Page 1 of 3
Been a long time since I've made a thread...anyways, here's another quality release from Skippy_Moogoose Industries

Well more of a pontification really, seeking others experiences...

So as some of you may know, I play in a band, with fairly regular gigs, discounting the lull due to exams, which ends friday with 3 gigs in 3 days, but anyway.

My band have played alongside many bands, and I always try and strike up conversation with them, particualy the bassists, in order to make friends and also find out about peoples gear, tone etc etc...

But it seems more and more apparent that very few bassists in my area (Birmingham UK) seem to really care about what equipment they use, with about 50 % seeming to have Thunderbirds (in one case an indie bands bassist attempted a slap solo on one...needless to say it sounded pretty horrible, just sort of indistinct thumping) and the others having various low quality basses, the best of which being the Peavey Milestone, which Im actually fond of. Now I know basses are expensive, and you can get attached to one you've owned for a long while, but many of these people seem to know very little about different basses, or like the one they have "cuz it looks good". The same goes for amplifiction, case in point, once I offered the use of my 300 watt R4,but I was told that the band we were supporting would supply amplification, which saved me the hassle of begging my mom for transport, however, turned up at the venue to find I had to use a 50 watt peavey practice amp, against a drum kit and a 120 watt guitar amp, we miked it up as best as possible, but I was basically totally unaudible, and more than a llittle pissed off, since I had offered a better amp and peoples ignorance had meant it was turned down.

Hell, last time we played Bar Academy, the band on after us didn't even have a bassist "cuz they don't matter" and again I offered my amp,and again was turned down and then found I had a 120 watt amp at my disposal against 2 100 watt guitar amps...sigh...

Anyways, I've waffled enough, my point is, do you guys and gals, like me, find your self the only bassist in your area who seems to have any knowledge or respect for your instrument/amplifictation, or at least has an idea as to why some basses are better than others, becuase Im so surprised after being on these forums, as everyone here has at least some knowledge and is always out to learn more, my fellow brummie bassists seem so close minded in comparison. I just can't belive all these people who are "so serious about music, and really wanna make it,and we will" have next to know knowledge, and more to the point, do not want to learn more, most couldnt tell a J from a P pick up...it just frustrates me.

So share your thoughts and stories people, come on, you know you wanna
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
haha lol, thats Birmingham! Newcastle, the heart of all good music.... and Venom.
I feel your pain, Im from Southern Indiana, USA and bassist are extremely rare here to begin with. EVRYONE who plays an instrument here plays guitar and its not uncommon for one bassist to be in 3 bands because were in such short supply. However most of the bassits you do find here are still jamming on a squire starter pack 3 years later and have no idea about chords or anything involving theory at all. One actually said to me once that he always " Just looked at where the guitarist was playing on the neck and improvised in the same spots" Its absolutely ridiculous how many people downtalk the bass. Many bands bassist are just guitarist who werent as good so they play bass for that band instead. Its quite disgraceful
Around my area there are very few bassists that I can say I respect, but those few are ridiculously talented. The rest of the bassist excluding those select few that leave me in awe always play squiers through behringers or fenders, play only root notes and think image>music and attitude>theory.

EDIT: On a side note, in Tijuana's scene strange things have been happening, Prog and Glam seem to be appearing a lot lately.
Last edited by watchingmefall at Jun 16, 2008,
I know what you mean bassists are few and far apart and i get a lot of practise standing for bands even with only a hundred watts.Most cases around here a guitarist will have taken up bass just to be able to play in a band caus ethere's so many guitarists and not enough bands. Many of themgo out and buy the coolest bass they can find and a behringer amp. It really annoy's me because i have managed to persuade some people to play bass and there getting better but cant find anyone to play with cause these guitarists turned bassist have taken all the slots. Sorry i went a bit of topic but ya.Too many people are going for looks more and more often. They seem to think its going to be amazing simple and there are only 2 other bassists in the area who i hold respect for which may sound mean but its my point.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Lots of the non-Indie people in Sheffield know what theyre talking about. The indie people only seem to play bass to be in a band and dress like c**ts
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
In my area, the bass guys are usually either clueless or experts. It's kinda weird. There are very few that know what a bass guy's job is though, they either want to play root notes, or they want to solo for the entire song. It's probably like that everywhere. I only really know of one guy that plays the bass the "right" way in an active band. Every band classified ad I have seen needs a bassist, and sometimes a drummer. I don't get it, bass is funner. I have a $2,800 custom electric and I always play my 20 year old bass that I bought for $100 at a pawn shop in high school.

I'm not saying I'm great though, all I can do is copy what other guys do. I don't know the theory behind making my own stuff up, but I'm not creative enough to do that anyway, so who cares, it's not like I'm ashamed of it, I have fun playing and that's all that matters.
Last edited by corndogggy at Jun 16, 2008,
Quote by watchingmefall
Around my area there are very few bassists that I can say I respect, but those few are ridiculously talented. The rest of the bassist excluding those select few that leave me in awe always play squiers through behringers or fenders, play only root notes and think image>music and attitude>theory.

Can you read my mind?
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

I guess I fall somewhat into the ignorant category. i dont know much theory, but enough to solo reasonably well. Though ive played for over four years, I still use a GSR 200, but it does the job required of it and can provide a reasonably good tone, not perfect though. Anyway I dont have the money to get a new bass anyway so im stuck with it whether i like it or not. Even if i wanted a new bass id still get an amp first, which i meant to get last year but other priorities popped up so i ended up just waiting a year, and now i dont even have any money to buy even a stagg. The amp i have is pretty horrid. Not that it farts or anything, its just not got many good tones, and its only bout 30 watts, so id get a new amp first.

However, my lack of knowledge and equipment is not because i don't care about bass, i love it. Its just ive got many other priorities above buying stuff for my bass guitar and learning complex theory in my life. I just play for the fun of it. I dont care much about the equipment i use, as long as i have fun using it and i can get a suitable tone that wont punish the audience im happy.

I cant stand buying equipment just for the looks though, with little care for the tone or playability of the equipment (except for noobs who are just starting out and know no better). its like theyre using the bass only to increace their sex appeal. Its completely pointless.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
I know what you mean. In my school, i feel like I am one of the few bassist that actually know my stuff about my bass and amp. A lot of people at my school just get one particular bass just because it looks cool.
i've just got one good friend who plays bass and he knows what he's talking about, he even moved on from his thunderbird and got a fender aerodyne jazz, however my other mate who tried to play guitar criticised my epi les paul despite owning a £70 strat copy
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
I think it's true of anything really - plenty of bassists aren't gearheads and just get Fender/Ampeg just like the millions of guitarists with Les Paul/Marshall. I was chatting to a guy I know who's in a band that are pretty well known in the area who got an Ampeg SVT and 810 and he said he didn't know a lot about amps and so just went for what he knows works. It's fair enough.
Just the fact that I come and read and post on these forums has increased my knowledge about bass and music in general substantially. Before I started coming to UG I didnt know diddly about bass. I guess these people just live in their own little bubble of suck and dont care to get out.
Another thing i couldnt stand when i was at school was when people would put every setting to maximum on the bass amp just so they could play as loudly as possible, not caring about the tone.

what made it even more stupid was this amp is right beside a pa system for the room, which can play louder than the behringer while still maintaining a very good tone, even with the ****ty p-bass copies that only had one tone anyway.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
I find most local bassists don't care too much. They have little respect for the nuances of proper fretting technique, so they get these things called 't-birds' and play those. it all sounds like pudding anyway.
But I find the guitarists in my area are total gear freaks. the worst guitar I've seen at a show in Southern California was probably an Epiphone Les Paul, which is actually a pretty nice guitar.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
lol. i know what you mean. Its really hard to start up a conversation with other bass players without them talking about how there squier has the best looks so that makes it the best.
Quote by RPGoof
Heavy metal indicates you are using meth, LSD, ecstasy or cocaine.
Quote by Foible776
lol. i know what you mean. Its really hard to start up a conversation with other bass players without them talking about how there squier has the best looks so that makes it the best.

Or how it is the best ever because it didn't cost alot.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by slap-a-bass
well you say basses are expensive i wonder what you would say if you played drums

just a nice thought provoker

a low end drum kit costs $350
a cheap, reliable starter bass is $200
a good 100 watt amp (not always enough, but the minimum for solid rock gigs, about $250, used, from a friend.

350>450?
no offense, but the thought you provoked was *facepalm*

maybe in higher prices it's more expensive, but where tightwads like me chill, bass is more expensive.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Most bands around here will have two guitarists sporting 50w+ Line 6 Spider's and their bassists always have 50w Spiders as well.....Or whatever the bass equivalent to the Spider is. (I've used one but never bothered looking at it closely.) Then one came on and the bassist had an Ampeg full stack......I would have personally congratulated him but he left too quickly so I left a long comment on their Myspace telling how good the show was.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
For me, the bass players I have run into in my area of the universe tend to either be really knowledgeable, but generous guys or elitist jerks. I had a former bass teacher who was one of the most generous people in sharing knowledge and gear tips; he loved to sit and shoot the **** about various pedals, tube vs solid state and why he felt this vs this piece of equipment had merit. He also had no reservation about handing a 2500USD bass over to a student and saying "here! try this bass out and see what I mean ' He was genuine in his love of the instrument. I also have him to blame for my Urge II gas, since he let me play his bass quite a bit.

The other group are the elitist jerks, who like to brag about the Sadowsky/high end Ampeg gear they own. ( I have an irrational fear of owning a Sadowsky because every Sadowsky owner I've met locally is like this..). They are like the bass world's version of the wine snob and remind me of the scene in Spinal Tap where Nigel Tufnel tells Martti DeBarge not to 'breathe' or 'look' at one of his guitars. Oh they talk about their gear in a very one up manship way, and have no reservation about telling you how expensive it all is. One of these guys played for a friend of mine's band. The funny thing is that with all of that damn high end gear, all he did was play basic variations on root - third - fifth the entire night.

Frankly I'd rather deal with the clueless Squier / Behringer kid in the local alt-rock band than one of the bass snobs. At least the kid is having fun playing music for the right reasons.
Woo, many stories, Ive yet to meet a gear snob, though Ive met a couple of wannabe-gear-snobs, who tried to be snobby with their squires and whatnot, before I pointed out that I had a fender, that was a precious moment...

The general bassist population round my area does seem to be indie-kids looking to get laid who can play roots better than their knock-off telecasters...seems to be similiar everywhere, keep them expereinces coming y'all
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I don't know any guitarists turned bassists in my area, I do know a guy who took up bass after finding guitar too hard, then went back to guitar because he found bass even harder...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by skippy_moogoose
keep them expereinces coming y'all
"y'all"? Please. You're from Birmingham in the West Midlands, not Birmingham Alabama.
Quote by smb
"y'all"? Please. You're from Birmingham in the West Midlands, not Birmingham Alabama.

hey..............
Some days, I'd happily forget half of my learned gear and tonal knowledge if in return I suddenly became a much more tehnically skilled, or creatively brilliant player. I've observed the same thing as the TS, and when I see these players, I always feel bad that I spent so much time fiddling with gear when I should have just been getting better at bass (not that I think gear is at all unimportant, I absolutely love tweaking my sound and experimenting with different tone, etc.)

I guess some people find the sound end interesting, and some people just want to play. How much of your style is determined by your equipment, and how much is determined by exactly what your hands are doing? I have to have both, but like I said, I occasionally regret this mindset.

edit* and I don't even have awesome gear so it's super frustrating to be sensative about gear quality
I know three bassists who i go to school with, 1 of them is a complete snob, thinks he knows everything, I'm not gonna be a jerk and say he sucks cuz he's an ass because he's good, it's just his attitude. when i first starrted the bass he had been playing before me for a few years and one day he started talking to me about it and said "Well I'm better than you so you should just give up." I hate him.
The 2nd one is my friend and he's only been playing a year or two more than me also, I'm friends with him and he is a great guy i would say we're on the same level now and he's helped me out alot
The 3rd is also my friend, he started a year ago and he was in a band and for their songs he played one note the entire time in groups of 8. it was the second fret of the E. But his bass was stolen and sold by his old drummer so he doesnt play anymore.

I don't think I'm a bass elitist or anything like that, i play cuz i love it, i love talking gear with people and i love just taking bass and jamming or learning things from those more experienced. I love learning it and its just fun to do
I probably have a high gear to talent and skill ratio, but more because I like new shiny things than because I'm worried about getting the perfect sound. With bass really there's a limit to how much effort it's worth putting in to get a particular sound since we're rarely the star of the show.
I want to say that in my area that most of the bassists are talented, generous, class-A folk. We do have the other end of the spectrum, those who plays squiers and Tbirds through small combos or just go straight into the PA because they have no amp at all, but most of them play for really crappy hardcore-breakdown bands. Not saying that all bassist who play in those type of bands are not very good, I even used to play in a band like that myself, but generally they're not very good.

I had the fortune of meeting a local bassist this weekend, one who was interested in buying my Peavey Fury 5 so he could play that in his (hXc) band. His current bass was a Washburn P-copy. Anyways, he plays the Fury, love it, done deal. I inform him that I'm going to the local music shop to play some amps and buy some strings, he should come. He does. On the drive there, we learn he has no amp, and either borrows one or goes straight into the PA. Once at the music shop, he goes straight for a Epi Tbird, plays it, falls in love, and promptly purchases it at $350 (at this time I' have face palmed at least twice). Comes to me while I'm playing through a Hartke amp and asks me if I would buy my Peavey back. All sales are final, and he says something like, "Oh well, it will be a good back-up for my Thunderbird." I tell him I have a Ibanez amp for sale that is right up his alley, but he insists that it is too small for the basements and small bars he plays, and that he needs a half stack to be able to play the shows.

I think that would define the type of bassists you were initially talking about.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Thinking through Anarkee's post... isn't it this kind of thing that breeds elitism?

Ben, can you elaborate a bit on that comment? I'm interested in your thoughts here.
Quote by anarkee
Ben, can you elaborate a bit on that comment? I'm interested in your thoughts here.

I wasn't saying you were becoming elitist The last paragraph got me thinking...

It just seems like this thread has stories where people are very much looking down on other bassists because they don't have the knowledge, don't have the head for gear and stuff, and making huge assumptions that "Indie bassists only do it to get laid." I'm not a huge gear head at all, I'll just use what sounds good and fits in with everything else nicely.

Looking down on someone just makes you think higher than yourself. We all know about the stick bassists get for being bassists, and all I hear is a huge "ZOMG, BASS IZ ZO IMPORTANTS!" The bass community doesn't like it. Yet is quite happy to turn around and sh*t on their own kind.

I've been on the receiving end of crap from other bassists when I started out, so I try not to do it. It sucks. So I try not to do it in turn. There's always going to be someone below you, but conversely there's always going to be someone above you, ready to drop a steamer on you.

Who are we to make assumptions about a person's intentions for playing bass? Who are we to look down on those who haven't got a clue? So what if the first thing someone bought in a shop is a TBird? It's their choice, don't think they're an idiot for it. We're all learning. Instead of hating on those who don't know, teach them instead.

It's this that breeds elitism- thinking that only a certain calibre of people are tr00 bassists and the such, which is the kind of vibe I'm getting from here. There's probably more I want to say, but for now, rant over.
Ben, I actually think you gotta point there. We are behaving like elitists in a way.
But I'm going to try to explain my stance, if say... A hardcore bassist comes and say theory is useless and he can manage with "the dotted frets" (actual story), this is a facepalm moment.
If this new bassist has no idea (no matter genre), but wants to learn, wants to be better and has that desire then I applaud him.

And just look at some of the bands in my area, just see these guys. Instead of learning theory or how to play they coordinate their jumps, really.

It may not even be that they aren't willing to learn. They just haven't hit something that made them think "wow, I should hit up some theory." If they're doing enough to get by, and that's all they want to do, good for them, you know? They're getting what they want out of bassplaying.
Quote by watchingmefall
Dear god, I am an elitist!
I agree, people shouldn't be pushed as I say, this just something in my brain I can't change. Kinda like OCD and stuff like that.

I don't know if this is sarcasm, the internt sucks for this kind of thing And we can't all become John Myungs and Les Claypools... the bass world would be a much more boring place if we were

If it is sarcasm- Not saying people should be pushed... but only if they're willing. Things get messy otherwise
Page 1 of 3