Well today i got a ds-1 from a friend just to sell it and just to give it a try, i plugged to my roland micro cube on clean channel. after trying it for a while i saw that the ds-1 was the same with micro cube. Is the famous cube distortion same as a cheap pedal? I thought that cube should be way better but no...
ummm...what do you expect from a ss practice amp?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
^Agreed, it's not gonna sound like a recto or something.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yea but so instead of getting a cube i could get a cheaper amp with more wattage than install this pedal i dont know. if its going to be the same with the cube 30x too then i will not buy cube 30x but buy a normal amp and get a great distortion pedal. would that be better:S?
What do you mean by a "normal" amp?
Tube?

If so, don't get a distortion pedal. Get a boost/OD.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by yoyodunno
Are you sure that you are able to tell the tonal differences in the distortions?

LoL im not stupid am i? sure i can understand it and it was the same. maybe a little difference. i opened this thread cos i thought ds-1 was not that good but it turned out to be same with a cube distortion...
Quote by blind.quardian
LoL im not stupid am i? sure i can understand it and it was the same. maybe a little difference. i opened this thread cos i thought ds-1 was not that good but it turned out to be same with a cube distortion...

I didn't mean that lol. I meant sometimes it takes a while to develop an ear for tone. And yeah of course boss makes the stuff.
Quote by blind.quardian
Yea but so instead of getting a cube i could get a cheaper amp with more wattage than install this pedal i dont know. if its going to be the same with the cube 30x too then i will not buy cube 30x but buy a normal amp and get a great distortion pedal. would that be better:S?

not necerally, an amp affect teh way a distortion pedal sounds. its very likely that the boss will sound differnt through maybe a fender frontman than your cube.
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
iv found that i used a boss super overdrive and a mxr distortion III. they sounded the same very much so.
my stuff
<><><><>
roland cube<---(anyone wanna buy it?)
b.c. rich mockingbird masterpiece<-----(is gunna get new electronics soon)
mxr 10-band EQ
crybaby 535Q wah <---(its awsome)
It's a micro cube, not a Classic 30. It's a cheap SS practice amp, it should sound like a cheap SS distortion pedal.
nate: at your roland cube and clean channel?
Last edited by blind.quardian at Jun 16, 2008,
ya i always use clean. i would suggest u getting the gear in my signature. u can get a good overdrive with the ten band eq. and the wah just works perfectly.
my stuff
<><><><>
mxr 10-band EQ
If the super overdrive and the mxr distortion sounds same with roland micro cube on clean channel so the pedals cant sound like they should on a cube then...
i found out that im guessing its preamp just sucks. it doesnt take pedals well at all.
u can boost the gain and volume and the overall eq. it seems to work pretty well. and the wah has like 5 different settings so its really good sounding with the cube.
my stuff
<><><><>
mxr 10-band EQ
Quote by darkarbiter7
What do you mean by a "normal" amp?
Tube?

If so, don't get a distortion pedal. Get a boost/OD.

i feel the need to highlight that because i never have understood peoples issue with that. I get lots of compliments on my tone, and mostly, outside of home use, i run a big muff through a clean amp with some natural breakup, with a massive boost so that it adds to that natural drive whilst putting the transistorised distortion underneath it, it really growls, like a slashed speaker. I also use a Boss DS-2 as a treble boost on the drive channel, which can give me a rich, smooth lead tone similar to brian may. Yes, i also use a jackhammer overdrive, for marshally tones, but it doesn't do the job any better than the boss distortion despite being an overdrive/boost, it just gives a different flavour to the tone.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Prices off Thomann.de:

Microcube 98e

DS-1 49e
Harley Benton CG15 (15 watt amp, I'm pretty sure it's outright terrible) 29e

That comes up as 78e.
You save 20e, but you get a LOT crappier amp. If your amp is gonna cost under 30e, don't except even decent cleans out of it - the Microcube will have better cleans. Not to mention that 15 watts SS is hardly more useful than 2 watts, maybe you can jam with it a little better, but band practice? No. Next up (in wattage) is a Harley Benton 20 watt amp for 59e, which comes up as more than what the Microcube costs. With those amps you'll miss the effects too, which although not that good, can be useful. So I believe the Microcube is a better buy, even if the tones would be of equal quality (with some other amp and DS-1).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Blompcube
i feel the need to highlight that because i never have understood peoples issue with that. I get lots of compliments on my tone, and mostly, outside of home use, i run a big muff through a clean amp with some natural breakup, with a massive boost so that it adds to that natural drive whilst putting the transistorised distortion underneath it, it really growls, like a slashed speaker. I also use a Boss DS-2 as a treble boost on the drive channel, which can give me a rich, smooth lead tone similar to brian may. Yes, i also use a jackhammer overdrive, for marshally tones, but it doesn't do the job any better than the boss distortion despite being an overdrive/boost, it just gives a different flavour to the tone.

I just recommend an OD/Boost with a tube amp just to get more dirt out of it if needed.
Just for versatility's sake.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I just recommend an OD/Boost with a tube amp just to get more dirt out of it if needed.
Just for versatility's sake.

thats what i do with a boss DS-2. For some people, it would be more versatile to have a distortion pedal to run through the clean channel to give a contrast of valve overdrive and transistor overdrive.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
It wasnt a how to boost thread. It was a thread about my disappointment because the ds-1 and cube's r-fier was the same. will cube 30x differ a lot from micro cube? I want a real heavy distortion.
Quote by Blompcube

Well the muf sounds good because all muffs are amazing. I'm GAS'ing over an english muff'n right now after some guy at our guitar jam brought one in to show off. Of course its a tube preamp but still. The DS-2 I can't explain though, never used it.

^Guardian: If you have a humbucker guitar with a mahogany body, get a muff of some sort. I'd recommend (you guessed it) the english muff'n. with a les paul it sounds real thick and heavy (think Enter Sandman style distortion)
---▲===
Pink Floyd
Last edited by Grimpenguin at Jun 16, 2008,
The cube 30x will probably sound a bit heavier because of the bigger speaker, but other than that, i'm not sure how heavy you could get.

Blompcube:

Oh yeah, that's a smart idea too.
But, I don't like too much transistor distortion. I just use my OD's as a boost.

But alot of people like to have a distortion box to instantly go from clean to distorted. And I could see how this would be useful for metal and modern rock. But, I only use cleans and cleaner OD, so a boost is really all I need.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
so ok im a bit confused. i know have a basswood ibanez with desinged by emg pickups so for my next amp (cant spend a lot) should i get a cube 30x or a non-modeller amp and a metal muff? what you say.
When i tried the DS-1 i was really, really dissapointed, so i took it back (should've tried before buyed/bought. Some time later, i wanted a heavier sound and an OD pedal to get a nice light distortion. I tried out the Tube Screamer and it blew me away. What an upgrade, i love it. It pushes my amp and also adds another channel which i need now because my amp is only footswitchable with 2 channels.

But you need a tube amp IMO.

EDIT: ^ TS, don't rely on pedals. You really will NOT get the full potential out of good pedals with a SS amp. Buy yourself a good little tube amp if you can't spend much. even go that extra 100 dollars if you need to, it's better to save a bit extra for something ALOT better, i know form experience.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Last edited by b00m_ at Jun 17, 2008,
I had a Digitech Grunge before. It's gets heavier then the DS-1. Try it out at a local shop.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
The microcube is a digital amp so I guess they did an excellent job at modeling their pedal.
Ibanez valbee is the only small tube amp that i can think of that will do metal out of the box. Of course you could hook up the ds-1 to a clean tube amp, but it wouldn't be very good heavy metal.
You could always get your DS-1 modded. It's a pedal with a lot of potential, if you're willing to pay the extra to have it modified.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay