I know I should learn theory, and I have decided to several times now, but nothing is helping me learn. Ive been using the guitar method books by hal leonard, but those dont work out for me. Do you think the first step should be learning the notes on the fretboard?
Quote by AlskiOverload
I know I should learn theory, and I have decided to several times now, but nothing is helping me learn. Ive been using the guitar method books by hal leonard, but those dont work out for me. Do you think the first step should be learning the notes on the fretboard?

Yes

then learn all your scales, how to form arpeggios, modes etc
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
I also suggest you pick up the Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory, not guitar specific but it will give you a very good grounding in how everything works and whatnot.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Well when I was doing that I would close my eyes and fret random notes, then look down and identify what note i fingered.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
learning all the notes on the fretboard is fine but it's not like it's going to make a bulb in your head go off and you're going to be playing over changes overnight.

The best way is to get a good teacher - not some power chord type - but someone who is going to help you work on reading, standards and things like that.

Once you start to play music that has been composed and arranged you start to recognize changes and things and everything will make a lot more sense because you'll start to learn about something and you'll be able to use it in your own music.
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Jun 16, 2008,
Look for a program called "Absolute Fretboard Trainer"... You gotta pay for it but I'm positive you can get it somewhere online for free.

The interface looks old school but it works.
my teacher had me learn the major scale played from the root notes...not only does it teach you scales, it teaches you notes on the fretboard...at the same time i learned all different jazz chords that helped me get used to where the notes were
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"