Page 1 of 2
I'm building a new computer, the parents are funding it for college.

I know the basics of a computer, and I'm sure I can build one fine once I get the parts together. It's basically just plug in stuff and it works, maybe a bit more.

Point is, I want a computer that can run Crysis fine, and WoW and stuff.

I'm looking for a motherboard that has SATA, able to support an AMD dual core, can have dual nvidia SLI vid cards, and DDR2 ram.

Now, I'm a noob, so I think those are all good things to have. If they aren't, and you know a better motherboard for gaming, let me know.

Or, a better way of asking what I want to ask: What's the best set up for a gaming computer?

Thank you all in advance.
Don't waste your money on SLI. You need to say what kind of budget you have or I can't help you.
Intel Core 2 Duo will be better for games, and a budget would be a good starting point for us to give you a hand
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

I'd say around 700 dollars is my budget, maybe more. I can get more money later to upgrade though.
Ask i have to pee. He knows a lot about these things.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Only buy a second video card once you're done building the rig, there's only a 60% performance boost, and a 30% boost for a third card. If you're looking for a decent computer in today's terms, a quad core would be the way to go. Dual core processors are old technology. Intel and AMD have basically no differences in value, so don't limit yourself by biasing with one company. All modern boards support SATA, in fact, most support eSATA, and the newest boards are now supporting DDR3 memory modules. Right now, DDR3 is a pretty new technology, and thus, it's expensive. My suggestion is, if you have a large budget, go for a DDR3 motherboard (yes, a motherboard can only support either DDR2, or DDR3), otherwise, DDR2 can be almost as good with some proper overclocking. When building a computer, start with the motherboard. I'd spend the most amount of cash of this (in proportion to the cost of each item separately), then choose the processor, then the ram, video card, and other. Hope this has helped you somewhat.
Father ov Terror!
Abu ol-Hol
enter the pylon
thru' the galleys ov past
catacombs ov night
into the starry womb

www.belphegor.at
well for a CPU as i said i would go for an Intel Core 2 Duo, you can get a 2.2GHz for about £50 ($100) over here in the UK

i'd look into Asus for motherboards, possibly the P5N-D which you can pick up here for about £90 ($180) which has support for DDR2 800 RAM. As for RAM itself i wouldn't get more than 2Gb unless you are planning on using 64-bit Windows (or other OS), as 32-bit can only recognise up to 3.5Gb total, including graphics memory.

graphics wise, well, i'm in love with my nVidia 8800GTS it runs Crysis brilliantly

Edit: actually i'd say the M/board mentioned above my post would be better
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Quote by Led Pepplin

Motherboard : EVGA 680i (or 780i if you get more money)
CPU : Intel C2D E8400
RAM : 4GB DDR2 PC6400 (800mHz)
H-D: Seagate 500 GB 16MB Cache SATA
GPU : XFX 8600 GT XXX in SLI(or eVGA 8800 GT SLI if you get more money)
CPU : 550W
CASE : Antec 900 gamer case

Check for the parts on newegg/ncix/tigerdirect.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Just buy a small laptop that can run vista...dont waste your money on games/gaming hardware.
"Even though I've found God, I still love blow jobs, and I still say fuck." - Dave Mustaine

You know, when you, like, you grab a woman's breast and it's... and you feel it and... it feels like a bag of sand when you're touching it.
Quote by irongoat666
well for a CPU as i said i would go for an Intel Core 2 Duo, you can get a 2.2GHz for about £50 ($100) over here in the UK

i'd look into Asus for motherboards, possibly the P5N-D which you can pick up here for about £90 ($180) which has support for DDR2 800 RAM. As for RAM itself i wouldn't get more than 2Gb unless you are planning on using 64-bit Windows (or other OS), as 32-bit can only recognise up to 3.5Gb total, including graphics memory.

graphics wise, well, i'm in love with my nVidia 8800GTS it runs Crysis brilliantly

Edit: actually i'd say the M/board mentioned above my post would be better

Depending on the speed of the memory modules, should determine the amount you buy. For instance, a DDR1200 1gb overclocking kit will perform alongside a DDR800 2gb kit. Obviously, the DDR1200 would be more expensive, but if you're an enthusiast, these are a must. And, unless you're running a higher resolution (ie. 1680X1050), the 8800GTS isn't worth the money. At lower resolutions, the 8800GT outperforms the GTS. With $200 less on the price tag.
Father ov Terror!
Abu ol-Hol
enter the pylon
catacombs ov night
into the starry womb

www.belphegor.at
The amount of software that can actually use all 4 cores does not fit the price. A 3.0 ghz wolsdale core 2 is less expensive than a 2.2 quad
Quote by Chaosinborn
The amount of software that can actually use all 4 cores does not fit the price. A 3.0 ghz wolsdale core 2 is less expensive than a 2.2 quad

It will in time, the world of technology changes every day. If you want to keep up, you have to buy the newer technology.

EDIT: Plus, the 2.2 quad is more expensive because it is faster, even with only 2 cores running. The newer quad-cores have 45nm, compared to the 65nm of the earlier quads, and duos. This means there is less distance to travel, ultimately making the processor as a whole faster, making room for bigger L2 caches, and thus, less calculations to handle. Bigger, better, stronger, that kind of thing.
Father ov Terror!
Abu ol-Hol
enter the pylon
catacombs ov night
into the starry womb

www.belphegor.at
Last edited by diablomastabarb at Jun 16, 2008,
For gaming, the E8400 is going to beat the Q6600 any day. Besides, everything is going to get replaced by the 45nm processors, so you're really getting a good "future proof" product when you go with the Core 2 extremes. He obviously can't afford a 1.5k processor anyways.

As somebody else said, games aren't optimized for quads yet. I beleive you might see a [tiny] performance boost in Crysis, but that's about it. Quads are great for multitasking or heavily processor dependant stuff like video rendering or editing, CAD, sound engineering.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Last edited by Cynoxx at Jun 16, 2008,
Quote by diablomastabarb
It will in time, the world of technology changes every day. If you want to keep up, you have to buy the newer technology.

EDIT: Plus, the 2.2 quad is more expensive because it is faster, even with only 2 cores running. The newer quad-cores have 45nm, compared to the 65nm of the earlier quads, and duos. This means there is less distance to travel, ultimately making the processor as a whole faster.

I think that there's 45nm Core 2 Duos out as well.
Quote by diablomastabarb
Depending on the speed of the memory modules, should determine the amount you buy. For instance, a DDR1200 1gb overclocking kit will perform alongside a DDR800 2gb kit. Obviously, the DDR1200 would be more expensive, but if you're an enthusiast, these are a must. And, unless you're running a higher resolution (ie. 1680X1050), the 8800GTS isn't worth the money. At lower resolutions, the 8800GT outperforms the GTS. With $200 less on the price tag.

well he may want to run at that resolution or higher

Quote by Led Pepplin

Ok, so far I have this for a computer set up:

Mother board:

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

$200

Processor:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

$210

Video Card:

EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

$190

RAM:

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

$90

Hard Drive:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

$80

I found them all one Newegg. Is that a decent computer?
Quote by irongoat666
well he may want to run at that resolution or higher

And he's probably going to. At least I hope! Getting all that hardware to run it on a 17inch CRT would suck.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
**** AMD dual core, get a Quad core intel. Very cheap nice, GREAT ****ING POWER TO PRICE RATIO!

My new pc arrived today, setting it up tomorrow hopefully.

Quadcore q6600.
8 gigs of ram (4 was free)
9600gt nvidia 512mb (best value price to power ratio card which will be long supported, good alternative to a 8800gt)
22inch flatty screen, widescreenz with dual DVI-D.
5.1 surround
Nforce 750i Asus mobo, 2 way sli.

Don't pay for anything more than a 8800gt, 9600gt or possibly one of those 9880GTX somethings.

Some new cards were out today and they were a let down but they will affect prices wildly.

I would be careful about "SLI" before you buy into the option. You don't always get the power you deserve to get/pay for, but its a nice option down the line.

Hope this helps you...

PS - my case is full of headsinks and big ****ing fans and made of cool aluminium, I think some overclocking will go down in the future....
Quote by Life Lease
Should I downgrade the processor to a dual core?

It's not a downgrade. As a matter of fact, it's an upgrade. Do NOT get a Quad unless you're planning to do like 3D graphic rendering or video editing... that sort of thing.

You're going to get better performance with a Dual-core like a E8400 (which is the alter ego of the Q6600, a quad).

Just give me a minute and I'll pull out the benchmarks.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Expensive ways to go:

DDR3 Memory
PCI-E 2.0
Quad Core processors
Dual core SLi Graphics cards (so with 2, that's FOUR graphics processors)
Quote by Cynoxx
It's not a downgrade. As a matter of fact, it's an upgrade.

Can you look at the parts I posted and give me cheaper/better alternatives?

I want the cheapest/efficient computer I can get.
Quote by Life Lease
Can you look at the parts I posted and give me cheaper/better alternatives?

I want the cheapest/efficient computer I can get.

I did. Check out the first page.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
lol "Can run crysis and WoW fine"

They are to completely different graphical games.

Budget please? And I would advise you wait until the new ATI and the nvidia GTX 260 is out, that should bring prices down on current graphics cards.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Expensive ways to go:

DDR3 Memory
PCI-E 2.0
Quad Core processors
Dual core SLi Graphics cards (so with 2, that's FOUR graphics processors)

DDR3 is expensive and not viable at this moment, poor support.
PCI-E 2.0 Yes.
Quad Cores - yes.

Stick with Intel; they are ruling everything at the moment. So is Nvidia apart from the cards out today (ignore those).

Your suggestion on graphics cards is unviable unless you think spending £1000+ on graphics cards is okay.
I'm looking for about 750-850 for a machine, but if you guys can get it lower, that'd be awesome.
You guys are funny with the Quad Cores... you're just going crazy because it sounds cooler than dual core...

Did you know that :

Q6600 is 65nm : more power, less overclocking.
E8400 is 45nm : less power, more overclocking, better clock speeds. 45nm is the new stuff.

NOW,

The Q6600 is a phenomenal processor. I'm even getting it for my build. But the point is that :

1. Costs more.
2. Less performance versus E8400 WHEN IT COMES TO GAMING.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Quote by Cynoxx
You guys are funny with the Quad Cores... you're just going crazy because it sounds cooler than dual core...

Did you know that :

Q6600 is 65nm : more power, less overclocking.
E8400 is 45nm : less power, more overclocking, better clock speeds.

Thats bollocks about the overclocking and not relative at all.

Quadcore is way more future proof. Why do people never consider driver, software and overall support?

Why in Gods name would you buy a dualcore when you could get a (better) quadcore for hardly any more?
Quote by Life Lease
Ok, so far I have this for a computer set up:

Mother board:

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

$200

Processor:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

$210

Video Card:

EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

$190

RAM:

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

$90

Hard Drive:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

$80

I found them all one Newegg. Is that a decent computer?

Don't spend so much money on the motherboard. You also need a case and power supply and optical drives.
Quote by Jackolas

Quadcore is way more future proof. Why do people never consider driver, software and overall support?

Why in Gods name would you buy a dualcore when you could get a (better) quadcore for hardly any more?

He's right 45nm are easier to overclock. But the Q6600 does overclock well.
Quote by Jackolas

Better? How so? Show me.

How is it future proof? It's a 65nm processor! It's old technology! The newer woldale dual cores are 45nm, brand spanking new.

How is it bullocks? Overclocking just means more voltage going through your cpu. If your processor takes less power that means less heat that means more voltage can go through that mean more overclocking.

Quote by Donaldguitar
He's right 45nm are easier to overclock. But the Q6600 does overclock well.

Precisely.

As I said, I love the quads, I'm getting one for my build because I use my computer as a synth and I do alot of audio engineering. But for what he's going to do (gaming), the E8400 performs better.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Quote by Life Lease

Yes, but the motherboard costs too much for your build and the CPU is a bit ****ty.
You don't need a motherboard with SLI.

Optical drives are the things you put CDs inside of.
Quote by Donaldguitar
Don't spend so much money on the motherboard. You also need a case and power supply and optical drives.

This threads full of ****. The motherboard is possibly the most important part of the computer of all, it influences everything. You need to get the best performing and most future proof board you can for the ££££/$$$$

TS I suggest you take this over to hexus.net where they will help you in an unbiased and friendly manner.
Quote by Donaldguitar
Yes, but the motherboard costs too much for your build and the CPU is a bit ****ty.
You don't need a motherboard with SLI.

Optical drives are the things you put CDs inside of.

Can you suggest a mobo that is cheaper and works with that CPU?
Quote by Life Lease
Can you suggest a mobo that is cheaper and works with that CPU?

Do not economise on the mobo. You can take my advice or listen to ill advice, it's up to you.
Page 1 of 2