If you've got a **** amp and install a new, really nice speaker, will it make a difference in the tone? Also will different, more expensive tubes make a difference in the tone of a tube amp? If so how do they make a difference?
Yes they make a difference, but they won't make a bad amp sound good.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
It all makes a difference. A speaker will have more effect, but a crap amp is a crap amp. You can't polish a turd.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
It all makes a difference. A speaker will have more effect, but a crap amp is a crap amp. You can't polish a turd.
This.

You'd be surprised how much difference a speaker makes, but a crap amp won't benefit by it at all.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Yeah, it won't make a bad amp good, but it'll make an already good amp have a different tonal flavor and make it all around "better" in some cases.

And yeah, let's say if your amp comes with Sovteks.
Getting a nicer set of tubes will change the tone. and if you're changing from sovteks, your tone can only get better (IMO)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yes speakers can make A LOT of difference. However, it depends on the amp. For an example a great amp with a **** speaker will sound quite bad, but a good speaker in a crap amp, won't be good either.

But also, speakers can affect the tone to suit you mroe or less. I changed out my V30 in my Orange for a Red Fang for an example.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
what kind of amp, tubes and speakers do you have?
Amps: Vox AC-30 and a Modified Peavey Classic Vt.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul and a Schecter 7-string.
MFX & Pedals: Line 6 Pod Xt, Jekyll & Hyde overdrive/distortion pedal and a Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive.