Hey,
My drummer wants to do When the Levee Breaks by Led Zepplin, so I looked at the tab, but I'm not sure how to tune the guitar; the tuning is
1- C
2- A
3- F
4- C

It doesn't say what 5 and 6 are... I've messed around in a few weird tunings before, but I was clearly explained how to tune it via Youtube.

Can someone tell me how to tune this? I have a standard tuner, a capo if needed, and a good ear
Last edited by mulletboy14 at Jun 16, 2008,
these are the top 4 strings. The high E is tuned down 2 steps to C. The B one step to A, the G one step to F and the D one step to C.

Logically the A would be tuned one step down to G and the low E 2 steps to C aswell.
Quote by Mjolk
these are the top 4 strings. The high E is tuned down 2 steps to C. The B one step to A, the G one step to F and the D one step to C.

Logically the A would be tuned one step down to G and the low E 2 steps to C aswell.

Actually, I'm pretty sure (it's been a while) the song is tuned FACFAC
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Actually, I'm pretty sure (it's been a while) the song is tuned FACFAC

It says it's CAFC in the most popular tab, but it is only a tab.
Ah, the next most popular is CFCFAC...
CAFC could be a tuning for a mandolin or something like that.

I don't know, gotta listen to the song.

[edit] No there's no mandolin in there
Quote by mulletboy14
It says it's CAFC in the most popular tab, but it is only a tab.
Ah, the next most popular is CFCFAC...

I just looked and CFCFAC is definitely right.
And the chord is C with a fourth, and a diminished 7th. I'm not sure what you would call that.
It's been a long time but is the most popular tab correct? I'm looking to give this a go very soon! I've loved it for years and never had the balls to try it. I conquered a few of their other songs, now is the time to try this... Supposedly the tuning is a throw off and it's really not even that hard? The tab doesn't look that challenging, I guess .
The times they are a changin'.....
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
And the chord is C with a fourth, and a diminished 7th. I'm not sure what you would call that.
WOW! C 4th diminished 7th! Shit man, give me some of that stuff yer smokin'

I don't know if that's the right tuning or not, but a C an F and an A is a called an "F chord."

F-I
A-III
C-V

Page's ghee-tar is tuned to an F chord. Here's some open F tunings
CFCFAC V-I-V-I-III-V (Open G down a whole step)
FACFAC I-III-V-I-III-V (Dobro G down a whole step)
FACFCF I-III-V-I-V-I
FCFACF I-V-I-III-V-I (Like and Open E up a 1/2 step)

This guy's using CFCFAC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjNzmvJ1ScY
Sounds pretty close too me.
Quote by JBoyShyne
WOW! C 4th diminished 7th! Shit man, give me some of that stuff yer smokin'

I don't know if that's the right tuning or not, but a C an F and an A is a called an "F chord."

F-I
A-III
C-V

Page's ghee-tar is tuned to an F chord. Here's some open F tunings
CFCFAC V-I-V-I-III-V (Open G down a whole step)
FACFAC I-III-V-I-III-V (Dobro G down a whole step)
FACFCF I-III-V-I-V-I
FCFACF I-V-I-III-V-I (Like and Open E up a 1/2 step)

This guy's using CFCFAC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjNzmvJ1ScY
Sounds pretty close too me.

Except that the post a replied to, was replying to a post that said there was a G which makes an Fadd9 chord, dumbass. I was still wrong in trying to make C the root note and calling the major 6 a diminished 7, but don't reply to a three year old comment to tell me I'm wrong when you're also wrong, dick.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Your post speaks for itself, Dipshit!
Quote by JBoyShyne
Your post speaks for itself, Dipshit!

Okay, yes, I was wrong on a 3 year old post. I was still closer to being right then you were when you bothered replying, because as you didn't pay enough attention to notice, he asked about a tuning that had a G in it.
Who asked about a G?

I checked out some live recordings and Page does the tune in G using open G low to high DGDGBD. The studio recording is either open F (CFCFAC) a whole step down from open G or open G with Page messing with the tape speed.

Who cares about the age of the thread? If you google when the levee breaks and tuning, you arrive at this thread.

BTW, MT, why are you such an angry little shit? I have turds bigger than you and I've been playing ghee-tar more years than twice your age. You're too young to be so bitter. And show some effin' respect to your elders, PUNK!
Quote by JBoyShyne
Who asked about a G?

I checked out some live recordings and Page does the tune in G using open G low to high DGDGBD. The studio recording is either open F (CFCFAC) a whole step down from open G or open G with Page messing with the tape speed.

Who cares about the age of the thread? If you google when the levee breaks and tuning, you arrive at this thread.

BTW, MT, why are you such an angry little shit? I have turds bigger than you and I've been playing ghee-tar more years than twice your age. You're too young to be so bitter. And show some effin' respect to your elders, PUNK!

The post I replied to asked about a G, as I said.
Respect is earned, not taken. **** off.

EDIT: More detailed response now that I'm on my own computer. There very first response, the one that was being asked about says there's a G. You would know that had you known the thread. Instead you gave an answer to a three year old question that was even more incorrect than mine. Mine had improper names given but still implied the right notes, while your answer did not acknowledge the G note that was part of the question. Now you are being a prick to me because you think your age makes you superior. Read threads before you reply, and act your age.
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at Jul 8, 2011,
Dickstein, my post was written in response to your moronic post in which you called an F chord a C 4th diminished 7th. That's it! In response you called me a dumbass and said my post was wrong. My post was not wrong and musically, I am not a dumbass. If you noticed, I also explained open F tunings and explained how all it is is open G down a whole step. So do piss off you little shit.

I frequently use alternative tunings on both bottleneck and lap steel. For more info on open tunings, check out Brad's Page of Steel at http://www.well.com/user/wellvis/tuning.html For info on string gauges for various tunings, check out http://www.hawaiiansteel.com/learning/gauges.php
Last edited by JBoyShyne at Jul 9, 2011,
Quote by JBoyShyne
Dickstein, my post was written in response to your moronic post in which you called an F chord a C 4th diminished 7th. That's it! In response you called me a dumbass and said my post was wrong. My post was not wrong and musically, I am not a dumbass. If you noticed, I also explained open F tunings and explained how all it is is open G down a whole step. So do piss off you little shit.

There is no G in an F chord. There IS a G in the chord that was being asked about. Again, read the thread, and act your age.