for the last year or so i have been practicing the different techniques in shredding for example;
tapping
sweep picking
hammers,pull-offs
tremolo picking
alternate picking

however i dont know any scales yet so my question is...
what are the basic scales to know in shredding? i don't know if this counts for sweeping too but i need to know the main scales.

thanks
xxx

killing is my business... and business is good
Natural minor and harmonic minor are mostly used, but you should go out of your way to learn the major scale if you havnt done anything yet
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
the basic major and minor are the first to learn, as well as the pentatonic. it would probably be good to learn the harmonic minor and phrygian, cuz they aren't that different and are commonly used as well. once you learn these, the rest come easily
Uh, you need to know a lot of scales, and you should probably take music theory courses if you're asking questions like this. Solos are based off of improvised scales. You take a scale and make your own melody with it. Besides using the "main" scales there are tons of variations. If you use only major and minor scales you're going to sound the same every time.

Also sweeping is breaking up a chord into individual notes played in one "sweep". It's not a scale.

You should probably go buy a few books. One on scales, one on sweeping and one on music theory.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
where it said tapping i thought it said fapping
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Quote by wicket_nirvana
where it said tapping i thought it said fapping

LOL wut?

thanks people, ill look up the scales that you all mentioned, damn being self taught is a bitch
xxx

Quote by kwidjibo1

...damn being self taught is a bitch

It really isn't. All you have to do is search online. There are TONS of various resources that could teach you everything you'd need to know on music theory. I mean it's not like having a teacher means you automatically learn the material; you still have to work at it.
yeah but finding the lessons which show you exactly how to do it is hard. i cant learn something just by watching their fingering, i need the tab or whatever to read.
xxx

Learn to train your ear (either take a music class in school or something, or study online). It will become your single most valuable tool for studying music/theory. And believe me, I've been there--I know it's frustrating at first and all you wanna do is take the easy way out by reading tabs. Just give it some effort...listen to scales played in steps, arpeggiated, forwards, backwards, chord changes, harmonies, key changes, etc. Eventually you will no longer need tabs.