(Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong place..)

Basically, me and my best friend have formed a band with dual vocals, but we can't find a guitarist, bassist or drummer who we like and are as 'in to it' as we are; and we had an idea. Could we (in theory) record our tracks 'kareoke' style, and play those recordings through a laptop live, and just sing over them.. I know it's not the most desirable way to play live but we can't really wait to get started.

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place; and thanks.
Third out in the MOD contest '08.
I'm going to go with: Possibly, but I wouldn't come to see you all.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
me and a mate of mine had the same problem and we had the idea that because we are multi-instrumental musicians we would record the different instruments separately and add together by computer but live we would just go up and both play guitar, like duet soloing an stuff,

but we found the band now lol
xxx

killing is my business... and business is good
Quote by I Be Andyy
I'm going to go with: Possibly, but I wouldn't come to see you all.

Ah man.. why not?

And what do we need..? Just a laptop, microphones and a.. PA to audio wire?
Yeah, I'd say do it, but only temporarily. Use your shows to attract the attention of potential band members who could play with you.

Quote by JamMan*
Ah man.. why not?

Well, you need the PA as well. But if you're going to go somewhere that already has one, you don't need to bring your own mics (unless you want to). Just the laptop/mp3 player and a cable.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
You could, but nobody will come see you. Unless you played two of the instruments while singing, then you might be able get away with recording the other instruments.
eh, no good. why don't you just go ahead and stick to karaoke bars for now?

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, I'd say do it, but only temporarily. Use your shows to attract the attention of potential band members who could play with you.

Well, you need the PA as well. But if you're going to go somewhere that already has one, you don't need to bring your own mics (unless you want to). Just the laptop/mp3 player and a cable.

That's the thing we were going for, at the beginning and end of each gig we play just say.. 'if anyone wants to be in the band.. come up and say hi..". lol.

Quote by HeavenlyVirus
you don't play guitar?
then why are you on UG?

I started to learn, but had to sell my guitar because we were behind on rent one month.. But Kurt (the other guy) has a laptop etc.

Quote by tyronelab
So let me get this straight? You can play the instruments but won't? How about you play guitar and sing at the same time as so many people do?

I can't play and sing at the same time, and this would be quicker than learning to do so. I'd rather have the freedom to be a 'frontman' right now, I'd love to be able to do both at once, but if I had to choose, it'd be singing; Kurt doesn't play anything.
Last edited by JamMan* at Jun 16, 2008,
Who says you have to play shows?
I made a "band" where everything is played by myself and I just recorded some songs. Who says being in a band is about playing shows. Being in a band is playing music and having fun. Don't be in it for the fame.
I'm sorry, but unless you two are the most amazing songwriters who have ever walked the earth, that would be a painfully lame concert experience. Just hang tight until you can play the guitar well enough to sing at the same time. Work on songs, look for band members, etc. while you learn. Karaoke shows would do more harm than good at this stage.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Yes, its been done by a band called airhammer I think,

Doesnt sound as interesting as you would think however.....
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Yeah, why not. All, Buckethead does is play over his tracks live, he doesn't even edit out the recorded guitar in some of this performances.
Quote by JamMan*
Ah man.. why not?

Well, mostly because I don't live in the UK..and because guitar is a good thing to hear live.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA