What would the picking be on the standard box of the blues scale, like 3-5 on the 4th string, then 3-5-6 on the 3rd, and so on. I just want one octave, the higher one. I can't figure out how to pick it and its slowing me down
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

up down up down up down up down up down theres a few ways you could do it....... strict up down is one way, you could aslo pick it "economy style" where you always make and upstroke to go up a string and do a downstroke hwen you go down a string......... . egg babies
Or you could go down up down up down up down up. Learn starting with both a down and an upstroke. It will strengthen your muscle memory and make your alternate picking much smoother.

Also, by just saying "the higher octave", you really aren't being clear. The blues scale will reach as high as your fretboard will allow, but i do understand what you are saying. Learn all of the posistions of the blues scale for every string, and use strict alternate picking.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jun 16, 2008,
I know, I've been using alternate picking for months. The picking just seemed off here, so I thought I'd check. I decided to add a pull off where I have 3 notes on 1 string so its like I'm alternate picking regular pentatonics. Thanks though!
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Make alternate picking (D U D U) your bitch.

It is the most important technique for speed.

Yes, listen to Sue. Going from playing 2 nps to 3 nps back to 2nps will be very bennificial to your alternate picking. Yes, there are other, easier ways to do it, but you will only get better by pushing your own limits!
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR