Hi I was wondering if you had any opinions on this guitar. It is the Bill Joe Armstrong Les Paul Jr. I have searched the forums, but the topics posted have turned into a bashing fest, of the man. I am looking for an honest opinion, of the guitar. I will admit I am a fan of his, BUT I woulnt buy anything just because his name is on it. There already is enough posts, dissing his abilities and his band, can we focus on the guitar.
thanks
I'm sure it's a nice guitar, but you're paying a lot for the name on the headstock (well, both of them, actually).
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I played one and it was OK. It hs a slim neck, one thing I like about my old LPJr is the big neck. It also has a P-100 which sounds good but different then the P-90.

The only thing I know about BJA is I saw Greenday for about 10 minutes when they did a free concert in Boston my first semester of college and there was a riot - i think it was 94.

Maybe people hate him so they hate his guitar. I don't really understand that, as I'm not a huge Clapton fan but really like his sig model Fender - the one with Lace and the slightly larger neck - the new one is too skinny.

Interestingly, Gibson seems to have stopped making the 750.00 LP Juniors so it's a shame. MF even had the SG Jr for a while really cheap which means there's an expensive model of that coming.

Nothing that sells is overpriced. If people buy them they're priced right
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Jun 16, 2008,
I've heard good and bad things, one being that it's overpriced.

But either than that, I think it sounded as good as an LP Jr. Has some other pickups, that are like, "noiseless" or something.
I played one through a Famous Cobra, I liked it, gave me a nice power metal tone even. The P-100's a good pickup and the neck was very nice, one thing though but I'm sure this applies to all Gibsons is the neck joint...it bothered the **** out of me.
cool, thanks alot everyone, I appreciate it.
Also You speak of that $750.00 LP junior at musicians, do you know if their made in America? tks.
I dont dislike Billy or anything but his flat top signature guitar is ugly as ****.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
I dont dislike Billy or anything but his flat top signature guitar is ugly as ****.

It's all opinion. I mean, IMHO a white LP Junior is a lot less stupid then an Asian copy of Zakk Wylde's guitar.

Everyone likes different things.
That was just pointless.
Digging the guys guitar cos he doesn't like the look of a guitar, how can a guitar be stupid?
That's like saying "Your Washburn sucks but my Charvel does not".
As you've said, it's all opinion. Don't try to dig at people and act like it's justified, I ain't getting into an argument tonight so I'll leave this one open.

And to actually add to the thread, I personally wouldn't pay (not sure what the price is now but when it first came out it was around) £1500 for an LP Jr just cos it has some slight differences and BJA's name on it.
^The thing is, Gibson has discontinued the standard LP Jr. The BJA Sig is the only one you're gonna get at retail, unless you get into the custom shop models or go for the '57 Reissue Epi makes.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
^The thing is, Gibson has discontinued the standard LP Jr. The BJA Sig is the only one you're gonna get at retail, unless you get into the custom shop models or go for the '57 Reissue Epi makes.

Yeah, it's a shame but the Custom Shop ones are ok and they're still pretty affordable.

I would look on ebay as well - it's probably your best bet.
Quote by SenorSmiley

Nothing that sells is overpriced. If people buy them they're priced right

No way.

The term "overpriced" can take on several different meanings, but from any of its relevant meanings (in general usage), this is definitely not true. Something can certainly be overpriced if another product of a different brand meets all the same specifications, and it is priced higher than the other product (it is overpriced in relation to a comparable product).

Also--and this is more along the lines of your use of the word "overpriced"--a product that sells 5000 units at its sale price when it could sell 20,000 units at a lower price is definitely overpriced from a business standpoint.

With that said, yes--if I were Gibson, Fender, etc. (whatever "overpriced" brand comes to mind for you)--and I sold enormous quantities of guitars at a price higher than the price of comparable models by other brands, I would DEFINITELY continue to sell them "overpriced" in relation to the other products (you can be sure, though, that there are well-paid math/operations research guys on the payroll who are crunching the numbers, optimizing total profit based on units sold vs. price of unit).
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by Eric 666
Ebay is the choice in this case my good buddy.

This, definitely this. You may even find a vintage one on the cheap, and that'd be pretty awesome...
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
The one I played was total crap. It was uncomfortable and felt gross in my hands. This is coming from someone who loves green day, and likes playing normal LPJrs.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Just to clear up a common misconception, the BJA LP Jr. doesn't have a P-100. It has an H-90, which cancels some hum, but not all of it. It also has higher output than normal p-90s. I've heard nothing but good things about it, as opposed to P-100s, which everybody seems to hate.

Personally, I would rather buy a used LP Jr. or a copy. I don't like the idea of signature guitars because they're even more overpriced than ordinary Gibsons. Burny, Edwards, and Tokai make/have made nice copies. People also seem to like the '57 reissues that Epiphone made a few years ago.
Quote by timi_hendrix
I'm sure it's a nice guitar, but you're paying a lot for the name on the headstock (well, both of them, actually).

Well, all three of them, actually.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
i have the original Gibson Les Paul Junior, thank god i got one before they went out of stock haha. i tried a Billie Joe out at a guitar center, and it sounded exactly like my junior except with a higher output. its great for punk or pop-punk which is what i mainly play, other than that, its a beautiful guitar. i want the white one so bad haha.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
Last edited by guy66657 at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by guy66657
i have the original Gibson Les Paul Junior, thank god i got one before they went out of stock haha. i tried a Billie Joe out at a guitar center, and it sounded exactly like my junior except with a higher output. its great for punk or pop-punk which is what i mainly play, other than that, its a beautiful guitar. i want the one one so bad haha.

Well, you could probably sell it for as much without the name to greenday haters to buy billie's version.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
Well, you could probably sell it for as much without the name to greenday haters to buy billie's version.

haha i dont think i want to since they discontinued it. id rather save up for a custom strat.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
With that price...

You could buy a really nice Esp or Ibanez or something, but assuming you're looking at this guitar you want something that plays like this. You can get a really decent Fender in that price range too, or maybe even Gretsch or something.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/gibson-1957_les_paul_junior/70843
Am I missing something?
Cos GAK sells like. . four different LP Jrs, the 57, a double cut and another single cut and the BJA, all similarly priced.
The Epi '57 Reissue is far better value for your money. I had one before and it only cost me £219. Compare this to the price of the current production Juniors and it's hard to justify the cost increase.

The Epiphone had a great neck, all mahogany set into a mahogany body and a P-100, and Grover tuners. The only real differences were that it had chrome hardware rather than nickel and a different headstock. If you wanted a real P-90 then you could buy a Gibson one for £80 and you'd have virtually the same guitar for £300.

I wish I'd kept mine but I wanted a more versatile axe as the Epi was my first. I don't see the point in spending another £1000 on something that can easily be recreated at a fraction of the price, giving you more money to buy a nice amp!
I've played a few times and it played good but it gots nothing against my '57 junior
But if you want it Go Used because you may pay aa good price for it
Quote by greggybhoy
The Epi '57 Reissue is far better value for your money. I had one before and it only cost me £219. Compare this to the price of the current production Juniors and it's hard to justify the cost increase.

The Epiphone had a great neck, all mahogany set into a mahogany body and a P-100, and Grover tuners. The only real differences were that it had chrome hardware rather than nickel and a different headstock. If you wanted a real P-90 then you could buy a Gibson one for £80 and you'd have virtually the same guitar for £300.

I wish I'd kept mine but I wanted a more versatile axe as the Epi was my first. I don't see the point in spending another £1000 on something that can easily be recreated at a fraction of the price, giving you more money to buy a nice amp!

The other difference is what the "mahogany" is. Wood costs more or less depending on where it's from, what grade it is, etc...

When you buy something like a Junior it's a really simple design. The wood really makes a big contribution to the sound.
Quote by SenorSmiley
The other difference is what the "mahogany" is. Wood costs more or less depending on where it's from, what grade it is, etc...

When you buy something like a Junior it's a really simple design. The wood really makes a big contribution to the sound.

Gibson doesn't even reveal the source of its "mahogany" anymore.
But even if they use phillipine limba, an electric guitar pickup isn't a microphone, it only picks up what the strings over it are doing.

Quote by cobain_is_king