I recently built a strat with 3 single coil Lace Gold Sensors.

Today, my amp was putting out a hum that was only stopped when I clamped my hand on the strings to essentially "ground" the guitar.

Why did this suddenly start happening? Is it my guitar? My amp? My playing atmosphere?

Do Lace pickups always hum and I just started noticing it?

its the grounding wiring of your guitar, nothing to do with cables pickups or the amp.

its easy to fix, unfortunately i dont know how you fix it. i just know its pretty easy.....
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Getting into the wiring of the guitar isn't difficult...I soldered it together in the first place.

I just can't imagine what could have come undone. I'm not trying to brag...but I'm pretty good at soldering
well, something could have broken. it happens a lot, even if you are a good solderer.

just follow it through. cause lace sensors wont hum.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
And in the event that I did wire it wrong, does anyone have a decent wiring diagram for a strat?
i dont think its nessecarily you wiring it wrongly. Like my off the production line MIM strat has the same problem as yours.

there is a website i saw years ago that showed you how to PROPERLY ground your strat (as in better than a fender mia job).

look in the gear customising forum, there should be a thread about somebody wanting to get more switching options from a strat, the website the threadstarter links to is the same website im talking about (90% sure of this).
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by Bravo86
I recently built a strat with 3 single coil Lace Gold Sensors.

Today, my amp was putting out a hum that was only stopped when I clamped my hand on the strings to essentially "ground" the guitar.

Why did this suddenly start happening? Is it my guitar? My amp? My playing atmosphere?

Do Lace pickups always hum and I just started noticing it?

Your guitar always does this, and to a degree, always will. That's just how it is.

Shield your guitar, and I guarantee it'll be much quieter.
guitarnuts.com has a guide on how to do it.
So...

Today I plug my guitar into the amp and play. I plugged it into the same wall jack, used no pedals (as usual), and the hum is gone.

Is it still my guitar that caused the problem, or could it be my amp?

It's weird, because I could soften the hum by grounding the guitar with my hand on the strings...
the lace sensors are impervious to flourescent lights and computer monitors and the like.... i think.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by buzz
the lace sensors are impervious to flourescent lights and computer monitors and the like.... i think.

Not totally- When I turn my plasma TV on, you can really hear it...
...How close do you have to be?

I have a 36" Sony CRT TV about 7 feet above it, a 42" plasma about 15 feet beside it.

No florescent lights near by, but lots of electronics...

I guess that could have been the problem. It made me upset, because usually there is zero hum. The only background noise I get is from the amp when it is cranked (same noise you might get if you max out any speaker).

Thanks guys. I hope that the problem doesn't return.
Quote by Bravo86
...How close do you have to be?

I have a 36" Sony CRT TV about 7 feet above it, a 42" plasma about 15 feet beside it.

No florescent lights near by, but lots of electronics...

I guess that could have been the problem. It made me upset, because usually there is zero hum. The only background noise I get is from the amp when it is cranked (same noise you might get if you max out any speaker).

Thanks guys. I hope that the problem doesn't return.

I am about 5 feet away...
Quote by Bravo86
So...

Today I plug my guitar into the amp and play. I plugged it into the same wall jack, used no pedals (as usual), and the hum is gone.

Is it still my guitar that caused the problem, or could it be my amp?

It's weird, because I could soften the hum by grounding the guitar with my hand on the strings...

That hum might be coming from the ground in your house. I've seen it happen with a lot of audio equipment, usually when a lot of crap without seperate grounds on their plugs is plugged in around whatever it is that's humming.
What you own is your own kingdom
What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power
What you live is your own story
Last edited by wanderingbudoka at Jun 19, 2008,