GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?
The first one. You want the one with the larger L2 cache. Sacrificing a few million instructions per second for TWICE the cache size is worth it.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Yorkfield. Like the other guy said, it's all about the cache, not the clock speeds. Plus it's one of the 45nm quads. You really can't go wrong with that.

And the price vs perfomance between the E8400 and the E8500 is negligible. You won't go farther with an extra 166MHz I believe you've got a higher multiplier on the E8500, so that would be appealing for an enthusiast.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Last edited by Cynoxx at Jun 16, 2008,
Wouldn't the cache be a nonfactor considering the first one has twice the cache and twice the cores?
Quote by Sevenfoldizm
Wouldn't the cache be a nonfactor considering the first one has twice the cache and twice the cores?

In a message-passing model, which these cores are not, it doesn't matter. Intel uses the shared-memory model and it matters...
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
The yorkfield is faster, hence it costs about twice Wolfdale. The Wolfdale will be fine for any current application/game nowadays though. I don't see the point in shelling out 500 bucks for a cpu...
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
The Wolfdale is more power-efficient though...
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie