I went to GC today and played some acoustics, and I have to say that I like the Taylor grand auditorium/Martin 000 style acoustics the best. They have a very balanced tone. The only thing I don't like is the lack of volume. So what are some good options for this type of guitar at aorund 500-600 USD?
Shiny metallic purple armor.
$500 won't even get you close to a good Martin or Taylor. I'd look at the Epiphone Masterbilts or the Guild GADs in your price range.
only one thing comes to mind and its this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-EF500R-Fingerstyle-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519061

an amazing guitar for the price i really dont think youll find anything in the same price range or in the same leugue as this one, id get it over a 15 without a problem. there both good guitars but the 15 isnt that great really, its just nice to pay an extra 400 for something made in america i guese but if you dont care about that stuff take a really good look at this guitar, i highly recomend it. it does what you pay for and then some.
Quote by the-kid44P
only one thing comes to mind and its this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-EF500R-Fingerstyle-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519061

an amazing guitar for the price i really dont think youll find anything in the same price range or in the same leugue as this one, id get it over a 15 without a problem. there both good guitars but the 15 isnt that great really, its just nice to pay an extra 400 for something made in america i guese but if you dont care about that stuff take a really good look at this guitar, i highly recomend it. it does what you pay for and then some.

I'll argue that the 15 series is definitely worth the $800 or so that you pay for it. The 15 series 000 is a great guitar if you want a folk sound. If a folky sound isnt your cup of tea, then no, it's not worth it. But it's the same for any guitar in general. Just because it doesn't sound good to you doesn't mean it's a bad sounding guitar, or that it's not a great guitar either.

Anyway... that epiphone's probably one of the better ones you'll get for $500ish.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I played some Blueridges today, and soundwise they were exactly what I wanted. Perfect. The only thing was the poor playability, and the fretboard squeaked alot and was very tough to play on. I did however, try a Guild GAD that was used (and with some marks to show it), but had a wonderful tone and played better than any guitar I've played so far. It was actually a Dreadnought, but had a tone that was more similar to an auditorium shape. I'm going to give that guitar a second look soon.
Last edited by Paper Snowman at Jun 17, 2008,
I'm curious why you thought the Blueridges had poor playability. Was it something a setup could fix?
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
I don't think so. The action was fine, great in fact, but the fretboard seemed to really resist any movement like slides on it. I really had to put a lot of effort to slide a finger across the fretboard.
Was it a GAD 40 or a 50? Both are great guitars and if I had $700 to spend I would scoop one up in a heart beat.
Quote by Siren Silently
Was it a GAD 40 or a 50? Both are great guitars and if I had $700 to spend I would scoop one up in a heart beat.

Amen. I would definitely get one too. I'd probably get a concert body guitar first though. I'm aching for an OM or 000, haha.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
It was a GAD50 I think. Because it was used, it was only $500. I didn't at the price until after I finished playing it, and I was surprised!