Hey, I'm taking an online rock history class this summer for the hell of it, and I now have to write a little one page essay. I want to start it off with a good quote to get the message across that I actually want to do the work, but I don't want to use any of the ones already in the "book" (it was just 300-400 loose leaf pages in shrink wrap with dividers and a CD when I bought it).

Here's the actual prompt so you can get semi-relevant quotes:

Quote by Prompt
Before you started this course on the history of rock and roll, you had an idea of what rock was and how it differs from the other music you listen to. In a one-page essay, describe:

Include your opinion and why you agree or disagree with the idea that rock and roll rightfully stands next to the traditional art forms of Western Europe (classical music) and the United States (jazz).

To be absolutely clear, this is not a "help me do my essay" kind of thing, I just would like some original quotes that have to do with the essay topic so I can start it off well. I'm not asking for your opinions on the topics themselves, but I can't stop you if you feel compelled to.

The quote can tackle any of the listed areas, or all of them, it doesn't really matter. Thanks!
        I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
        Quote by Pauldapro
        this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
        You can say something you've said or are thinking, but I'd prefer someone fairly well-known for credability.
        Quote by Pauldapro
        this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
        what you believe makes rock rock and not jazz, pop, classical, or country music

Angus Young once said "I respect anyone who is willing to fight for what they want"-determination

what overarching concepts you think someone is supposed to learn in a humanities course like this one

Another Angus Young quote "People say we've recorded 9 albums that sound the same;it's actually 10"-in it for the music;not the fame

Idk if they made sense,I'm shattered
        "Now that rock is turning 50, it's become classical in itself. It's interesting to see that development."

- Bjork (lol)

"As a rock star, I have two instincts, I want to have fun, and I want to change the world. I have a chance to do both."

- Bono

"If Mozart were around now he would write a killer rock song."

- Vanessa Carlton

"Rock music should be gross: that's the fun of it. It gets up and drops its trousers."

- Bruce Dickinson

"If you truly dig what you are doing, if you lay it out that way, nobody can not respond. That's what rock and roll is; it's relentless."

-Cass Elliot
        Last edited by dylpikle9 at Jun 16, 2008,
        Those are good Angus ones, thanks.

I was thinking for the first little bullet thing is that a quote about rock just not caring about anything in the sense that it's all for fun (I guess I mean not being very serious).
        Quote by Pauldapro
        Quote by Chris_Parker
        Those are good Angus ones, thanks.

I was thinking for the first little bullet thing is that a quote about rock just not caring about anything in the sense that it's all for fun (I guess I mean not being very serious).

I wouldn't say so,that's how I'd class "pop" music;rock has more of an...agressive history behind it.

Blood,sweat and tears etc
        Well, yeah, but I mean the whole "Who gives two ****s" attitude is what I was getting at. The class goes from like pre rock n roll (40s), to rock n roll (50s), to the 60s, then by decades, yadda yadda. This is just for the introductory part of the course.
        Quote by Pauldapro
        Quote by Chris_Parker
        Well, yeah, but I mean the whole "Who gives two ****s" attitude is what I was getting at. The class goes from like pre rock n roll (40s), to rock n roll (50s), to the 60s, then by decades, yadda yadda. This is just for the introductory part of the course.

Yeah,I think the massive F you to society is a given
        The 40s,I'm not so knowledgable on
        The 50s,you get artists like Presley and Berry emerging. They redefined popular music,angering many people along the way.
        You also had Holly,Cochran,Valens and all these guys running around. Good decade for music ;we wouldn't play like we do if it weren't for the 50s.
        60s,you HAVE to mention Clapton and Hendrix.
        "i haba fuggin' peech 'mpedughment 'ecause uuh i ah tooked miny uh drugs buta ugh luckilegh i haves uhg sharon to agh elp et me through life, without her i would guh not be here rightugh now here, ugh and agh i ave so uch to thank herr four i agh [incomprehensible] and my underful aughter kelly and my son jack elp meh get thrugh agh so m-much and [incomprehensible] my mind fug [incomprehensible] atv accident ugh [incomprehensible] went to ell and agh um came back".
        -ozzy osbourne
        [now about as incoherent as stephen hawkings]

"if there was more power for love than love for power, the world would be at peace"
        -jimi hendrix
        [who was also the first person to be classified under the genre "metal"
        " They bring a knife, you bring a gun. They put one of yours in the hospital, you put five of theirs in the morgue"
        This is where I point to my earlier post, which contains more quotes than it originally did.
        Quote by _Tim_
        I think it was more of a case of needing help finding and classifying relevant quotes.

uhh well perusing that site for .5 seconds i stumbled upon about 4 relevant quotes just by one author..so...ya... i understand that he was looking for a different kind of help, but rather than me look around that site for something he can use, i figured he might as well.
        Journalist: Do you think of yourself primarily as a singer or a poet?
        Dylan: Oh, I think of myself more as a song and dance man, y'know.
        -- Bob Dylan, press conference at KQED, San Francisco, Dec. 1965, quoted in: Joe Kohut and John J Kohut, eds., Rock Talk (1994)

unreal. rock is nothing but a song and a dance. use it and succeed.

Rock is so much fun. That's what it's all about -- filling up the chest cavities and empty kneecaps and elbows.
        -- Jim Hendrix

even better!
        Quote by dylpikle9

"Rock music should be gross: that's the fun of it. It gets up and drops its trousers."

- Bruce Dickinson

Maiden is the current winner! Any others?

And Yes, I did try Google, but all they were were either irrelevant or song lyrics I already knew and didn't want to use.
        Quote by Pauldapro
        look at my previous post. those two are more than you need.

'm interested in anything about revolt, disorder, chaos, especially activity that appears to have no meaning. It seems to me to be the road toward freedom.
        -- Jim Morrison

Q. How does it feel to be the Jesse James of rock?
        A. William Bonney would be more accurate. Jesse James was motivated by greed, while Billy the Kid did it for the fun of it. All Americans are outlaws.
        -- Jim Morrison
        Quote by tona_107
        uhh well perusing that site for .5 seconds i stumbled upon about 4 relevant quotes just by one author..so...ya... i understand that he was looking for a different kind of help, but rather than me look around that site for something he can use, i figured he might as well.

Maybe he had a problem with determining the relevancy of the quote?
        Or he might've wanted a non-biased view as different people have different interpretations.

When people ask for help in this manner,I feel that helping does no harm.
        "I can balance a football on my penis." -Billy Corgan
        "People are just mad because I have made more money than them with less that half the talent." -Gene Simmons
        "Ideas are weapons too." -Henry Rollins
        "At this point in time you had all of these solos that were going absolutely nowhere, so we figured what the world needed was some good ol' fasioned stipped down, no bull**** rock n' roll, and thats what we gave em' and they loved it." -Johnny Ramone
        "I'm good at eating ass, and my wife is good at sucking schlong. That is my secret to a good marriage." -Zakk Wylde
        "Oh ****, I slept through the gig..." -Ozzy

Those are just a few. You might actually be able to use the Johnny Ramone one.
        The Hendrix, Dickinson, and Morrison quotes seem to be the best so far, thanks a lot!
        Quote by Pauldapro
        There are two good ones in my sig.
        Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
        You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
        "Sometimes we piss on each other we go on stage"
        -Trent Reznor
        Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP