Hey, I am thinking about trying out this guitar but I am not sure if the bridge on it is like a floyd rose or not. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Shred-X-Electric-Guitar-Ebony?sku=516470 I do not like floyds because of all of the **** you have to go through with tuning down and changing strings etc. So is this Kahler bridge a pain in the neck like that? Can I tune down without a locking nut and all that nonsense.
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
Doesn't look like a floyd to me, and there's no locking nut. So I guess it's just a normal trem.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
I have a kahler bridge, and while it's similar to the floyd rose in what it can do, I find that aslong as you don't change tunnings alot, it keeps in tune. But if you decided to go, even from standard to drop D, you have to tune each string multiple times. A locking nut would be recomended.
sigh...
kahler is the same concept as a floyd, only i've never had any tuning issues. takes about the same time to tune this as an acoustic guitar. if you want a good tremolo that's not a pain to tune, go kahler
Quote by HeliuM
Doesn't look like a floyd to me, and there's no locking nut. So I guess it's just a normal trem.

it's a Kahler tremolo system
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

from wat i can see its design is very similar to a floyd rose and it looks like the way the strings are installed are almost the same so more likely than it will be a pain in the neck the to tune and change strings
Quote by HeliuM

It has locking tuners instead.

Changing tunings might be a pain in a Floyd (I just leave mine in standard), but once you have it tuned that baby stays in tune! I eventually want to get a Wolfgang with a D-Tuna so I can go drop-D w/o much issue.

As for changing strings on a Floyd, it's cake. I string mine the way Peavey does it from the factory. Put the strings in the tuners so the ball ends are at the top. Pull string tight over the top of the bridge and then cut the string right behind the fine tuner, lock into bridge and then tighten tuner. This saves time and you only have to cut the string once.
Last edited by snowjay at Jun 16, 2008,
Quote by HeliuM

The locking tuners replace the nut. Check out some Carvin guitars with OFR's or LFR's and you will see they do not have a locking nut, because all Carvin guitars come with locking tuners.
Khaler, pwns the **** out of Floyd, holds tune WAYYYY better.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.