should i get a solid state amp with effects built in or a tube amp and get pedals.
i want an amp soon so i was thinking of getting a vox ad30vt but i could save up more money to get a tube amp but i dont know what to do.
i play anything except really heavy metal
tube amp ALL THE WAY
go down to your local guitar centre and plug your guitar into a tube amp
youll never wanna play any of that fake solidstate/modelling **** ever again
tube amps pretty much blow away any other kind of amp in power too...
i had a 120w crate (solid state) and i had a 30w fender hot rod deluxe (tube).... my tube amp pretty much blew it away.. it was probably 3x as powerful as the crate
take a look at peavey classic 30's (and there own thread), they do everything, except heavy metal (give or take), and go good with pedals.
Uses?

If it's for house practice and you don't have an amp or something, get the Vavletronix. If you can hold off for a while, get a tube combo.

And you are going to have to be a bit more specific on the genres before anyone can give you a good suggestion.
Get a tube amp. trust in the long run you will be so happy that you did. There is no reason to sacrifice tone.
No question, Tube.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

what is your budget?

there are good all tube combos out there especially if you buy used. do the GC thing with your own guitar as mentioned above as they have a ton of stuff you can try out. go early in the morning in the middle of the week if you can.

no offense, but do not be swayed by the dark side of the hybrid force - unless you absolutely cannot find anything else.

imo
honestly unless your playing live shows a solid state will be fine
you dont want a tube with 500 different effects pedals strung out across your room if your just playing to yourself...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
you dont want a tube with 500 different effects pedals strung out across your room if your just playing to yourself...

you're kidding right? i almost read 'playing with yourself' so i'm glad i re-read.

you're kidding right?

1 or 2 or 3 pedals is all you really ever need.

tube amps will accentuate your playing better than SS and so that is the best way to learn and get better. I've had both. Man, how many time does this get covered every day?

There are plenty of all tube amps out there in budget

TS - what is your budget and playing style?
Quote by bi-ah!

I agree. I have tube amps and I have SS amps - some modeling and some not. Don't get all caught up with these dufasses who only think tube amps are worth buying. Most of em spout that crap because they heard it spouted over and over again and they're starting to be "assimilated". A SS modeling amp can be a lot of fun. There's great SS amps out there - the Vox is one. There are also a lot of CRAP tube amps out there too. A lot of these fools own them. GOOD Tube amps sound great but unless you can CRANK EM UP they don't sound that great without attenuators, pedals, etc. There are a lot of GREAT modeling amps that can be a real ball to "wank on" without having to wake the entire neighborhood.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
I agree. I have tube amps and I have SS amps - some modeling and some not. Don't get all caught up with these dufasses who only think tube amps are worth buying. Most of em spout that crap because they heard it spouted over and over again and they're starting to be "assimilated". A SS modeling amp can be a lot of fun. There's great SS amps out there - the Vox is one. There are also a lot of CRAP tube amps out there too. A lot of these fools own them. GOOD Tube amps sound great but unless you can CRANK EM UP they don't sound that great without attenuators, pedals, etc. There are a lot of GREAT modeling amps that can be a real ball to "wank on" without having to wake the entire neighborhood.

+30
Quote by strangedogs

+1 i have a spider 3 75watt for practice and to be honest it sounds pretty good
A couple of weeks ago I was in the same situation as you. I bought a vox ad50vt which sounded okay in the store. But when I got it home and plugged in, I got down to really trying it out and it sounded like crap. I took it back the next day and got a new guitar instead. I'm going to take the time and save the money for a good tube amp, it really does make a difference.
To try out my RR3 they had me test it out on a spider. .

It didn't sound way to bad... I kinda like the digital like sound every now and then.
Quote by strangedogs

I think that modelling amps are a lot of fun and some do sound quite good. However, there is no SS I have heard that really sound like a tube amp. And you do not need to crank them to get good tone. It is true they sound BETTER, but they still sound very good at low volumes. I personally have never heard a tube amp that actually sounds BAD. I have heard some that are only decent. But bad? Never. I'm sure they are out there, I just have not heard it. But TS, if you are a serious player, go for a tube. However, if you are a bedroom player who wants decent tone and effects to screw around with, by all means, go for a Vox AD or Roland cube, they are fine amps.
Quote by mcrfobtai
I think that modelling amps are a lot of fun and some do sound quite good. However, there is no SS I have heard that really sound like a tube amp. And you do not need to crank them to get good tone. It is true they sound BETTER, but they still sound very good at low volumes. I personally have never heard a tube amp that actually sounds BAD. I have heard some that are only decent. But bad? Never. I'm sure they are out there, I just have not heard it. But TS, if you are a serious player, go for a tube. However, if you are a bedroom player who wants decent tone and effects to screw around with, by all means, go for a Vox AD or Roland cube, they are fine amps.

So only serious players use tube amps? Ok.

It would be the best for the TS to get an AD30 if he had 200 bucks to spend flat out, and needed to cover jazz to metal, decently. Until you get over 500, maybe a bit more, you aren't going to get an amp that does both well, and even then it would be splitting hairs.

IDK, my 2 cents ain't worth much, but I will say what I always say: Go to a store or several stores and try out as many amps as possible until you find which one fits all your needs. If it happens to be an SS, then get it.
tube
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
i would only really be playing in my room. the onlly bad thing is about getting a tube amp is im not really sure what pedals to get.
Well, if its just for room playing even a Blackheart would do fine. Are you a big fan of bands that use lots of effects. If not, a Wah, overdrive, delay and maybe a fuzz would do you pretty well.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Xx Andy xX
i would only really be playing in my room. the onlly bad thing is about getting a tube amp is im not really sure what pedals to get.

yeah, like Bloodshed said it depends on what you like to hear. What are your favorite bands?
favourite bands are guns n roses, velvet revolver, lynard skynard, led zepellin, pantera, metallica etc...
i use an epiphone les paul standard aswell if that makes any difference
it's really up to you TS, i agree with strangedogs when he says you don't have to have a tube. Tube does sound better IMO, but something like a line 6 flextone would be adiquite for bedroom playing
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Well it looks like all those bands don't use heaps of effects. So in that case, a Wah, an OD, and a delay should have you covered.

Good options could be:
Morley Power Wah, or Bad Horsie
Digitech Bad Monkey, or Ibanez TS-7
Boss DD-3 or Ibanez DE-7
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by strangedogs

I agree also, the tube snobbery & elitism here is getting out of control. SS amps are a better choice for certain situations.
Quote by Stratmaster458
Get a tube amp. trust in the long run you will be so happy that you did. There is no reason to sacrifice tone.

wow, i had to hit myself a few times to knock that idiocy out.

1) i know a fair amount of reasons why he should 'sacrifice' tone.
want some ? ok. - no maintenance (if the SS is of decent quality)
- lighter (easier to carry) than tube amps most of the times.
- option for headphones with quite a few SS, and an option to go straight into the PA without mic'ing.

2) sacrifice tone ? since when are all SS inferior to tube amps ? there are some amps that can sound just as good as tube amps (perhaps in their own way, but still) and sometimes better ! *cough*Zentera*cough*. besides, a tube amp with worn tubes can sound pretty darn bad.

i could go on but that should make my point clear.

TS, i advise you to get an ad30vt if you're starting out. it's good to make you familiar with the sounds of different amps and effects. getting a tube amp when you're ust starting out is unneccesary.
Quote by The red Strat.

2) sacrifice tone ? since when are all SS inferior to tube amps ? there are some amps that can sound just as good as tube amps.

Perhaps, but the Vox AD30VT certainly isn't one of them. The TS needs to go try a few things out and make up his own mind. The pitfall with what your saying is ending up with a grand worth of SS amps laying around that never get used. All kicked to the curb by a $150 Vj combo and a modeling processor. I have a Peavey Transtube 110 (40 watts) which is probably one of the best SS amps i've ever heard for classic and hard rock, but it doesn't stand up to the Vj for tone, it's just louder.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I do LOVE my V3 Valve Junior Combo - I had a V1 head with bitmo mods, a V2 combo - Sold em both and now have a Version 3 Combo thats a TONE MONSTER - coupled with my KORG TONEWORKS Multi-Effects Pedal it's a night's WANKERY just waitin... I have 2 60's Vintage Tube amps that have great tone - both have tremelo and my Ace Tone also has Reverb too - but the Valve Junior Combo is getting a lot of "play" here lately - especially when the wife goes shopping - I CAN CRANK THAT Lil' BIOTCH up then! I'm using it with a 10" bottom and a 12" bottom (both homemade) but the 8" Eminence in it has amazing sound all by itself.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
A tube amp would be perfect for you, especially i fyou arent a big metal guy. Metal tube amps are normally one in their own, meaning if you play really heavy metal, you will need a metal oriented tube amp.

I would recomend the VK or Classic 30 by Peavey.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
It really depends on you situation. If you are just starting out and want to play with a wide variety of different tones and effects, a solid state amp is a good choice (a decent one that is). Or if you are a professional and have many layers of effects a high end solid state amp would also be a good choice. But at the core, generally tube amps produce a better tone. I think a player of blues, country and/or classic rock can be well served by a simple tube amp.
lol i wish i never started this thread.
theres alot of arguing going on but i think i might go for the vox ad30.
play as many as you can and just pick what you like best.

i have a tube, a fairly stratforward solid state, and a small modeling amp and they each have their benefits and disadvantages.

you just don't need 500 pedals either way. sorry about my hybrid comment.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by Xx Andy xX
lol i wish i never started this thread.
theres alot of arguing going on but i think i might go for the vox ad30.

Good choice. It's a very good amp.