Page 1 of 4
Maybe been done before, but...
Why is it that if you play the guitar, people automatically assume that you have long hair, make bad grades, skateboard, get in trouble, etc. When was this connection made? I don't know, discuss.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

They think that I can play every single ****ing song that's on Guitar Hero, and are utterly SHOCKED if I don't know it
That every guitar player is trying to make it
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Aaron0612
Maybe been done before, but...
Why is it that if you play the guitar, people automatically assume that you have long hair, make bad grades, skateboard, get in trouble, etc. When was this connection made? I don't know, discuss.

Well, stereotypes get created because the majority of a culture acts a certain way.

As for guitarist stereotypes...they're all white?

(I don't want to hear "Hendrix": He was one guy.)
The.
That I only play the guitar to get chicks.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Another stereotype Is,

I have no ****ing Idea.
ΙΓΘΝζΑ
か゚つてへこ
Quote by CowboyUp
They think that I can play every single ****ing song that's on Guitar Hero, and are utterly SHOCKED if I don't know it

I HATE THOSE PEOPLE!
As well as the people who ask you if you can play some rap song on the guitar. Especially if that song has no relation to guitars whatsoever.
...shun the nonbeliever...
I hate when they ask : are you good? theres no way to answer right. Yes means they expect you to be able to play there crappy devildriver song after hearing it once and anything less than yes means you suck

As for a stereotype one is that you smoke pot
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at Jun 16, 2008,
Quote by andy_thomas
That I only play the guitar to get chicks.

or guitar players get lots of chicks
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
haha, i can totally agree. i get good grades, have pretty short hair, don't skateboard, and don't get in trouble. and i get crap for not "being in a band". here i am just playing guitar because i like the instrument, and people are confused why i don't like being in a band
well the only part that dosnt fill me is not geting good grades,i have an A avrege adn im not some punk even though i do look like one,(thats why i get more girls )
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Well, stereotypes get created because the majority of a culture acts a certain way.

B.B. King; theres two. Take that!
That I only listen to music with guitar in it, hell the majority of my music doesn't have guitar.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
people assume that your a stoner because you like to listen to metal and play guitar
GEAR:
Ibanez GSA60 guitar
perri blue lighting strap
Digitech RP250 pedal
Marshall MG30 Amp

Quote by Glen
I call these Glen wads, they'll get you high just on flavor alone

FOUNDER OF THE JONAS BROTHERS SUCK group join today
most guitarists are poor

or hates all pop songs that plays on the radio
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
wasted/stoned 24/7, play any song at random (especially guitar hero songs), loser who doesnt have "good taste in music" ie: rap. paint fingernails black, etc. etc.
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Quote by Aftertime
most guitarists are poor

or hates all pop songs that plays on the radio

crap. im both... poor and i hate anything thats on the radio
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
I heard from one of my friends (jokingly) that because I prefer to listen to metal, that means that whenever I'm home, I sit in a dark room, alone, listenting to the darkest, grimest growling available. (Well who doesn't? j/k)

I guess that's because what the general opinion amongst non-metallers is; that metal is satan... always... without exception. We're all goth, we like s&m, nails and leather and we're freaks. Well, I for one, dress casual; jeans and t-shirt; work at a supermarked, and aside from a couple of piecings and a beard is completely "normal".

Stupid stereotyping friends
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Quote by Ironza
Another stereotype Is,

I have no ****ing Idea.

In my high school, most kids are stereotyped as having weird mannerisms, and are socially awkward if they play guitar. Because they do. I can't connect with any other guitar players because they're all so freaking strange.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
That i only play rock. Apparently people only think the only genres that have guitar in it is rock

EDIT:
Quote by natel0083
wtf skateboarding?
Fags skateboard.

I skateboard
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Last edited by LazyLatinoRocke at Jun 16, 2008,
That you do it to be "cool".

That pisses me off, and that's why only my close friends know i play.
LARGE TEXT
i hate those jock kids that bring their acoustics to school, and when a girl asks him if he can play all he does is strum a few chords and the girls get all wet and ****
Emo
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
Quote by British_Steal
I hate when they ask : are you good? theres no way to answer right. Yes means they expect you to be able to play there crappy devildriver song after hearing it once and anything less than yes means you suck

As for a stereotype one is that you smoke pot

haha thats not as much as a stereotype compared to other things, we musicians love to jam baked
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Quote by tremeloud

In my high school, most kids are stereotyped as having weird mannerisms, and are socially awkward if they play guitar. Because they do. I can't connect with any other guitar players because they're all so freaking strange.

I have the same problem. This one kid who plays quite well is utterly unable to make social contact with anyone, especially older kids like me. This other kid is so obnoxious in his conscious effort to be into obscure things that I can't stand being around him (seriously, he got pissed at me because I got a bunch of kids in our school to watch Donnie Darko, because "now it's mainstream!" )
Quote by HunterRiggs10

Slash = 3

though he's only half black so = 2.5

point being I'm one of the select few who actually fit almost all of those stereotypes.

I have long hair, I skateboarded until I broke my ankle last year, I'm in a band that's trying to make it, I get chicks, go on stupid long tours, sleep in my clothes and only eat stuff you can buy cheap at service stations...mmm day old sausage roll

Tis a sick life...then i break the rules by going to university via distance ed.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by venom0014
i hate those jock kids that bring their acoustics to school, and when a girl asks him if he can play all he does is strum a few chords and the girls get all wet and ****

+ a gazillion...

No-one realizes the skills involved in order to be a good guitarist. Everybody (esp. somewhat drunken, easily impressed females) tend to think that because some guy know the five chord used on basically all major pop/rock-ballad-songs, they are teh sxe.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
That we're awesome.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by CowboyUp
Quote by scottydosntkno8
I HATE THOSE PEOPLE!
As well as the people who ask you if you can play some rap song on the guitar. Especially if that song has no relation to guitars whatsoever.
+1 to both
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
if you play guitar, have long hair, and listen to classic rock you must smoke pot.

i hate stereotypes, too bad i am a perfect example of it
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Quote by IHATECHILDREN

Quote by HunterRiggs10

Chuck Berry. Three.
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
Quote by <SpaceTime>
Chuck Berry. Three.

his point is that 99% of guitar players are white even though some of the best were black.
Quote by venom0014

+1
but at my school it's more the little emo kids than anybody

ooooooohhh he can play "Hey There Delilah"

in my experience, the better guitar players keep their skills almost a secret
and i have much more respect for a guy who's alright and know's he's alright and keeps it to himself than a guy who thinks he's the **** and shows off all the time
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
Page 1 of 4