I just really wanted to see what UG thought of this bass because I'm a beginner at bass. I recently bought a 90's Ibanez SR800 Bass from a guy on Craigslist. The pickups are active 'p' and 'j's and so far I love it. But is this bass good for being new? I bought it for $125 off the guy. But after reading some reviews, supposedly people have boughten this at the $1000 mark. Here is a picture, except mine is a cherry red.

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Line 6 Spider III 75
Old SG Mock
I had an Ibby SR500 and it was a nice bass. I'm sure the 800 has to be too, especially for $125. Have fun playing.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE
just so you know, you're going to eventually switch out the battery for those pickups.

and it looks damn nice nevertheless
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
Quote by Shaned
just so you know, you're going to eventually switch out the battery for those pickups.
If you've just bought it, do it straight away. Chances are it'll sound better for it.
Oh I know about the battery, I bought this about two weeks ago and switched it like an hour before I came to his house. How long do they naturally last?
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Line 6 Spider III 75
Old SG Mock
Nice! But he said you can tell when it dies, but how can you exactly tell? Is the tone horrible?
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Line 6 Spider III 75
Old SG Mock
Your bass will sound quieter and the tone won't be as good. You'll notice when it happens.
Quote by Assassin1680
I just really wanted to see what UG thought of this bass because I'm a beginner at bass. I recently bought a 90's Ibanez SR800 Bass from a guy on Craigslist. The pickups are active 'p' and 'j's and so far I love it. But is this bass good for being new? I bought it for $125 off the guy. But after reading some reviews, supposedly people have boughten this at the $1000 mark. Here is a picture, except mine is a cherry red.

I don't think anyone would ever pay 1000$ for it :P
But it's good for a beginner.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
great beginner bass.
what ever made you think it was a bad one?
Gear
----------
2003 MIM Jazz Bass w/ Bartolinis and a BAII bridge
2005 Ibanez GSR200
Peavey TNT 115 200 watt bass amplifier
Morley Bass Wah Pedal
Quote by smb
Ages. Six months to a year depending on how much you play.

I bought my bass really cheap like 3 months ago, tried it on my gfs guitar amp, and it was barely audible, if at all, so could it be the battery then???
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

First off, I want to go shopping with you. I paid 400USD for my SR800 used and that was considered quite the deal at the time. Its a great bass and will serve you well for a long time.

It has that odd "vari-mid" feature, which once you sort it out, you can get a variety of sounds out of that bass. The neck is one of the thinnest I've ever seen on a bass, which is a plus and a minus. I find that I have to get that bass setup at least 1 - 2 times a year because the neck will go slightly out of whack.

It has a great slap tone and works well for me in most of the genres I play.

If you don't have the original manual for the bass, let me know and I'll scan mine and get you a copy. It helps with sorting out the vari-mid features.

And yes, you'll know when the battery is dying. The sound will degrade quickly into a nasty distorted rumble. And that's bad nasty, not good. I find with regular play, a battery lasts me about 6 months to a year.
Are these batteries easy to find? Could I go to a guitar shop, buy some and change them myself?
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
Are these batteries easy to find? Could I go to a guitar shop, buy some and change them myself?

You don't even need to go to a guitar shop. Batteries are batteries. You'll need 9v, the square kind of batteries with both contacts on the same side.
Teh_Asian - are you sure your bass is active? They just take ordinary 9V as Delirium said.
Yes--that's an active bass. I can attest.

And yes, it takes your basic 9v battery. And buy two--one to put in the bass and the other to keep in your case

Just take off the back panel on the back of the bass body and the battery should be there. Its a quick and easy thing to do as Delirium has said.
Quote by anarkee
He's not the threadstarter, and hasn't said what bass he has. I know the SR800 is active
Sorry Boyce! The coffee hasn't quite kicked in as of yet . I should probably wait until my second cup before posting in the morning, lol. Its all of 6:38 am here in CA.
Quote by anarkee

And yes, it takes your basic 9v battery. And buy two--one to put in the bass and the other to keep in your case

Just take off the back panel on the back of the bass body and the battery should be there. Its a quick and easy thing to do as Delirium has said.

My bass does not have one.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

Urgh...I was impressed at myself for managing to get up at 8...

...only to call in sick on the first day of this job
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Then where the hell is the battery compartment?

fucked if I know man
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

It has that odd "vari-mid" feature, which once you sort it out, you can get a variety of sounds out of that bass.
Thanks for your review, but since I'm new to bass, what exactly is this "vari-mid" feature?

I don't think anyone would ever pay 1000$ for it :P

I agree that is a bit too high, but an old reviews page I once read had people buying this for a lot. One person says to have paid $190.00 for it while some other guy says he paid $1,000.00, It's weird but here is one
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Line 6 Spider III 75
Old SG Mock
Last edited by Assassin1680 at Jun 17, 2008,
Woah! SR800 for $125 is really a steal! I hope i am that lucky. Enjoy the bass. It's a good bass.