My friend asked me to do a dark sounding sweep and I have no idea how to make it sound dark. I know how to sweep but they all sound kinda happy.
I would guess it would be a minor scale sweep or something, i wouldnt know exactly though.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
use minor arpeggios.

EDIT - Example

---------------3h7p3----------------
------------5----------5------------
---------4----------------4---------
------5----------------------5------
---7----------------------------7---
------------------------------------
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

Last edited by nick11link at Jun 16, 2008,
Probably sweeping that's detuned. Arch Enemy does some of that in their early stuff in B standard. I don't think you want to go that low. Also E flat tuning gives sweeps an interesting and different sound like Malmsteen.
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
Sit down and look at scales. I usually prefer F or D. Then look at modes. Aoelian is Sad. Locrian is prolly what your going for. Thats the ****ing dark one that I prefer. So its pretty cool to go back and forth between them.
use the Aeolian mode
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16
Well damn. You caught me. I'm horribly gay.

RIP Rev
use Harmonic Minor??
“If it seems like you are playing around and not practicing, that's when you know you really love it.”
-Jack Johnson

Quote by lattea
i'm kinda gay

Quote by angusfan16
Well damn. You caught me. I'm horribly gay.

RIP Rev
Diminshed
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Half whole diminished. 2x as many notes to hit!
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
diminished?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
dimished sweeps are very easy because they repeat every 3 frets. You can look up the theory behind them and the the half-whole diminished scale in the musician's talk forum. But this is a simple diminished 7 sweep in D:

--------4 h7-p4--------
-----6------------6------
--7------------------7---
--------------------------

the half-whole diminished scale is useful, like MESAexplorer said, because it gives you twice as many diminished chords to choose from. (though interestingly enough, the entire scale is only composed of 2 chords!)
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Diminished arpeggios, like the one Iron Dude posted.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Guitar Sushi
How do you do a diminished sweep? I can only do Minor and Major.

look at a chord diagram, diminished chords are just chords made out of all minor intervals,

major and minor have major and minor intervals in em,

minor chords have a minor interval between the root and the third of the chord, with a major interval between the 3rd and the 5th.

and major chords have a major between the root and the 3rd, and a minor interval between the 3rd and the 5th.

so to play a diminished sweep you just add a couple more minor intervals to the chord and you just sweeps it like youz on top of the mountains!!!!!!!!
Quote by codyshredfoo

and you just sweeps it like youz on top of the mountains!!!!!!!!

Swisgaar fan??
Quote by Iron_Dude
dimished sweeps are very easy because they repeat every 3 frets. You can look up the theory behind them and the the half-whole diminished scale in the musician's talk forum. But this is a simple diminished 7 sweep in D:

--------4 h7-p4--------
-----6------------6------
--7------------------7---

the half-whole diminished scale is useful, like MESAexplorer said, because it gives you twice as many diminished chords to choose from. (though interestingly enough, the entire scale is only composed of 2 chords!)

thats it
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by MakeItWitChu
I would guess it would be a minor scale sweep or something, i wouldnt know exactly though.

Just cause somethings in a minor scale doesn't mean it sounds sad or dark.
listen to some john petrucci or mikael akerfeldt they don't usually sweep but you can get ideas from there arpeggios

wait kris norris? maybe
Quote by element4433
That happened to me once. Then I got in my flying car, flew home and made love to my wife, Scarlett Johansen.

Quote by RobertiusB
I've seen Lil' Wayne do some pretty technical solos tbh.
Idk, but try the Harmonic Minor. Listen to Necrophagist, some excellent examples. Of course, I know nothing about arpeggios
Schecter Daimen FR Special
Guitar Rig 3