Hey dudes, I recently retubed my mesa roadster. I told Doug from Dougstubes that I played alot of rock, pop rock, and a little metal and he told me to get these Ruby 6l6's. I did and I'm very happy with them but I was just wondering what kind of stuff I'd get if I retubed with EL34? If I understand right they are just more for a British sounding tone, right?

Could you dudes name some bands that distinctively use EL34's? Thanks & Godbless
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Last edited by tr3nt at Jun 16, 2008,
not necessarily 'British' but more classic rock (which i suppose came mostly from England). Marshalls use El34's which once again makes sense (Marshall is from England, etc.)
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not
I've heard EL34 are better, is it all preference?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
all preference man. EL34 can sometimes have a little more complex and prominent midrange, where the 6L6 can have a punchier lowend and be a little smoother sounding. It's more dependent on the amp though, compared to which kind of tubes you use. I have an EL34 amp that is one of the tightest punchiest amps I've ever played. The differences usually aren't night and day, but it could be that one thing that puts it over the top for you depending.

If you have the cash, it never hurts to have a backup set. I would grab another set of EL34 from Doug and see which works better in the amp for you. I have some Ruby EL34BSTR that I put in my Nitro on Doug's recommendation, and I'm very happy with them. Tighter than most EL34 I've used, and they still have a nice bit of that snarl that I love in the midrange. For a cheap Chinese tube, it kicks all kinds of ass.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids