When you have a piece of a guitar solo on the upper frets of the neck that spans 4 frets, is it preferable to use the pinky or just the index, middle, and ring fingers? Obviously, stretching isn't a problem but I feel like I should make use of every finger.
I do both, depending on the situation. A lot of people will tell you to ALWAYS use your pinky, but **** that. Honestly, you should always be able to use your pinky if it's advantageous or if you need to, but using your first three fingers for a 3nps lick on the upper frets isn't a sin.
Depending on the lick, whichever is easiest for you to do accurately is what you should go with. As fixationdarknes said, though, being able to do both when the situation calls for it is immensely helpful.
Yeah, I figure my confusion arises when there's a bend on the end of the lick at the highest note, and I despise bending with my pinky, I feel like I have more leverage and control if I bend that end note with the ring finger.
I bend with my pinky all the time - it's a useful skill to have so if you play a note with your pinky you don't have to shift at all in order to bend or use vibrato. The stronger your pinky is the better; if you work it consistently you'll see major benefits.
I'm better at bending with my ring finger as well, but sometimes you gotta do it with your pinky. Basically, the key here is to be able to do anything with any finger, at any time you want. If you have the choice, feel free to use your more dominant (in this case, ring) finger, but just make sure you aren't limited to that one.
The Pinky is the fastest finger.
The middle and ring are the strongest.
The index is like the base of the hand.

Really it depends on the lick and on the solo, but its better to be able to use the pinky for the fast stuff.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
I use all my fingers up the neck as well as down. Before I just used my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fingers only, really just neglecting my poor pinky.
hue
Quote by :-D
I bend with my pinky all the time - it's a useful skill to have so if you play a note with your pinky you don't have to shift at all in order to bend or use vibrato. The stronger your pinky is the better; if you work it consistently you'll see major benefits.

A lot of times you have to bend with your 3rd finger if you're playing a note on the string below or on an adjacent fret during the bend, so it all comes down to the situation.

Bottom line: which fingers you use depend on the situation, just make sure your pinky can handle the situation when it becomes neccesary.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
There was a thread like this not too long ago. If I remember right, the conclusion reached was that it's best to do what it most comfortable, but it would be a good idea to be capable of both.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free