I know that defeats the purpose of having a 12 string but can you take off the octave strings from the guitar? I know it is physically possible but I was wondering if it still works alright. Has anyone done this before? Does the gap between the strings affect your playing? The reason I ask this is because I play electric mainly and I recently got a twelve string but I don't have six string to play and I find it hard to do soloing on the 12 strings.

Thanks in advance.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
yup. theres no problem with that. you could even turn it into a 7 string if you wanted.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Some 12-strings need the tension of all the strings to work right. Try it out and see if it's ok. You won't do any permanent damage and if it works you've got yourself a 6-string with a super wide neck.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by civildp1
Some 12-strings need the tension of all the strings to work right. Try it out and see if it's ok. You won't do any permanent damage and if it works you've got yourself a 6-string with a super wide neck.

All the tension of the strings to work right? I disagree. The only thing that wont "work right" is the action. it'll be a bit higher since there will be less tension. You also cannot damage a 12 string guitar by putting less tension on it. Heck, you'd probably save it from a sooner neck reset.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^ yep -- I agree. You won't hurt anything by making it a 6 string. People do it all the time.
Its fine. It'll be just like a new guitar with a really wide nut.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Cool, thanks everyone I might do that.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
Quote by captivate
All the tension of the strings to work right? I disagree. The only thing that wont "work right" is the action. it'll be a bit higher since there will be less tension. You also cannot damage a 12 string guitar by putting less tension on it. Heck, you'd probably save it from a sooner neck reset.

Like I said before I know more about electrics, but how does the action get adjusted on an acoustic? I mean from the looks of it, it is the saddle that would be adjusted for the the action not the strings. Someone explain it to me.

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
I mean from the looks of it, it is the saddle that would be adjusted for the the action not the strings. Someone explain it to me.

Changing the gauge of strings will slightly affect the action. However, action adjustments are primarily done by raising (either by shimming up the existing one or replacing it) or lowering (usually done by sanding down) the saddle. Adjustments at the nut may also be necessary.
If the action is fine with 12 strings, it should be okay with 6. If you make the change and find it changes the way the guitar plays, you may need to, as civildp1 mentioned, adjust the neck relief because of the difference in string tension. I would recommend having a pro do this because it involves adjusting the truss rod which is a bit of an art. I would doubt that you'll need to adjust the action if you're happy with it now though.

EDIT: just wanted to throw in that the proper way to do this would be to have it set up for six strings, just like you would have your guitar set up to change to a lighter or heavier guage string. You won't hurt anything by trying it out and seeing how it plays though.
Last edited by milagroso at Jun 17, 2008,