i am a teenage guitarist and i am currently using a cheap stratocastor look-alike
i want an actual fender stratocastor or a gibson les paul or even a washburn WI566
does anyone know where i can can find one new for cheaper than $1000?
MIM strats run about 400 bucks, new.
i don't like les pauls. the tone is too thick IMO, unless it was the amps i tried them on.

an actual fender strat would be a good idea, since you're experienced with that shape of guitar already.

i started out on a strat look alike as well. then i got an epiphone sg and i loved it. i still occasionally use the strat copy since its my only guitar with a tremolo arm on it.
Go for an epiphone les paul custom.
All mohagony body, all tone.
Weight? It's a log, but the finish and binding will last forever.
It's a great player too.
Get gibson pickups and you're set for a total of about 850.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
Go for an epiphone les paul custom.
All mohagony body, all tone.
Weight? It's a log, but the finish and binding will last forever.
It's a great player too.
Get gibson pickups and you're set for a total of about 850.

that'd probably be another reason i didn't like LPs.

if you like high distortion stuff, get humbucking pickups.
Quote by Metallica_Man55
that'd probably be another reason i didn't like LPs.

if you like high distortion stuff, get humbucking pickups.

Oh, in THAT case, the les paul ultra (or ultra-II if you wanna have accoustic too) is pretty similar.
But it's weight relieved with the same system as gibson's custom shop les pauls.
Weight? Under 2.5 pounds. Feels like a feather.

And humbuckers outpreform single coils in nearly every fashion of music.
Not only metal.
But every form of rock sine they've been invented.
Blues, by and large uses humbuckers, save for slide guitarists who have a P90 fetish i n my expirience.

The only music fender and single coils in general still have is clean ONLY stuff, like country.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
ok well can anyone recommend any other nice guitars (still under 1000)
im kinda on a budgat
Quote by coyote694
ok well can anyone recommend any other nice guitars (still under 1000)
im kinda on a budgat

EPi les paul custom: $650
Epi les paul ultra: $600
epi les paul ultra II: $700
American strat: 900
All prices from musiciansfriend.com

Or you could check ebay, or craigslist.com for instruments used.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
EPi les paul custom: $650
Epi les paul ultra: $600
epi les paul ultra II: $700
American strat: 900
All prices from musiciansfriend.com

Or you could check ebay, or craigslist.com for instruments used.

i've never seen epiphone stuff that expensive. my epi sg (received for Christmas) was about $200 (i think) and it came with an amp, a tuner, and a whole bunch of other stuff. it was bought off of either musiciansfriend.com or music123.com. not sure which one.
Quote by Iansmitchell
Oh, in THAT case, the les paul ultra (or ultra-II if you wanna have accoustic too) is pretty similar.
But it's weight relieved with the same system as gibson's custom shop les pauls.

Not only metal.
Blues, by and large uses humbuckers, save for slide guitarists who have a P90 fetish i n my expirience.

The only music fender and single coils in general still have is clean ONLY stuff, like country.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz that is just DUMB. fender sales several models with humbuckers also. strats and tele's. just go to a music store and find the guitar that best suits you. good luck.....
Last edited by mmjohn at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by Iansmitchell

Not only metal.

Fail.

I would have to say blues is great with single coils, ultimately better than humbuckers,in fact. And as mentioned, Fender do have models of guitars utilizing humbuckers.
Quote by coyote694
i am a teenage guitarist and i am currently using a cheap stratocastor look-alike
i want an actual fender stratocastor or a gibson les paul or even a washburn WI566
does anyone know where i can can find one new for cheaper than $1000?

Brand new Fender MIM Strat - $399
Brand new Fender Highway One Strat - $749
Brand new Fender MIA Strat - $999

Many options.
your guitar depends on what u like to play, if u have a strat with a humbucker in it u can cover anything from metal to blues. if u use the tremolo tho dont forget to lube ur nut somehow before putting strings on , if u dont feel like spending money just use some pencil led shavings. that is if u decide on the fender
Quote by Iansmitchell
Eric johnson, John Mayer, SRV, Frusciante, and Hendrix would disagree.

Generally, single coil guitars will have better, more pronounced clean sounds. Humbuckers usually sound better with distortion. This isn't always the case but usually is. your strat has single coils.

The single coil pick up is the skinny one in the middle. The 2 pickups on the outside are humbuckers.

A Strat with a bucker in the back and a single in the front would be very versatile!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Lonestar-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515526

Whatever you buy, don't pay sticker price
Quote by Free Time
Eric johnson, John Mayer, SRV, Frusciante, and Hendrix would disagree.

Generally, single coil guitars will have better, more pronounced clean sounds. Humbuckers usually sound better with distortion. This isn't always the case but usually is. your strat has single coils.

The single coil pick up is the skinny one in the middle. The 2 pickups on the outside are humbuckers.

A Strat with a bucker in the back and a single in the front would be very versatile!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Lonestar-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515526

Whatever you buy, don't pay sticker price

Also remember that humbuckers, well, don't hum, with lots of gain. Single coils can be annoying in that respect.

As for the guy who said humbuckers win over all, well they still make a lot of single-coil guitars, don't they?