so i decided to hook up my long unused 'digitech death metal' pedal into my blackheart little giant for some dark metal sounds. i must say that i am surprised what a couple years of experience and learning about proper EQing did for that thing...

it still has that over the top gain that i remember two years ago, definitely requires a noise gate to get rid of that annoying hum. it also has a naturally 'scooped' type sound to it.

so for my settings i used: Level: just under 1/4, Low: 1/2, Mids: FULL, Highs: just over 1/4.

sound: it still doesn't get hardly any crunch to it, just a lot of fuzz. not all bad fuzz, but mostly fuzz that can easily mud it up. this is why i boosted the mids all the way and cut back a lot of treble, it made it a lot less scooped. i easily shredded w/ it, it covered up a lot of tinsee hiccups that would easily be spotted on a tube amp....which proved true to the 'hiding under SS amp/pedal gain to cover up sloppy technique' theory. not that i never believed it.

like i said, this pedal is just for having dark metal tones through the blackheart while it's in the dorm room. passable. fun too for shredding. but would i ever use it to perform? HELL NO. strictly for messing around. pinch harmonics were a little easier on this too....prolly b/c of the intense and obnoxious amount of gain.

so yea, the pedal IS useable and can get a decent tone for practicing and having fun, but don't go through the hassle to make it a performing pedal. i'm hoping this will help someone lol. it is a very inexpensive pedal ($40? or 50). so if you have one laying around collecting dust, and have an amp that is perfect for anything short of 'brootal' metal, plug it in and it would make an ok pedal for practicing heavy ass gain stuff without having to crank your amp and add OD.

just thought UG would like to know that this pedal isn't COMPLETELY useless LOL. like i said, usable if you have an amp that needs a quick and cheap fix to hi gain practicing. don't expect a heavenly tone though.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Eh. Ever since that thing screeched at me in GC last year, I've held a deep sense of loathing for it.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
oh yea it's not a pretty sounding pedal, but the setting i used was about the best i could get out of it. i'm not claiming it's any better than anyone else's 'metal' tone, just that it's a passable one.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
yeah, that was kind of my opinion on most pedals that everyone hates around here.
i remember my friend (whos isnt really a guitar player, more of a hobbyist) bought a boss DS-1. well he brought it too me so i could see his "sweet new pedal". i heard some recordings (this is where his talent lies, sound engineer/recording stuff-dude) he did with it, and the dirt was much better than the drive channel on his fender FM212. i plugged it into my Hot rod deluxe, and i got some pretty cool sounds with it. it was nice for playing around with, i wouldnt take it with me to a show, but i would use it in the studio. in our band sometimes i layer alot of different guitar parts, and with lots of patience i got some sounds out of it that would work for certain stuff. a decent player with a good ear can get alot out of almost any peice of equipment IMO.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
It is about as good sounding as the boss metalcore. Thank god I sold that pedal today
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by chea_man
yeah, that was kind of my opinion on most pedals that everyone hates around here.
i remember my friend (whos isnt really a guitar player, more of a hobbyist) bought a boss DS-1. well he brought it too me so i could see his "sweet new pedal". i heard some recordings (this is where his talent lies, sound engineer/recording stuff-dude) he did with it, and the dirt was much better than the drive channel on his fender FM212. i plugged it into my Hot rod deluxe, and i got some pretty cool sounds with it. it was nice for playing around with, i wouldnt take it with me to a show, but i would use it in the studio. in our band sometimes i layer alot of different guitar parts, and with lots of patience i got some sounds out of it that would work for certain stuff. a decent player with a good ear can get alot out of almost any peice of equipment IMO.

The DS-1 is supposed to be a pretty fair pedal, from all I've heard. Didn't Kobain use a stock one? And if nothing else, it can be modified into something great.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Ya I think the ds-1 is decent to. I think most of the lower gain boss pedals are decent like the ds-1 and the bd-2 and there overdrive pedals are good. But when they make higher gain pedals like the metal zone and metal core they sound like crap.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
well when i think of great tone, Cobain is one of the last people that come to mind. anything modded can be sweet.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
a decent player with a good ear can get alot out of almost any peice of equipment IMO.

+ a lot.

It's called working with what you have.
^amen to that.

though it's hard to work w/ a one trick pony
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
so slash how you doing
you're messing with a digitech death metal? haha
well nice that you could find a nice setting with it
never really could with my metalzone
how'd the whole vox ad30 effects thing go
that was a great idea btw
and also, you had a valvetronix AND a death metal pedal just laying around?
danggg lol
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I didnt find the death metal pedal that bad....

However my ear has grown since then too.... SO I could have been out to lunch

However Brootalz just isnt my cup of tea, so I have no idea really.....

Yeah I dont know why I am in this thread... /leaves
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^amen to that.

though it's hard to work w/ a one trick pony

You know what is awesome IMO. Everyone rags on the Boss MT-2, but according to guitargeek, Warren Haynes uses/used one in The Allman Brothers. His tone is orgasmic (maybe because he plays through a SLO100).