Hey UGer's, I'm planning on getting a Les Paul shaped guitar, and was wondering, out of these three, which one would be more versatile. Here they are:

- ESP LTD EC-500 w/ EMG's

- ESP LTD EC-400VF

- Agile AL-3100 Blue Flame EMG

I am not looking into upgrading electronics in the near future, so if you can tell me what the differences in sound are, it would help narrow down my choices.

Thanks in advanced.
get the real stuff if u want a les paul tone
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
The JB / 59 pickup set in the EC-400 is the most versatile pickup set you can find ;-)

what styles do you want to play and which amp do you have?
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez SZ-520QM (D-Sonic/Air Norton)
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-Engl E530 + 930/60 Poweramp
-POD X3L
Gibson
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
The middle one would be the most versatile.

The other two are great guitars, but they're more geared towards Metal.

^Let me finish your sentence.
...is a very expensive brand that isn't exactly what he's looking for.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by LiveinBerkum
The JB / 59 pickup set in the EC-400 is the most versatile pickup set you can find ;-)

what styles do you want to play and which amp do you have?

Definitely agree, after playing some LTDs I can say they are good quality guitars, and I personally like the EC guitars more than Epiphones, but the JB/59 combo will give you more versatility that the EMG set.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
get the real stuff if u want a les paul tone

i just revoked your right to post in these forums.

yeah, i can do that.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
^*looks at his gear*

Yeah, he really can.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
The EC-500 will have the best build quality, which I think is the most important thing to consider.

Though I don't think the active EMGs are a very good choice, though that's just down to personal preference....
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Depends on what you want to play, how much you want to spend, what your amp is, and why it has to specifically be Les Paul shaped.
An Epiphone LP would be the closet budget LP you could get if you want something that has the look and feel of a Gibson LP.

LTD EC series is pretty good. They are a lot lighter so you won't have a sore shoulder after playing for a while. They also have pretty decent pickups for their price range so you shouldn't really have to upgrade.

I never played an Agile before.

For reference: I own a Gibson LP Std, Epi LP custom, and a LTD EC-1000. I like Les Pauls.
the agile and ec-500 will sound the same with the emgs.
the ec-400 will have less output (less distortion) but much better cleans

the ec-400/500 will play slightly differently than the agile, thinner neck, jumbo frets, while the agile will play more like a standard les paul would
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Quote by Perturabo
Definitely agree, after playing some LTDs I can say they are good quality guitars, and I personally like the EC guitars more than Epiphones, but the JB/59 combo will give you more versatility that the EMG set.

wow my thoughts exactly
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
The only glaring difference between the EC-400VF and the EC-500 is the quilt top and the number of frets (24 on the 500 and 22 on the 400), so unless anyone can convince me to go with either the Agile or the EC-500 by tomorrow, it's most likely going to be the EC-400. Thanks for the help.
I would probably get the Agile. For one, it looks a helluva lot better than the EC-400, imo, of course.

Besides, what makes the EC400 worth $130 more than the Agile? I mean, that's more than 120% of the cost of the Agile.
Unless you are only playing metal get the one WITHOUT EMGs. It'll be much more diverse and it most likely can still do metal if you want it to.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
I was just thinking, if the Agile uses better quality wood, I can probably replace the EMG's, sell them, and get Seymour Duncan JBs anyways. Does anybody know the difference in quality from the woods in the Agile and the ESP?

Another thing that annoys me is that I wont be able to play either of them because guitar center doesn't stock em, so I have to go on advice from the forums.

I really appreciate the help I'm getting, thanks guys.
I would get the agile and upgrade it. modifying guitars is a fun hobby and it makes the guitar feel more one of a kind. you will have a better connection to the guitar if you spend time customizing it, and you will end up with a higher quality instrument.