Besides "plugging a broken guitar into a broken amp" which amp should I choose for Jack White's sound? I know a lot of people hate him, but put that aside for a second please I know about the airline, big muff, digi whammy, etc... And I know he uses an old Fender twin reverb or a silvertone. The reason I wasn't automatically going to just buy a twin reverb is because I can't push it to breakup in the house im living in. Are there some fender heads with a bit more gain that can get that twin reverb breakup sound? Or maybe another amp? Any help is much appreciated thanks!
Go for a lower wattage fender, like a SR or deluxe?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Vintage Silvertone amps are nice and cheap.

But I'd say Deluxe Reverb or an Ampeg Jet. Or a Vintage Ampeg Accordian amp. I've seen one, very good condition, for about 700 bucks. At Guitar Center. So if it's that cheap at GC, imagine what you can find online. Vintage Jets run about the same.

As far as who uses the Ampeg with a similar sound to Jack White, Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys uses a vintage Ampeg, so it would give you a similar sound (but better, IMO).

You could also get a good White Stripes tone out of an Epiphone amp.

EDIT: Also look at the NOS Blues Junior and the Pro Junior.
Quote by imgooley
Vintage Silvertone amps are nice and cheap.

But I'd say Deluxe Reverb or an Ampeg Jet. Or a Vintage Ampeg Accordian amp. I've seen one, very good condition, for about 700 bucks. At Guitar Center. So if it's that cheap at GC, imagine what you can find online. Vintage Jets run about the same.

As far as who uses the Ampeg with a similar sound to Jack White, Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys uses a vintage Ampeg, so it would give you a similar sound (but better, IMO).

You could also get a good White Stripes tone out of an Epiphone amp.

EDIT: Also look at the NOS Blues Junior and the Pro Junior.

Ya I really like the black keys sound also. It is similar for sure. I've been looking at the re-issue Fender 57 Twin-Amp Tweed Combo Amp, and Fender 57 Twin-Amp Deluxe Combo Amp. They're both 12w and look to breakup with the stock speakers at about 4. I'm sure I won't be able to try these out though...
Quote by mousse8865
Ya I really like the black keys sound also. It is similar for sure. I've been looking at the re-issue Fender 57 Twin-Amp Tweed Combo Amp, and Fender 57 Twin-Amp Deluxe Combo Amp. They're both 12w and look to breakup with the stock speakers at about 4. I'm sure I won't be able to try these out though...

The 57 twin amp is 40 watts and the 57 Deluxe is 12 watts.

Both out-freakin-standing amps. Truly. But they are both 2 grand +. You can get an excellent tone out of an actual vintage Ampeg with 20 watts that will break up easily.

There is also the Deluxe Reverb reissue. 22 watts, and sounds beastly good when cranked. Throw a big muff in front of it and you have The Stripes. You can get a Von Bondies tone out of it, too.

Pretty much any Vintage American voiced amp can pull off that really rich, thick garage rock tone.
Quote by imgooley
The 57 twin amp is 40 watts and the 57 Deluxe is 12 watts.

Both out-freakin-standing amps. Truly. But they are both 2 grand +. You can get an excellent tone out of an actual vintage Ampeg with 20 watts that will break up easily.

There is also the Deluxe Reverb reissue. 22 watts, and sounds beastly good when cranked. Throw a big muff in front of it and you have The Stripes. You can get a Von Bondies tone out of it, too.

Pretty much any Vintage American voiced amp can pull off that really rich, thick garage rock tone.

Yeah my mistake, it is 40w. I'll have to check out the deluxe reverb reissue. When you say vintage ampeg, about what years are you referring to? Because I live in a town house I wanted a fairly low watt so I can crank it and get that breakup at a reasonable sound level. About when does the dlx reissue breakup? My ****ty town doesn't have a lot of stuff to try out. Wish I could get my hands on some of these.
Last edited by mousse8865 at Jun 17, 2008,
The early sixties models. Some late 50's models too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ampeg-Reverberocket-2-GS-12R-Guitar-AMP-Vintage-1960s_W0QQitemZ150256953957QQcmdZViewItem

This is a good example. Vintage Ampegs are cheap. You could easily get a Jet, a Portaflex, and Accordion Amp, or a Reverberocket for under a grand.
Quote by mousse8865
Yeah my mistake, it is 40w. I'll have to check out the deluxe reverb reissue. When you say vintage ampeg, about what years are you referring to? Because I live in a town house I wanted a fairly low watt so I can crank it and get that breakup at a reasonable sound level. About when does the dlx reissue breakup? My ****ty town doesn't have a lot of stuff to try out. Wish I could get my hands on some of these.

The Ampegs are fairly low wattage, around 15-20 watts. The Deluxe Reverb is 22 watts, so it will break up at a pretty decent house volume.

What's your price range BTW? You might want to give a GA-20 a try.

EDIT: Well, if you can't try amps, it's going to be difficult to find the perfect tone for you. The 57 Deluxe and a Vintage Ampeg would be what I would go with, if I couldn't swing a test run on a bunch of amps. A Vintage Ampeg will be considerably cheaper, though you may have to do some maintenance on it.
Last edited by imgooley at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by imgooley
The Ampegs are fairly low wattage, around 15-20 watts. The Deluxe Reverb is 22 watts, so it will break up at a pretty decent house volume.

What's your price range BTW? You might want to give a GA-20 a try.

EDIT: Well, if you can't try amps, it's going to be difficult to find the perfect tone for you. The 57 Deluxe and a Vintage Ampeg would be what I would go with, if I couldn't swing a test run on a bunch of amps. A Vintage Ampeg will be considerably cheaper, though you may have to do some maintenance on it.

my price range is around $2,000 but I don't need to spend that much. In doing some research I found out that Dan from the Black Keys is now using a twin reverb re-issue on their 08 tour. Not to mention a couple marshalls and other gear.

Hmmm Maybe the 57 deluxe would be the ideal choice. Or maybe the 65' Deluxe 22w
Last edited by mousse8865 at Jun 17, 2008,