Page 1 of 3
is fantastic.

It worries me that so many people here try to paint it as a negative characteristic.
Is this because it scares people?
Could this be because people are intimidated by their own mediocrity whilst in the presence of elitists?

Seriously, I'm interested in why anyone could consider it bad or somehow wrong to be elitist.

It drives innovation and creation
It's what keeps pushing music forwards.
It's what helps you avoid the mediocrity of rock and metal.
It's what makes you realise that melody is for simple minded fools.
It's what makes you laugh at Dreamtheater loving faux 'metalhead' elitists.

So, how do you feel about elitism?
Elitism is below my level of awesomeness.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
When I think of elitism I think of genre elitism. That is just ****ing annoying. No one genre is better than the other as it's all percieved from different peoples perspectives.
Because it tries to give subjective appreciation of music an objective edge, which is just bollocks.
I'm curious, teegman, what is your definition of elitism? I've primarily seen the term applied to metalheads, particularly the "it's for pussies if it's not TEH BR00TALZ" type. I dislike these people because they lack an open mind, simply considering their preferred music to be the best and refusing to listen to anything different.
kill all humans
Elitism is stupid, childish, and irrational. Have fun with your misconceptions and exclusion.
Teegman you troll
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by teegman
is fantastic.

It worries me that so many people here try to paint it as a negative characteristic.
Is this because it scares people?
Could this be because people are intimidated by their own mediocrity whilst in the presence of elitists?

Seriously, I'm interested in why anyone could consider it bad or somehow wrong to be elitist.

Elitist twat...

Being elitist is when you think your opinion is better than others. You shun those who believe differently and believe you are better than them.

You think this should be encouraged? Ziggums....

Ghey boy.
Quote by imgooley
Elitism is stupid, childish, and irrational. Have fun with your misconceptions and exclusion.

+1

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
i too would like to raise my distaste for elitism. such 'Band X sucks, they aren't real metal/they're sell outs/whatever'. it's as if people aren't permitted to like bands for what they are, not what some snob thinks they should be.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
"elitism" and "elite" are different but are substituted for each other a lot.

"elite" is the best of the best, like Oxbridge (elite universities) or Manchester United (elite football club); "elitism" is thinking you are superior to others just because you may be smarter or better skilled and have the power to exclude them. an "elitist" is a person who fits this description.

and i think the TS is narrow minded.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
lol @ UG's gullability for trolls
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Elitism is sometimes a positive force and sometimes it's not, for example;

Elitism in education based upon ability, concerning specfically university level education is, in my opinion, a good thing. Whilst education elitism based upon earnings is wrong.

So the only acceptable answer is 'it depends'.

When it comes to music? No, elitism is not acceptable; everyonen is into music for different things, why people like musica cannot be judged on an objective scale therefore eltism in music, whilst not being in any way of consequence to anyone who has better things to do, is simply wrong.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
well...

i would say its not acceptable, but its there. everyone has preferences, and to different people, of course different bands are better than others. these are debates that can never be concluded. its about taking one step back. this is the internet, no one takes one step back.
I dislike all kinds of close mindedness. Thinking your taste is better than others or a band is more or less 'real' (what the hell would that even mean anyway? :S) is totally foreign to me and I really don't get the point.
The music genre section on this forum is very elitist and completely ridiculous.
People like what they like, I doubt anyone really cares what the elitists have to say. Maybe just a way of gaining attention.
Quote by meh!
When it comes to music? No, elitism is not acceptable; everyone is into music for different things, why people like musica cannot be judged on an objective scale therefore elitism in music, whilst not being in any way of consequence to anyone who has better things to do, is simply wrong.

So you would say that it isn't acceptable for someone who has a vast knowledge on music to press his/her opinion on, say, someone who has only ever listened to a dozen or so artists?
Surely the one who has been exposed to the far larger and more diverse range of music is in a better position to judge what is good music or not?
I dare say that music isn't nearly as subjective as most people like to make it out to be, it seems to be a safety net for close-mindedness.
Quote by teegman

I lost any respect I had for your argument when I read that
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by teegman
So you would say that it isn't acceptable for someone who has a vast knowledge on music to press his/her opinion on, say, someone who has only ever listened to a dozen or so artists?
Surely the one who has been exposed to the far larger and more diverse range of music is in a better position to judge what is good music or not?
I dare say that music isn't nearly as subjective as most people like to make it out to be, it seems to be a safety net for close-mindedness.

'Surely the one who has been exposed to the far larger and more diverse range of music is in a better position to judge what is good music or not?'

It's these value judgements that are the problem, they're relics of another age. The fact that I have a great knowledge of music than a punter, and my dad has a greater knowledge of music than me (i'm talking theory/application here) means that I can make a more informed decision on some things. if I'm, say, looking for music with 2-5-6-1- progressions and lots of substitutions, I can say 'Ah, taht'll be in Jazz'. Or my dad can say, with his knowledge of music, that jazz was formed in 'New Orleans when black met white!'.

But, point to me where any of this knowledge can lead me to 'better' music? It can lead me to music which is pleasing due to my understanding of it, certainly, and different music can be pleasurable in different ways when you are a 'musical person. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that punters simply have music as a sountrack to their lives, paying little or no attention to it. However, all these things simply revolve around interest, understanding and apprecation of music and unless you have some standard to qualify it with, you can't say 'so and so is good music whilst so and so is bad'.

If we were living in the 1800s there would be strict convetions to which one must conform if one wishes to create good music, but we don't so I think value judgements in art are relics.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by wiggy1988
I lost any respect I had for your argument when I read that
His user-title was "hates Melody" pre-banning
First things first:

Quote by teegman
is fantastic.

Nope, in all the RL and online experiences I have of eitism it keeps everything static, completely static.
Quote by teegman

See above.
Quote by teegman

Maybe. A lot of the bands commonly associated with elitism is quite mediocre IMO.
Quote by teegman

Melodies are part of music, but not the only essence of it, but it is still a vital part. Though if you prefer one thing over another it is not simple mindedness, it is preference. Considering otherwise on the other hand is simple minded, or actually just closed minded.
Quote by teegman

If you laugh at somebodies music then you are simple minded. There are a lot of music genres I don't like, but I chose to ignore them competely.
Quote by teegman

In most cases I feel that elitists should be shot on site, because it is practicaly the backwards of everything you said, at least from what I've seen and experienced throughout my life.

EDIT:
I checked your profile, again, and saw one of my comments:
Quote by Sheepdragon

By looking at your list of threads and post I've got to say: obvious troll is obvious.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Last edited by Sheepdragon at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by teegman

Care to explain how?

No, it does the opposite. In order for music to progress, a band or artist generally has to embrace different genres and styles. If you listen solely to one specific genre of music, the chances are you are going to compose in that one genre and your music will never really progress. Look at Classical elitists.

Firstly, that statement doesn't really make any sense. What if you're a Metal elitist? Secondly, not all rock is medicore. I know you're mainly saying this to provoke a response from the Dream Thatre/Opeth fanboys of the Pit but I also think you are somewhat serious about that statement. Look at bands experimental rock bands like Can and Sonic Youth...

Uhmm... wrong. I think most music places too much emphasis on melodies that are empty and really do nothing for the listener. Not all melodies though. Look at artists like Boards of Canada.

cool.
Quote by Sheepdragon

I checked your profile, again, and saw one of my comments:

it's not that obvious if you fell for it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Tarzan_man
Music is Subjective. It's all opinions.

+1

And it's true, I hate Musical elitists. Especially when they'll make fun of you because you hate Slipknot, Dragonforce or A7X. It even worse that they're all sissies. One time I got in a fight with one of them, and he was scared ****less just because I was willing to fight. I won
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
I can just see teegman sitting alone in a cave, cackling maniacally, hunched over a desk with amassed papers, plotting his next troll thread.

Anyway, elitists are unable to tell the difference between fact and opinion and think they're superior to everyone, which is an unattractive quality to have.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
The only people who have a problem with my elitism are people with bad taste. So, I don't care.

OH MY GOD! He's back! I thought you were permabanned.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by teegman

If I remember correctly, you're the ****in' idiot who thinks that acoustic instruments are obsolete.

Right?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
If I remember correctly, you're the ****in' idiot who thinks that acoustic instruments are obsolete.

Right?

He's a troll.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Ah well **** he got me all pissed off again, so I went ahead and banned him.

I should really stop reading threads like this, it ruins my appearance of absolute fairness and justice
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Ah well **** he got me all pissed off again, so I went ahead and banned him.

I should really stop reading threads like this, it ruins my appearance of absolute fairness and justice

Nicely done. I don't think anyone will mind (besides perhaps JOJ).

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Page 1 of 3