Hey all,
I'm looking to make some live recordings of local bands in the future - bootleg style I suppose - and I was wondering what equipment I will need to record with. Keep in mind that if I ask for it I will probably have access to the soundboard.
I saw a few guys recording some Rory Gallagher tribute bands at the tribute festival a few weeks a go using what looked like a very hi-tech dictaphone, plugging it into the soundboard and recording the whole gig.
Quote by saphrax
Soundboard Line Out -> Minidisk Line In.

The only decent use of a minidisk I've seen recently.

+1

This is how our radio station record the gigs we put on.

Line Out -> Minidisk then upload the minidisk to a computer
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
If you wanted (sounds like you have some sort of official approval if you can get soundboard access) you could rig up a mic over the audience for a bit of atmosphere. Anything will do really, SM-58 or something.
I use a USB connector with 2 jack/XLR inputs to go into my laptop: I'd put the main mix on the line out of the board on one and the audience mic on the other, then balance them later in Audition.
Quote by Yakult
+1

This is how our radio station record the gigs we put on.

Line Out -> Minidisk then upload the minidisk to a computer

I do a radio show as well. I'm not sure what equipment the station has but I guess I'm better off asking them than trying to scrounge stuff on my own.