Page 1 of 2
If "emo culture" is all about individuality, and expressing yourself freely, then why is the fashion style so conformed? I mean, if one were to really "be himself," then why would he go get a standardized "emo haircut" and dress "the way emos do" and act "how emos act?" To me it seems very UN-individualistic.

Again, no offense intended. I'm just confused is all.
Quote by fixationdarknes
If "emo culture" is all about individuality, and expressing yourself freely, then why is the fashion style so conformed? I mean, if one were to really "be himself," then why would he go get a standardized "emo haircut" and dress "the way emos do" and act "how emos act?" To me it seems very UN-individualistic.

Again, no offense intended. I'm just confused is all.

dude!!!

this thread sucks.

edit: if you must know, its cause they were bullied as children.
That's why everyone makes fun of them
Quote by Lolcheez324
1 time i was home alone and i said i want a cheeseburger and then mah dad got home and he had a bag of potatoes
i wanna point out that its more of a fashion than a culture
i gather that dressing like an emo used to be quite unique
bt now evry1s doing itso its not anymore
meh
at least im different
with my long ginger locks and bright green jeans
woo!
Chances are the fashion statement you follow is pretty conformist too
Its hard for people to be original and "non conformist" becuase everyones striving to do that.

so ummmm deal with it ?
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Quote by oscar666

with my long ginger locks and bright green jeans
woo!

oh my god...a green-jeaned red head *swoon* how awesome
Its Complicated
this time i think it might be
Triangulated
Quote by loubot123
Its hard for people to be original and "non conformist" becuase everyones striving to do that.

so ummmm deal with it ?

Right, I understand that my fashion style is conceived from generality and such, but it's just that "emos" have a pretty set standard to follow as far as fashion goes.

And I'm not trying to act like a bitch. Again, I'm just curious to understand it all. Is that such a sin?
I get called an emo.

I only have a fringe, nothing else about me is emo, although I do listen to some 'emo' music.

Ahh but yeahh, I hate when people say that. They should say they are being themselves. I'm myself, if it's unoriginal, then whatever, it's still me. And I think that's what 'emos' mean when they say that. 'They' just don't explain themselves very well.
wear a bright green spandex suit...then you'll be non-conformist....

Of course you'll probably be raped by some 1980s rock star...
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
I get called an emo all the time cos I have a long fringe and wear skinny jeans. I don't have any of the bull**** attitude or the music taste though.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Right, I understand that my fashion style is conceived from generality and such, but it's just that "emos" have a pretty set standard to follow as far as fashion goes.

And I'm not trying to act like a bitch. Again, I'm just curious to understand it all. Is that such a sin?

Hmm not nessecarily, I know it seems like they are all simmilar but then again thats just opinion, where as if your part of this "emo scene" they think that they are fairl original, it just depends where your point of view stands
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Quote by FireTag
No matter how "individual" someone is, everyone wants to feel a part of something. Emo's want to attract other emo's (emoes? emii?) so dress and act according. Freudian interpretations ftw.

+1

"emii"
Quote by rolling_stoner
That's why everyone makes fun of them

yeah and because they're different, like they did with the punks in the 80's, i feel like an alien when i'm out with people
Quote by loubot123

so ummmm deal with it ?

This reminds me of one time a girl to to explain me that by conforming in dress, I'm a nonconformist. I dress quite plainly, earth tones, ordinary clothes.

Her: You see, by dressing like a communist and looking like so many people, not following trends, you're actually very nonconformist.'

Me: ...erm, I just like to dress like this.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Emo's still exist?

A lot of the people I've talked to that look like the stereotypical emo havn't really cared about the individuality / message / etc. behind how they look. They just like to dress that way.
Quote by ShaggyDan
Emo's still exist?

A lot of the people I've talked to that look like the stereotypical emo havn't really cared about the individuality / message / etc. behind how they look. They just like to dress that way.

This.

You guys are looking into it too deeply. Some people like wearing certain clothes. Why does there have to be a deeper meaning behind everyones' attire?
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult

You guys are looking into it too deeply. Some people like wearing certain clothes. Why does there have to be a deeper meaning behind everyones' attire?

I'm not looking into anything too deeply. I didn't assume this situation. A girl I know over AIM was talking to me and told me about all the 'standardized rules that emos follow,' then proceeded to say that it is important for an emo to "act him/herself." I then asked her how conforming to these standards is acting yourself in any way at all. She didn't ever have a good response, so that's why I'm asking here...
since when did you listen to people who had rules for being yourself?
lmfao.
Quote by fixationdarknes
That's my point. I stopped listening to her after she contradicted herself lol.

well good lol.
everyone is ****ing emo. we are all emotional. If you're referring to the fashion, there definetly is a postergirl/posterboy image to it that people will try to resemble (who usually are depressed teenagers lol), so they can fit in. They look different from everyone else. It's hard to really individualize yourself enough to the point where no one can classify you. Even if you don't classify yourself people are still going to group, it's just what we do.
Quote by Gmp
That's the irony of it all.

Dingdingding we have a winner!

It's because it's a fashion trend. It just so happens that lots of the people who follow this trend like to think they're being really unique, because it makes them feel better about their shallow existance. Who are we to point out to them that there's a twisted irony in their total hypocrisy?

Just remember: You're unique. And so is everyone else.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Nonconformity is not actually the culture. It's a stereotype.
I hang out with and am part of what people consider to be the "emo" group [damn labeling juniors] at my school [even though I firmly believe that I and most of my friends are extremely un-emo].
For us, we just dress how we want to dress, but we all have similar interests which are reflected by our clothes. We all listen to the same bands and shop at the same stores, but we have a way of putting our own personal spin on our fashion. Amongst ourselves, we can easily pick out plenty of differences in our styles and preferences. The problem is that everyone else sees tight pants and dyed hair and runs. I'd also like to point out that none of us guys wear makeup, but we all still get **** about the eyeliner that we don't wear as if we did in fact have it around our eyes. It seems people want us to conform with every emo stereotype and are willing to see only those conformities, blocking out any actual differences from the mainstream. None of us [with the exception of one, but we have all admitted that she's just... different] believe that we're nonconformists. It's nothing but another stereotype.

Revelation?
And I'd like to apologize for the length.
Last edited by elvenlong at Jun 17, 2008,
This is ridiculous.
I play guitar (surprise) but i don't call myself a guitarist, other people might.
If I "dressed like an emo"(however that is), i wouldn't call myself an emo but others might .
Do people actually label themselves as emo? Probably not they just dress 'that way'.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I have a better question:

How did Dumbo get so drunk off of that liquor that spilled into his water tub? With his size, and the fact that the water would have dilluted the alcohol.. He shouldn't have gotten that drunk off of it. I mean.. He was seeing multi colored elephants. Weird.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Here's my little point of view on emo's. They want to kill themselves but can't figure it out. I think, they should take after their good buddy Kurt Cobain (that's right, I pulled out the Kurt Cobain card) and shoot themselves in the ****ing face if they want to die. None of this "slit my wrists" bull****. All they want is attention, and I think they should all get the attention they deserve, a quick punch in the mouth.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by Jack Off Jill

How did Dumbo get so drunk off of that liquor that spilled into his water tub? With his size, and the fact that the water would have dilluted the alcohol.. He shouldn't have gotten that drunk off of it. I mean.. He was seeing multi colored elephants. Weird.

I always assumed someone spiked the drink. Because I've never seen pink elephants when I'm drunk. I think it would take more than alcohol to do that.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
I always assumed someone spiked the drink. Because I've never seen pink elephants when I'm drunk. I think it would take more than alcohol to do that.

Impossi-bibble. That movie is set in 1941. Acid was around at the time, technically.. but it wasn't wide spread. So unless Albert Hoffmann was at the circus at the time.. I can't see it as possible.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Impossi-bibble. That movie is set in 1941. Acid was around at the time, technically.. but it wasn't wide spread. So unless Albert Hoffmann was at the circus at the time.. I can't see it as possible.

Who said anything about acid? There are other hallucinogens out there, I'll have you know. Or maybe Dumbo is just an attention-*****. Like those girls who pretend to be drunk after half a can of Strongbow so they can run about screaming, and fuck some guy they don't know and pretend that it doesn't make them a slut.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
Who said anything about acid? There are other hallucinogens out there, I'll have you know. Or maybe Dumbo is just an attention-*****. Like those girls who pretend to be drunk after half a can of Strongbow so they can run about screaming, and fuck some guy they don't know and pretend that it doesn't make them a slut.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. He did lose his mother at a pretty early age, kids who are separated from loved ones like that usually do act out as a cry for help. So, I can imagine Dumbo leading that kind of lifestyle. I can't believe Disney wants these people to be our role models.. Or maybe he just wanted to let everyone know about some of the problems facing our children. That Disney sure was ahead of his time.

Come to think of it.. Quasimodo was pretty emo himself.

Look at that hair.

This joke only works if you disregard that Disney wasn't alive during the time The Hunchback of Notre Dame was made, and that this version of the story wasn't done by Disney at all.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill

this
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
In every scene there are innovators and followers. The innovators have moved on, just leaving the followers all copying each other.
Page 1 of 2