how do you hardmount pickups?

i imagine that its fairly simple as its just a case of screwing the pickup to the body, without screws, however, i was wondering about how deep the caity would need to be, because if a pickup was going to be hardmounted then surely i would need to have a smaller hole (depth wise) so that the pickup still sat fairly close to the strings?

anyone seen a guide on it anywhere?
I'm pretty sure that some people just route the cavity to normal depth, then wedge a block of wood under the pickup to raise it. Take a look at the cavity depth for a single coil for ideas, as their hardmounted.

Also, if you get no decent replies, send a message to LP Addict. He's a hardmount *****.
Quote by CobenBlack
just a case of screwing the pickup to the body, without screws,

How would you screw it into the wood without screws?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
put springs under your pickup on the screws.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by leviticus_22953
put springs under your pickup on the screws.

Nah, nah...he's looking to direct mount it to his guitar.
It's supposed to give you more sustain, yadda yadda yadda...

I don't believe in it much.

ANYWAY, CobenBlack. What I would do is head down to your local hardware store. They should have these little washer-like thingies, which are essentially little metal cylinders. Get ones that'll fit around your screw and are of an appropriate height. Mount the pickup with those instead of springs, and your pickup won't be moving at all, so it's basically direct mounted.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Nah, nah...he's looking to direct mount it to his guitar.
It's supposed to give you more sustain, yadda yadda yadda...

I don't believe in it much.

ANYWAY, CobenBlack. What I would do is head down to your local hardware store. They should have these little washer-like thingies, which are essentially little metal cylinders. Get ones that'll fit around your screw and are of an appropriate height. Mount the pickup with those instead of springs, and your pickup won't be moving at all, so it's basically direct mounted.

cool - i'll give it a do
washers? and you could have some sort of standoff basically, what he's talking about. i wouldn't suggest washers though..
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by -MintSauce-
I'm pretty sure that some people just route the cavity to normal depth, then wedge a block of wood under the pickup to raise it. Take a look at the cavity depth for a single coil for ideas, as their hardmounted.

Also, if you get no decent replies, send a message to LP Addict. He's a hardmount *****.

hahahhahahaha

you gotta do some measuring if you want to be done perfectly, aka pickup and screw, but if you are retro-doing it, you just need some foam and spray adhesive, put the foam under the pickup and adhere it the BODY, then screw your pickup down onto that, it will act as your springs.
Quote by LP Addict
hahahhahahaha

you gotta do some measuring if you want to be done perfectly, aka pickup and screw, but if you are retro-doing it, you just need some foam and spray adhesive, put the foam under the pickup and adhere it the BODY, then screw your pickup down onto that, it will act as your springs.

ok so, if i do it the way where i have to do some measuring then what depth am i measuring to? is there a specific measurement, like half of the height of the pickup . . . or is it a case of keep trying and find out?

and if i do the retro way, i presume you mean a fairly thick piece of foam, that will push against the pickup (kind of in the same way a spring does, and then screw the pickup into the body of the guitar through the foam?