Hey guys, I saw one of these the other day, at my local music shop and fell in love with it instantly. Im only a beginner still, but I do plan on getting good and making something of my bass playing, and I was wondering if getting one of these is worth it? Ive done some research and so far ive only read good about them so I was thinking of actually buying it, once I have the money.
Its $2300 AU.
By the time I have said moneyz I will be more skilled at playing, and it will be good motivation to really play the shit out of it once I have it.
Does anyone on here own a Dean? Can I have some opinions/feedback please.
Help much appreciated.

Oh yeah, the one in store is Jet Black, but they said they can order one in a differnt colour if I really wanted to.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

I owned a dean. The worst bass I've ever played.

RANT BEGIN

I think They've gone to far with this whole signiture model thing. I mean that company must make more money on those models than the rest of their complete range. I was at the London Guitar Show and i went to the dean stand, Suprisingly Full of his face and Image.

I mean a Dimebag Bass? What's next the Dimebag Timpani or Dimebag Cello?

I love Pantera and This is just too far.

How many signiture models have other legends got? 1 or 2? I know Randy Rhoads has had a whole fleet of guitar models but that is beside the point.

RANT OVER

Personally i think you should keep the idea of working towards a nice expensive bass! Try looking at everything else in the price range. Take into aspect Different Pickup combinations, Materials, the company's craftmanship etc.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by flyingmarlin

RANT BEGIN

I think They've gone to far with this whole signiture model thing. I mean that company must make more money on those models than the rest of their complete range. I was at the London Guitar Show and i went to the dean stand, Suprisingly Full of his face and Image.

How many signiture models have other legends got? 1 or 2? I know Randy Rhoads has had a whole fleet of guitar models but that is beside the point.

RANT OVER

Personally i think you should keep the idea of working towards a nice expensive bass! Try looking at everything else in the price range. Take into aspect Different Pickup combinations, Materials, the company's craftmanship etc.

this
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
wat sort of music do u play?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I try to play alot of metal, and galloping, stuff like that. But I do like to try slapping too.. Im looking for soemthing heavy sounding, and looking.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by flyingmarlin

RANT BEGIN

RANT OVER

Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If you're looking for a bass you can use for metal, the only one I can personally vouch for is the Scheter Stiletto; Its got amazing tone and slaps better then anything I've ever played. I've also heard good things about Ibanez, ESP, and higher end BC Rich models (though I personally find everything they make except the mockingbird repulsive). Good luck man.
personally i dont like the razorback bass, i played on at my local dean stockist & i much prefered the demonator. theyre made fromm basswodd with bolt-on construction, & stupidly expensive for the poor quality.
demonator - neck-thru, mahogany, £500
razorback - bolt-on, basswood, £700

p.s. not all the razorbacks are dime signatures, just the ones with fancey finishes are... i think
If you plan on 2300 try some of the warwicks. I'm not a big fan of the V model and also not about dean so these two combined to me would be a no for me.
Brands is would check: Fender, Warwick, Shecter, SPector, Ibanez, Stingray and perhaps Alembic. Using a good amp and pedal (possibly) will make any of these basses sound "metal" like.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
I've owned a dean bass and like the first post said, they are terrible. It was the worst playing experience i ever went through. My hundred dollar bass from target felt/sounded/played better than it, I haven't tried those models but i am firmly against deans of all sorts, thats just my opinion.

I like Ibanez models, they have a nice tone IMO. I love how Spector basses look as well, but i have never heard them so i don't know if they have a good tone or anything
I find anything (even if it plays like a god) that looks simple, i find boring, and I have no desire to own one (particulary fender, or any P Bass, even though I own one atm.)
BC Rich and Dean are the brands I want to go for, theyre very interesting and bad ass looking. And yes I know, alot of people despise BC Rich
Has anyone here played a BC Rich Platnuim Beast Bass?
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

You want to buy a bass of the two brands that dont make a good bass but have that metal design. That is just outright stupid.
But it's your money to waste.

All BC rich are crap but from what i hear this one should be ok:
http://www.bcrich.com/bass_zombie_exotic.asp

Dean are all beginner bass and the dimebag one is over prized. For a little bit more you get a warwick. And for the same price you have a rockbass by warwic. Or a Fender P bass. SOOO much more value for money.

But again it's your money to waste. It's Just dumb to buy a bass pure for looks i'm sure most of the people here agree.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by higgins666
personally i dont like the razorback bass, i played on at my local dean stockist & i much prefered the demonator. theyre made fromm basswodd with bolt-on construction, & stupidly expensive for the poor quality.
demonator - neck-thru, mahogany, £500
razorback - bolt-on, basswood, £700

p.s. not all the razorbacks are dime signatures, just the ones with fancey finishes are... i think

The razorback ML's are but not the V's I don't think I've ever seen Dime play a RB V.
I'd personally go for an ESP bass if I was playing metal if I were you...
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
When you go to buy your bass, try a few others around your price range. If you think a Dean or BC Rich feels the best then it's the right one for you, but if I had to bet money I'd put it on you finding something else that feels, sounds and plays better.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
ive got a cheap dean bass, an ml metalman. its soon to be replaced by a schecter or a geddy, but for a 200usd beginner bass its fine (accually quite good imo, i perfer it over a mexican fender). however, all the higher end dean basses ive played have been meh or just poor. the (i think) egde with the flamed maple top and barts sounded ok but felt... fuddly. its hard to discribe but the bass felt like it was fighting me
this is my song. i made it out of music. please help it grow big and strong by criticising it mercilessly
Quote by Im_freakinbad67
The razorback ML's are but not the V's I don't think I've ever seen Dime play a RB V.

I don't think you've seen Dime play a Razorback period......because he never did.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I don't think you've seen Dime play a Razorback period......because he never did.

Not the V model, no.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by BladeSlinger

You sir are epic win!

Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by flyingmarlin
etc.

I've got both of those on Special Order already.

Anyways. Rules of Bass Slapping Thumbs:
Guitar bodies to bass=BAAAD (as far as I'm concerned)
Dean Basses=BAAAD (as far as I've played)
Dean Basses with guitar bodies as a deceased guitar player's signature=BAAADBAAADBAAAD

So yeah. Sure it might look OK.. But it'll probebly never be as good as another bass you might buy for 2.3 grand
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
How bout a normal Flying V?
Im not sure which brand, wouldnt have a clue, but the same store had other basses there Id like to try out, that arent Dean Dime. I generally like the unusual shape and colour of these basses, its what appeals to me more than anything. Hypothertically, if I could get a bass that is known not to play all that well, to sound really kick ass, it would be a really good achievement, and a strong motivational point.

But, I am still a beginner starting to move on a bit so I dont know that well.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

The Flying V is a bad design for guitar Despite the fact that Albert King uses one and Jimi has used one too. The Flying V is even worse for bass.

Sure If you want one pure for unusual looks get the cheapest and most crappiest BC Rich and the other money you can spend on a "real" and more conventional looking bass in case you not want to LOOK good but want to SOUND good.

Like someone said before there is a reason that most of the basses have that, as you put it, boring look.

I agree with King of suede post and that is not just for slapping.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Hey, take it easy on the dude. Looks isn't something you can just take out of the equation. Sure, sound is always top priority, but that does not mean that great looks are pointless. Being on stage knowing that you look really ****in awesome with that bass is worth paying a bit extra for.
Fler Ismaskiner!
Im just trying to point out that playability and sound are your main focus. Looks the very last. If he is indeed spending 2300 on a bass he will regret it so much when he spends it on a dean especialy compared to an Alembic or Warwic for example.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
i played two of them in GC the other day and they were both terrible. I would advise against it, especially for a beginner.

actually, i wouldn't recommend it for anybody
Stop focusing on looks. Music isn't a visual art. People aren't going to comment on how cool your bass looks when they listen to a recording.

The Dean is a poor bass, bottom-line. Giving a GUITARIST a signature BASS is never a good idea. Coupled with the fact that the V shape doesn't work for basses doesn't help.

That being said, Ibanez, Schecter, and ESP/LTD are some good brands for metal basses.
Quote by CurbstompBass
Stop focusing on looks. Music isn't a visual art. People aren't going to comment on how cool your bass looks when they listen to a recording.

The Dean is a poor bass, bottom-line. Giving a GUITARIST a signature BASS is never a good idea. Coupled with the fact that the V shape doesn't work for basses doesn't help.

That being said, Ibanez, Schecter, and ESP/LTD are some good brands for metal basses.
I totally agree. BTW: I see you, CurbstompBass, have the Ampeg BA115. How good do you think it is? Is it like the Fender Rumble series;just okay but not anything spectacular? I was thinking about purchasing one.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
I totally agree. BTW: I see you, CurbstompBass, have the Ampeg BA115. How good do you think it is? Is it like the Fender Rumble series;just okay but not anything spectacular? I was thinking about purchasing one.

Quite frankly, you can do much better for your money.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking that with the BA series you're just paying for the Ampeg name.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
How bout a normal Flying V?
Im not sure which brand, wouldnt have a clue, but the same store had other basses there Id like to try out, that arent Dean Dime. I generally like the unusual shape and colour of these basses, its what appeals to me more than anything. Hypothertically, if I could get a bass that is known not to play all that well, to sound really kick ass, it would be a really good achievement, and a strong motivational point.

But, I am still a beginner starting to move on a bit so I dont know that well.

I used to feel the same as you when i started, liking basses for looks rather than sound or feel. I used ot have a wesley flying V, most awkward bass to play with when sitting down, sure it looks cool but listen to everyone else, its not worth getting a bass just for its looks. If you really want something that looks cool, check out some japanese basses like ESP and Ibanez, they have some really cool shapes and the feel or them are amazing. Or you could buy a top end BC RICH
DO NOT GET DEAN!!!!
Quote by gm jack

The (Warwick?) bass in your avatar looks mighty appealing to me

Would someone be able to reccomend me a good BC Rich? Other than the Platinum Beast?

Also, my friend has played a Dean Metalman, and shes been playing bass for about
4-5 years, says it was one of the best shes ever played...

I guess it varies apon the person maybe? What if I like it though?
Maybe I could try one that wouldnt cost me 23 hundred dollars. Dunno.
Thank you for your replys anyway guys, its given me some insight.
It comes down to this: Ill try it and see.
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
quit being so paranoid.

There aren't any good BC Rich. Except the most expensive one is ok. If you going to spend 2300 check out Warwick.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
yeah, generally with bc rich its spending a tonne on one to get it to sound good. although ive heard some good things about the heritage mockingbird *grabs flame shield*
edit: fender p bass is quite metal, steve harris uses one i believe. also warick are good & esp are aswell. personally i love my dean apart from the pick ups (replacing with SDs) but theyre not for everyone.
Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
Not the V model, no.

No....Dime hasn't been seen playing a Razorback EVER. He died right before their release. V or ML.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls