I'm supposed to be getting a visit from my cousin in a while, and about a year ago i heard he was going along with the emo trend. then a month or so ago i was told that he was playing guitar. I don't know how long he's been playing guitar, but i'm assuming it's been for about a year, as i was told he's really into it. I'm curious as to your thoughts on the probabilities in this situation. is it probable that he's made a transition from being 'emo' to being a really serious guitar player who plays a wide variety of music? or is it more likely that he's still into emo music a lot, and he's just playing those types of songs?

now i know that people can be really into one type of music and still love tons of other kinds, and that it's narrow-minded to assume that just because he likes emo music, he's going to only be into playing those types of songs.

however, this is just for speculation. I'm assuming, for the sake of the wonderful process of averaging, that if he's still into emo music, he's going to be more oriented toward it in his playing style. Plus, this is just for a bit of fun conversation after all. If it were truly serious, i wouldn't be asking the pit; and how can a discussion on the relation of 'emo' culture to music performance preferences be a serious one anyway?

so basically, what are the chances that in his guitar playing he's branched out to learn more diverse styles of music, and will be a better jamming partner than simply a person who knows a bunch of riffs to emo songs and won't be much fun with a I-IV-V or a ii-V-I progression? do you have examples of emo trend followers who also play lots of different kinds of music?

if he's only playing emo music, it just means i'll have a lot to teach him when he visits. I'll still enjoy his company for playing purposes.
He'll probably enjoy playing the music he likes, just like you do...

If I were him I probably wouldn't want to play with you; you sound like a douche.

EDIT: Maybe "douche" is a little too far: I'm hungover. I think if he takes lessons then he'll have a broader theory knowledge, obviously. If he doesn't then he'll just know songs that he's learnt
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult

If I were him I probably wouldn't want to play with you; you sound like a douche.

you'll like him eventually
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by pbiggie
you'll like him eventually

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
emo trend does not equal emo music

(i really cant believe you took the time to type all that up)
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Yakult

EDIT: Maybe "douche" is a little too far: I'm hungover. I think if he takes lessons then he'll have a broader theory knowledge, obviously. If he doesn't then he'll just know songs that he's learnt

i agree
yakult, i'll respect your opinion (however hasty it might be) and agree that i'd probably think the same thing of someone making this thread.

obviously if he plays the instrument, he's going to be good at it. but just as you wouldn't expect a skilled blues player to jump in on a metal song you've got going, someone who plays mostly emo music will have an odd transition into a jazz or blues jam. they probably know the theory behind it, but they aren't familiar with the style.

and i thoroughly covered in my first post that this isn't really serious, and it's just in a bit of fun, and that i know it's a narrow-minded speculation to think that one's musical preference will be reflected in their playing. it's 5 in the morning here, and i've been up all night. i'm just interested in some people's thoughts. you're acting like this is the most sickening discrimination against emos you've ever witnessed.
If he's only been playing a year, don't expect him to know any theory about anything, unless he plays another instrument or you've told him to learn theory.
You might wanna ring in advance and see what type of music he likes learning etc, then you can be prepared for when he comes over.
I know a girl who went from emo to a folk musician
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
well, not to be a 'dumbass', but it seems that (in my oh so humble opinion) people who really go for the emo trend tend to stick to it a bit more than people who aren't really following any one type of music. I don't really have a music style that I love above all others, so it's hard for me to relate to someone who dresses to match the music they listen to.

and i don't actually KNOW how long he's been playing, as it al comes from word of mouth. But I assume if he's 'really into it,' he's been playing a while. at least long enough for it not to be a passing fancy in the eyes of his relatives.

another thing i was trying to figure was if he had actually left the trend behind within this time span, or if he's still really into it.
i knew this geeky guy at work who turned into emo then turned back

we all thought he was trying to fit in but didnt work
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.