hey guys.....i want to learn to play a song just by hearing it...i start listening an easy and slow song but i just can't learn it by ear...i dnt know wat to do to ''improve my ear''....it's not that big problem but i'd be really happy if i could play a song by ear... i like improving
Look up info about developing your inner ear. It has a lot to do with singing the note and playing the note on the guitar so that you can "play by ear".
I think the flintsone is something in maj.lol
There's whole tone is in the twilightzone.

Then go to... I use to luv her. It's a veriation of the I,IV,V
Then knocking on heaven door..it's I,V,IV I ,V,II.

Play your guitar....play pima/pick or stumm fuller voicing.
This way you'll hear the difference between maj , min or dim.

Practice doing triads.

Humm the notes as you practice playing the scale..as someone suggested.

Go back to the very basic..the interval charts or exercise.
Practice hit the root note then the next note in the interval and climb the scale.

Then practice playing the root and the interval at the sametime.
This will help you figure out chords.
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by Antreas666
hey guys.....i want to learn to play a song just by hearing it...i start listening an easy and slow song but i just can't learn it by ear...i dnt know wat to do to ''improve my ear''....it's not that big problem but i'd be really happy if i could play a song by ear... i like improving

Start with some very basic melodies, like twinkle twinkle little star, etc and play around until you figure out the notes. It may sound lame, but it will help develop your ear & help you recognize what different intervals sound like. Plus if you can't figure out basic melodies you'll certainly be lost trying to figure out more complex music. So start basic & build your way up, refer to tabs in the beginning if you get stuck, and there's a lot of good software that you can use to help you transcribe tunes you're having difficulty with by slowing them down, looping sections, etc as well. If you're just watching tv, try to play along with theme songs, jingles, etc
Start listening to what you're playing. It take take no merit to simply hear. A duck hears also.
Stash Jam is on the ball. In order learn songs by ear, you must first be fairly familiar with recurring patterns in song structure, roughly identifying intervals (I'm not saying you need relative pitch), etc. Keep learning music and when you think you're ready, work slow. When I decided it was time for me to start learning songs by ear, and that was the best way for me to improve musically, I gave up tablature entirely- but still worked slow and concentrated on details. That's something you could try.