I found a Gibson Les Paul Special SL on eBay with a starting bid of $350. I'm willing to go up to about $550, but I'm wondering if this is even a good deal. The serial number says it's authentic, Made in the USA, and there's only a couple scratches, so I'm thinking it's all good. Anything I should be aware of here?
i think it might be a fake. for some reason that just stinks to high heaven of a fake to me.

plus, i didnt think Gibson put the molding into the back of the body?
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
i agree with p o e. i don't think they do that
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
if you are going to bid on it, wait until the last hour. maybe even the last 5 minutes, otherwise people will be fighting with you and it jacks up the price unneccesarily for whoever does win.
Rockin' shit
headstock doesnt look like a real gibson headstock to me... but then again, i dont know to much bout them...
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

run the serial # through gibson, and attach some pics with it too, then you'll find out.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
I'm pretty sure it's authentic, my little brother nearly bought one new.
Just remember though
The bitterness of low quality lasts long after the sweetness of low price.
Yeah, I'd run the serial number and send a picture like sabres said. Last time I checked, Les Pauls don't have a rib contour, although it could be a special model or something- I'm not sure.
"What was that?! *Sigh.* Here, hold my 'I Can't believe I'm Helping You' pie and watch this...."
does it matter really? you'd fool anyone if it wasnt real and thats all that matters is the name right? i mean when was the last time you went to guitar center and picked up a gibson and said "dang, i think this is worth every last penny of $3,500! i dont even care that it has plastic tuners and doesnt sound much different or play much different than that $300 epiphone!" people pay all the money for the name...and if your just going for the effect of Z0mG U H@v3 A r3aL Gib50l\l!!!!!!!?!?!? then it wont matter if its real or not becasue people think it is.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I ran the serial number and got this:

Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
October 12nd, 2001
Production Number: 133
Quote by brett_benjamin
I'm no pro, but, I thought that the tuners on a Gibson were always metal... Maybe not...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-Electric-Guitar?sku=512001
green plastic tuning keys
theres a $5000 custom les paul
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Shop-1959-Les-Paul-Standard-VOS-Electric-Guitar?sku=517984
plastic tuning keys
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Last edited by bi-ah! at Jun 17, 2008,
it may be the real deal.............i just don't think i could buy a guitar i didn't get to play b4 i bought it. so many potential risks.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jun 17, 2008,
Looks real to me. Everyone just instantly suspects Gibsons of being fakes on eBay without actually really knowing. I've looked at the few obvious signs of a fake and it seems real.

Run the serial through Gibson and then use your own discression.

Seems like a normal seller just selling off an old guitar to me, not a faker.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by 7hunderstruck
I found a Gibson Les Paul Special SL on eBay with a starting bid of $350. I'm willing to go up to about $550

$550 is a long shot, there is probably no chance you can get it that low. The way ebay works is that the guitar probably has 50 watchers right now due to it's low starting bid. Once the auction heats up, that baby will soar. But hey, it's worth a shot, you could get a really good deal.

BTW It looks real to me.
It is real.
I know all the signs, it's fine.
500 would probably get outbid, unless this goes liek a sleeper auction...
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!