ive been playing for half of my life(8yrs) and i cant even play part of a song without messing up, and everything i play sounds like ****. and its not just guitar, anything i do i should be twice or 3x as good as i am.
Practice more. It's the only answer. We all go though phases where we see our playing as ****. I've been going through one for the last few months and I've been changing my technique, studying more theory in aims to improve so that I can reach a place where I'm happy with my playing. I'm not there yet but I can see improvement so I know that I have to keep trying.

You should too.
lol
Quote by _testament_
Go drink some fucking bleach, asshole.

Gear
Jackson RX10D - Fitted with a Bareknuckle Warpig
Ibanez SA36FM
Squire Strat
Marshall MG250DFX
Boss Metalzone

For Sale:

Kustom 10w amp
Various Daphon Pedals
your probably just too hard on yourself though. stop worrying so much and dont get discouraged. egg babey
Quote by jammy jam jam

anything i do i should be twice or 3x as good as i am.

Where do you get THAT from?! LOL. You're exactly where you should be, based
on what you've done up to this point.

You can't change your capabilities. So, there's no point worrying about it. But, you
CAN change your mind. Perhaps this is a wakeup call that whatever methods you've
used up to this point don't work very well? Maybe some research and a completely
new way of doing things is in order?
don't get down on yourself man.

remember the guitar is actually a deceptive instrument. anyone can strum a few chords, but when it comes to playing more complex stuff and actually having an expressive voice on the guitar you have to invest alot of mental and physical work.

if you don't practice regularly (and by practice i don't mean just play the guitar) then you probably should start. work on things that you cannot do yet. they will improve if you put the time and effort into it. without question.

don't sap your energy by saying "i should be better". honestly, says who? and further more, so what? as edg said, you are where you are, so motivate yourself, and stay positive.
WTF is wrong with you ? ...just jking
Stop tripping.

and ignore all the sons of bitches that tell you that you can't or discourage you.
For crying out loud... stop being a son of a bitch to yourself.

Damnmit...Micheal Jordan only shot 52%...
You know what the F the means ??? He missed half of the time.

wtf ?? 99% of kids your age don't even know what the hell they
want or have any type of drive, dicipline, commitment to be doing
anything for 8 years.

Have you ever thought of it like that before ???
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by ouchies
How long you play has no correlation as to how good you are. How well you practice does.

+1,000
If you described your practice technique we would be more able to help you. What kind of things do you practice? Do you use a metronome or guitar pro or tap your foot even or do you just play.

Don't panic identify whats wrong and go from there.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by edg
Where do you get THAT from?! LOL. You're exactly where you should be, based
on what you've done up to this point.

You can't change your capabilities. So, there's no point worrying about it. But, you
CAN change your mind. Perhaps this is a wakeup call that whatever methods you've
used up to this point don't work very well? Maybe some research and a completely
new way of doing things is in order?

you're probly right thanks

Quote by Ordinary
WTF is wrong with you ? ...just jking
Stop tripping.

and ignore all the sons of bitches that tell you that you can't or discourage you.
For crying out loud... stop being a son of a bitch to yourself.

Damnmit...Micheal Jordan only shot 52%...
You know what the F the means ??? He missed half of the time.

wtf ?? 99% of kids your age don't even know what the hell they
want or have any type of drive, dicipline, commitment to be doing
anything for 8 years.

Have you ever thought of it like that before ???

no i didn't. maybe ill set up a practice routine. thank you
try not really trying. sometimes i start thinking and it trips me up.

jym
Quote by ouchies
How long you play has no correlation as to how good you are. How well you practice does.

theres definitely a correlation
^ no it doesn't. i have a friend who's been playing guitar a little longer than me and he can't solo and his songs are never comprised of more than 4 or 5 powerchords. i can solo (or at least fake it good enough) and can write music that is comprised of MANY chords and key changes. why? because of what i learned and how i practiced.

edg is right on this one.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
+1,000
If you described your practice technique we would be more able to help you. What kind of things do you practice? Do you use a metronome or guitar pro or tap your foot even or do you just play.

Don't panic identify whats wrong and go from there.

well i dont practice much i just play songs. and this may sound weird but i don't know how to use a metronome
Quote by confusius
There is none, at all.

lol you are retarded . correlation doesn't indicate a CAUSE its just a relation. If you look at a group of people there is definitely going to be a large correlation between time practiced and skill level.
Last edited by Captain Garry at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by Captain Garry
your probably just too hard on yourself though. stop worrying so much and dont get discouraged. egg babey

Agreed.

Relax, let it come naturaly. Being uptight and stressed out about it will only make it worse.
the important thing is you shouldn't give a **** if you aren't "beating" anyone else in music. Its not a god damn competition, just chill out and put all your effort in without expectation. As long as you are very conscious of what you are doing, constantly try to learn and better yourself and most importantly never be afraid to admit your own flaws then you will inevitably make steady progress.
Quote by jammy jam jam
well i dont practice much i just play songs. and this may sound weird but i don't know how to use a metronome

This is probably your biggest problem you arent keeping time. If you can afford or somehow aquire guitar pro do it. If half of your life is 8 years then im guessing your in high school. You might want to take band class to work on timing and reading or find some kids at school that will play with you.

Play slowly and keep proper time! If you cant keep time slow down! Go back to basics and keep time on some easy stuff then work from there. Dont get discouraged just start working on that and you will see a huge inprovment. It may feel like your going back at first but your not.
thank you ^ ill try once again to get one of my friends to play something, haha. they are lame
lol you are retarded . correlation doesn't indicate a CAUSE its just a relation. If you look at a group of people there is definitely going to be a large correlation between time practiced and skill level.

You really need to stop calling people retarded when stating your point of view. It's not exactly what someone intelligent does, is it?

And time playing doesn't = the time practised.

I could have been playing 50 years and not have done squat, whilst there are kids that have been practising hard for a a year and are really good guitarist. Is time an indication of skill? No. Constant dedication is.
Don't worry bro. I bet there are tonnes of guitarists who would kill to be able to play like you. And playing guitar isn't about mastering it and impressing everybody you meet, it's about having fun and enjoying the riffs you piece together, even if they are a bit sketchy. So relax man and just keep on tryin, you'll get where you want to be sooner or later.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever." 1984.