I presently own a Randall RG75 G3 and I really like the crunchy metal tones I get out of it but I want to record on my pc and can either:

a.) Mic it and record.
b.) Sell it and buy a pod and record direct.

I live in an apartment and can't play loud and I'm wondering how loud I need to play with a 57 on axis and set as close as possible to the speaker cone to get a full sound. I don't want that far away room ambient crap sound.

Anyone have any success with getting decent tone at levels below that which you know would get you a visit from the cops if you were playing past 11 pm? I've seen some decent samples on youtube but none of the specs are listed. If anyone can provide samples with data on levels that would be great.
Depends on the gain ur applying to the mic. The sm57 is pretty sensitive when its facing directly at what ur recording...You wouldnt need the amp any louder than you usually do
Most folks agree that mic'ing and amp gives the best tones and allows your speaker dynamics to shine through. DI is the easiest route and provides a decent recording. If you mic your amp...may I suggest use if 2 mic's: One VERY close to cabinet one further away, and kinda off axis (experiement.) This will offer the least expensive, best full sound.

Oh, and you may want to move thread to recording for better responses.
Given the fact that you are in an apartment, get a POD and go direct.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
To clarify: I do know how to mic an amp and how to get good sound but the last time I did it was in a jam space where there were no volume restrictions. What I need to know is whether or not a sm57 will suffice at low volume for recording or if it is going to be weak in the mix.
Mic it, direct recording sounds awful.

I get sweet metal tone from the 57, and I angle it about an inch away from the speaker. You don't have to play too loud, just loud enough that your signal comes close to clipping but doesn't.
Quote by limpdogskip
Mic it, direct recording sounds awful.

I get sweet metal tone from the 57, and I angle it about an inch away from the speaker. You don't have to play too loud, just loud enough that your signal comes close to clipping but doesn't.

This guy, though sort of right, is wrong. DI'd recording does not sound bad, many big records have DI'd guitar tracks. And you can't get a "metal tone" from a mic. But, I'd say, put your 57 about 1/2" to 2" from the grill, half way between the centre of the cone and the edge, on a slight angle. The amp needs to be no louder than normal playing volumes, just the louder the better then tone, as with any valve amp. The bit about being close to clipping is totally wrong though - you want your signal no where near clipping so you have lots of head room for tweaking the recorded track.

But, don't be fooled into thinking that DI'd tracks won't sound good, they can definitely sound very good.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Quote by hairball
you can't get a "metal tone" from a mic.

*Cough*

I do agree that direct recording can sound GREAT (like here for example) but I say mic it.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by hairball
This guy, though sort of right, is wrong. DI'd recording does not sound bad, many big records have DI'd guitar tracks. And you can't get a "metal tone" from a mic.

... Huh? You can definately get a 'metal tone' from a mic. Arguably more so than DI.

Yeah, the POD's are sweet. So are many other multi-effect type products that can be used for recording. Shop around if thats the route you want to go.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Shouldnt be and issue all of my recordings are at like .5 or 1 on the volume. I just crank up the pre usb to match the volume im recording at and set my mics gain below there clipping threshold.
AHA! I've got 'er all figured out. I'm building an isolation box for my amp. I'll turn 'er up and mic 'er and let the metally goodness rip.
mic it IF (this is a huge if by the way) your not going straight into your soundcard. you will want at least a decent USB interface and a good preamp. if you dont, it will sound like fukcing $hit. pure fukcing $hit.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Nostrildamus
AHA! I've got 'er all figured out. I'm building an isolation box for my amp. I'll turn 'er up and mic 'er and let the metally goodness rip.

ive done that. you need a very big box or it sounds like, well it sounds like its in a box.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Unless you know exactly what you're doing building an iso box, you're recordings will sound exactly like they look. Boxy.

The Sm57 is a mic that needs a good ammount of preamp gain or input signal strength running it. Especially running it right into a computer, you will achieve less than satisfactory results. Computer mic inputs are for hi-z mic signals, the Sm57 puts out a lo-z signal, and will not do too good with a computers mic input.

For this situation, you may very much be better going with a POD. Yes, micing is the way to go for quality, but you also need a good room, good preamps, good converters, and a good ear for engineering for micing to be worth it.
Don't forget to prop the amp or iso box on a chair or something. Keeping it off the floor will stop the lower bass frequencies from resonating through the walls.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
if you're going so far as to build an iso box, it may also be worth looking into the speaker sim boxes like the palmer units or the motherload box. They are really well done speaker sims. If you look up Zorran on soundclick, he has a ton of stuff DI'd with a palmer box. I have a clip here that was done with Palmers cheapest unit, the PDI09, and a load box.

There are good cab sim plugins too now, look into "impulse response files".

If you do go the iso cab route, here is a pretty good one.
http://www.grendelsound.com/deadroom.htm
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids