So the other day my grandmother told me that she would pay for half of whatever amp I choose. I have about $350 right now, so I can go up to 700 (maybe a little more). I've been to a few stores, but I don't like anything I've heard. I play lead guitar in a metal band, so I need a lot of distortion and volume. The problem is that I don't know how to choose an amp, because I have not liked anything. Does anyone have a suggestion or tips for selecting an amp?

Thanks, everybody
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
pesonally i would suggest the marshall modefour. they dont make it anymore, but it screams. it dosent have any effects but it is like having 4 amps in 1. its all a matter of personal preference but i got mine 4 $1600.00 and i think it kills. i play mostly metal and this is definitely a metal amp. it is a solid state amp as opposed to tubes but that is also a matter of preference. it also has a solo channel that gives leads a killer boost. so that is my suggestion, i hope you found it helpful. good day.
so you gig and you play metal and i'm assuming you want new not used?

what have you played so far and what did you not like about them? are you playing thru with your own guitar (which is what?).

can you get by with a tube combo or do you NEED a half stack? oh, and what amp do you have now?

here is a start maybe - but i'm not an expert prolly in what you need:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tube-Combo-Amps-Combo-Amps3,Page-5.gc?o=2&ipp=15

i hear good things about the B-52s, Valvekings, Bugera?, Ampeg, etc - but maybe what you should do is look for a Peavey 6505, 5150, JSX etc in the used department or Craigslist.com.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
so you gig and you play metal and i'm assuming you want new not used?

what have you played so far and what did you not like about them? are you playing thru with your own guitar (which is what?).

can you get by with a tube combo or do you NEED a half stack? oh, and what amp do you have now?

to answer your questions -

I have played a few different VOX amps, none of which I liked. I played a Marshall MG, but it was actually terrible. I also played a Peavey Valveking, which I like the best out of everything. It was a $450 model, and I can spend more. The VOX sounded too digital/artificial like Roland's cube amps. I don't like that kind of sound. The Marshall was too heavy on the bass - it sounded thin. The Peavey was okay, it sounded fuller than the more expensive Marshall. FYI - I don't scoop my mids - I lay back on the bass. I played through my guitar, an Ibanez GRG170DX - it's a pretty cheap guitar, the pickups are pretty bad, but it it gets the job done. I don't need a half stack. I would consider either a combo or a half stack. Now I am playing through my friend's Fender Frontman which gives a good sound, but has TONS of feedback and hiss. At home I just play through a practice amp.

Everybody has been really helpful with your suggestions - thanks!
If used go for a peavy 6150 or 5150 or Jsx new go now a randall rg50tc Try B52 great amps
epi les pual custom
ad15vt > for sale
valve jr head and cab
bad monkey
Red3031 - well you may have found yourself a winner at $450. Valveking 112 is actually $400 but I'm not sure where you are. Maybe you were looking at the 212 which might be better for gigging but I doubt it.

I'm not a huge Valvetronix fan (assuming that is what you looked at) but there are plenty of people on here that love them. No need to talk about the MG anymore right?

If you are serious about the Valveking and would end up with say $300 extra then I would suggest using the extra cash for a new speaker and possibly new tubes. Not that the stock one's are bad, but I hear the amp gets way better after those swaps. I forgot if you said anything about pedal but you have some cash left over there too. I got the Digitech Bad Monkey after reading all the reviews and for $50 that thing really helps tighten up what I consider the muddiness of the amp.

I have the Valveking obviously and had the Frontman before that and I can tell you it is night and day.

Keep researching and rock on!
I guess it was the 112 I tried then. I don't remember the exact price, so you're probably right that its closer to 400. I'll see if I can try a 212.

Quote by sebisbest
If used go for a peavy 6150 or 5150 or Jsx new go now a randall rg50tc Try B52 great amps

does anyone have experience with these models?
The JSX is awesome, but it's way out of your budget.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦