I have trouble with playing only a few strings together. for example, if im playing a power chord, i can't just play the three strings involved; i play four or even five. this really screws up my playing. any tips on how to avoid this?
keep your first finger lightly over the other strings to mute them if you hit them
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 81TW/89
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat with Gibson P/Us
Line 6 Spider III half stack
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP50
you need to try and mute the other strings so they dont ring out, and you need to try and not hit them, play slowly and work your way up is the best method.
Three things:

Practice
Practice
PRACTICE!

Im not being pedantic, seriously, practice is the one and only way to improve upon these basic skills...muting the other strings (that you arent playing) helps.
Bowing down to disillusion, hats off and applause to Rogues and evolution - Incubus - Rogues
It's not so much about muting, just practice your accuracy. Find a speed at which you can hit the strings you want consistently and work at perfecting it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
its mr. seagull!!!!
what a lengend, i like your name thing "not really a seagull" thats ace haha
Quote by Boomjosh
its mr. seagull!!!!
what a lengend, i like your name thing "not really a seagull" thats ace haha

Looks like you have a fan club SS
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
thanks for the help. i've already been muting the other strings, but i didn't think that was the right thing to do. i suppose i'm going to have to do the one thing i haven't yet tried: practising!
Quote by thegandhimancan
thanks for the help. i've already been muting the other strings, but i didn't think that was the right thing to do. i suppose i'm going to have to do the one thing i haven't yet tried: practising!

The RIGHT right thing to do is not to hit the strings, achieved by practise.

But once you've practised, in reality you still want the extra insurance provided by muting, as you are probably not Petrucci (not right away at least) and will probably hit the wrong string on occasion.
I agree with everyone, practice is important, so is practicing correctly. Don't just make a mad dash at the strings, think about your entry point and your exit point. Think about your attack sweeping in across the first string and sweeping out on the last. Think about how your hand feels when it is positioned correctly over the strings. Slow down until you can strick them accurately. Rinse and repeat.