I've just purchased a Laney VH100R head. Now I need a cabinet for it.

I'm not sure if I need a 4x12 or 2x12, or if that matters. The head can do 1x16 ohm, 2x16 ohm, 1x8ohm, 2x8ohm. Again, I'm not entirely sure about the meaning of that.

I also want to know what type of speakers should be in the cab. I always hear people talking about Celestion Vintage 30s, but also recommending Vader cabs, which use Eminence speakers. What are the pros or cons of some common speaker types?

If style of music is important for this, I play a lot of metal, tuned D standard or Drop C. Bands such as All that Remains, Death, Opeth, Protest the Hero, System of a Down, Trivium. However, I do also play lower gain music like Weezer and The Pixies.

I'd probably be buying used, as my money is somewhat limited. I'd prefer to spend under $300 if possible, but if its worth the extra cash for the increase in quality, or not feasible to spend that little, I suppose I could wait for a bit.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
You can snag a new avatar 212 for ~300. Go check out their site.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by mogar
You can snag a new avatar 212 for ~300. Go check out their site.

I've seen their site, but I didnt know what to go for, because they offer different speaker types, which I dont really know anything about. What is the difference between a 2x12 cab and 4x12, in regards to sound and volume?
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Last edited by Ackj at Jun 18, 2008,
My friend suggested Eminence Legend 125s. Does anyone know about these speakers? Will they work well with my amp head and give me good high-gain tone as well as cleans?
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
More speakers moving more air results in a perceived "bigger" sound, but tone-wise there is not much difference between a 212 and a 412 if they are made of the same materials and contain the same speakers.

I haven't tried the 125's, so I can't comment on those. The celestion v30's that come in the avatar 212's will sound great with that Laney though.

Also, make sure to get a closed back cab. They have much better low-end than an open back cab.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar