The Vintage Modified is praised highly around here, at least for the money. I haven't played one, but the specs aren't half bad for that price. I have played standards, and they leave much to be desired, so I can't really recommend one of those.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
The VM series in general pretty set the standard in beginner/budget basses when they came out. There really isn't a better bass you can get in that price range. I wish they had them when I started, I would have bought one in a heartbeat.

Can't really say much about the other Squiers, but in my experience, and like the above poster said, they leave much to be desired. Not bad per se, but definitely not int he league of the VMs.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
My first bass was a standard and it wasnt bad but squires can be a bit hit and miss. the vintage modified is alot better though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
i dont like either. squiers are basses for followers. overglorified, overpublicized, and pieces of sh*t.
Quote by wejammin
i dont like either. squiers are basses for followers. overglorified, overpublicized, and pieces of sh*t.

? Squiers are better than Rogue SX and many of the other starting basses.
Quote by wejammin

You don't like either...? Do you mean ether? I don't like ether either, but I'm not habitually drug into the back of a '69 Nova and raped repetively.

Overglorified, really? How many people here, or on the forums say, "Hey I think Squiers are the bestes bass ever, I'm going to through my Fender away right now for one!!

Overpublicized....! Whens the last time you saw a Squier add up there on the top buddy! Or turned on your T.v and saw a Squier commercial, or do you go to the Squier parade today! Oh wait there's not one...

And a piece of Sh*t really, wow, you sir have never played a squier have you? Mines 4years old and sounds just as good as the day I bought it. What your doing is called trolling and I would prefer if you kept that in the pit or guitar forum.

*Warned*
Quote by wejammin
yes sir. sorry sir. still sound terrible sir.

they sound fine, IMO. what would you suggest he get?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom