Quote by DiMarzio.com
We originally created the HS-3™ to be a warmer bridge-position companion to the HS-2™. Yngwie Malmsteen adopted it for his standard neck and bridge pickup, and almost overnight the HS-3™ acquired the reputation of being a high-powered metal pickup. This isn’t really the case—the HS-3™ is actually a smooth and relatively quiet pickup that produces a sweet overdrive tone without jagged edges. What Yngwie discovered is that these qualities combine perfectly with a heavily distorted amp, because the sound won’t get muddy or messy. The HS-3™ is also versatile—it’s a noise-free pickup in a live situation or in the studio.
Recommended For: All positions.
Tech Talk: Works well in all 3 positions on a Strat for a slightly warmer-than-usual Strat sound. Also works well as a bridge pickup with YJM™ (neck) and HS-2™ (middle). Combines in middle and neck positions with bridge humbuckers like PAF Pro®, PAF®, Air Classic™ and Norton®."

This HS-3 has been in the bridge position of my strat since I got it a few months ago, and it has to be said that its a fantastic pickup, especially through a DOD-250 or DOD-YJM308 perfect for Yngwie soloing! we can wish right? because as mentionned before it is the choice bridge pickup of none other than Yngwie Malmsteen!!

But I'm upgrading my strat to a HSH/possibly HHH arrangement and the HS-3 isn't right for the job!

These are very rare in the UK, as DiMarzio only have a custom shop over here..so if you are lucky enough to find one outside of the US you should snap it up! because somebody else will if you don't! They usually retail upwards from £60 with online sellers.

The pickup is in mint condition and has plenty of wire left (4 conductor currently wired as hum cancelling) theres plenty of info on the dimarzio website on how to wire it, and recommended suggestions.

I'm looking to sell for about £45 (inc P&P to UK) but If anyone knows me, they'll know im interested in effect pedals of any type so make me an offer!

EDIT: would consider trading HS-3+cash for DiMarzio Evolution or EVO2 humbucker
Last edited by Entrant_21 at Jun 17, 2008,
im intrested, but i dont fully understand the wiring stuff on dimarzio's site, how hard is it to install? does this de-value the strat aswell?
Quote by JamesGale
im intrested, but i dont fully understand the wiring stuff on dimarzio's site, how hard is it to install? does this de-value the strat aswell?

It's pretty easy to wire and all, whenever you see the pickup its much easier, the wires are all colour coded! But if you wish to have it wired the same as yngwies hum cancelling setup (which its currently set up as) you just need to solder 2 wires which I can label for you if you want?
A change to a better pickup wont devalue the strat, as its an upgrade to it. And this pickup is certainly a great upgrade!

Any more questions?
do u reckon i culd get the ygnwie tone wid a jcm 2000 amp through the pickup on my usa strat?
Id say if you crank your marshall and experiment with different settings (i think yngwie goes for about B-3 M-4 T-5 but he also uses a treble boost overdrive to the amp so you could set the treble a bit higher unless you have a dod 250 or yjm308) and a delay pedal set really short you probably get close to it!
bring it down to £30, and you got yrself a deal. I could however send two sets of quality earphones your way to make up for the £10.
Quote by CobbZ
bring it down to £30, and you got yrself a deal. I could however send two sets of quality earphones your way to make up for the £10.

Nah im good for earphones..£30 is too low an offer

would consider a swap for a nice maple strat neck.
what sound difference would there be at low volume? if i'm convinced that it will sound better by a considerable margin for it to be worth the hassle of soldering and installation that i no nothing about, then ill buy :P And also if you could mark it for me if i am going to buy as which to solder then that would be cool.

Cheerz
Would it help getting that gilmourish tone, coz i no he got a dimarzio in 76'?
Quote by JamesGale
Would it help getting that gilmourish tone, coz i no he got a dimarzio in 76'?

Depends what era you're going for he uses EMGs now I think. but its a very well balanced pickup, sounded great when I used to know the comfortably numb solo. you still interested?
the second one? :P yer i no i meant the solo tones on the wall and animals, but yer im intrested i just wanna no how much of a difference it will make?
Quote by JamesGale
the second one? :P yer i no i meant the solo tones on the wall and animals, but yer im intrested i just wanna no how much of a difference it will make?

I actually learned quite a bit of the 2nd solo but then I moved on to something else..likely distractied by something shiny
I'd say its a good pickup for what you're after, but you'll probably need an overdrive pedal before the amp but if you dotn have one and you're willing to crank it up quite a bit you'll get around the same tone! Has your amp got a master volume?
No the JCM just has two individual volumes, but i do have a ibanez ts which i put in before the amp.
great! that would work perfectly! but remember you might get the tone right but you need to have the playing to go with it! not saying youre bad or anything im just saying you need to have good control to play like gilmour! you interested?