So I'm thinking about getting myself a Warwick bass after the summer and figured I might check some of their basses. I noticed that the electronics on most of them (if not all of them) were active and that there is a compartment for the batteries to go into.

I'm a little confused by it. Anyone with a Warwick bass who knows anything about this? Does it run through batteries a lot (I play about 30 minutes to an hour per day)? Can it run without batteries? Etcetera, any information that might be useful for me would be appreciated

Regards,
If you have passive pickups, but an active preamp, you can play without batteries. You can't if it has active pickups.

However, I have had my Warwick for 6 months now and haven't had to change the batteries yet.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
If you have passive pickups, but an active preamp, you can play without batteries. You can't if it has active pickups.

However, I have had my Warwick for 6 months now and haven't had to change the batteries yet.

Well you shouldn't have to, batteries for active electronics last for years, unless you leave them plugged in.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Depends how much you play. At 30 mins a day, a year or so would not be unexpected. However, if you play 3/4 hours a day, it may only last 4-6 months.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by ChemicalFire
Well you shouldn't have to, batteries for active electronics last for years, unless you leave them plugged in.

Yeah, once you finish playing unplug it or else it is going to drain the batteries.
My Warwick battery is still good since I bought it. But mine has EMGs :O No preamp.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Hey Psychologic - didn't you just come in chat for a minute?

My active basses get through a battery every 6 to 12 months. Unless there's an active/passive switch, when the battery dies you won't get sound. The batteries don't suddenly die - you'll just notice your bass is quieter than it should be and then change it.
Warwicks with a preamp have active/passive switches.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Warwicks with a preamp have active/passive switches.
How handy...you don't get that on Ibanez
Quote by smb
Hey Psychologic - didn't you just come in chat for a minute?

My active basses get through a battery every 6 to 12 months. Unless there's an active/passive switch, when the battery dies you won't get sound. The batteries don't suddenly die - you'll just notice your bass is quieter than it should be and then change it.

Yeah I did. Thanks for all the replies, I know now that I should spend some of my budget on batteries too. By the by, any idea what kind of batteries? The small singles or the blocks of batteries?
Quote by Psychologic
Yeah I did. Thanks for all the replies, I know now that I should spend some of my budget on batteries too. By the by, any idea what kind of batteries? The small singles or the blocks of batteries?

9 volt batteries (D-size)
You'll need one or two, depending on the preamp. Some require 9v and some require 18v.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
For some reason, I heard somewhere that a Warwick won't even run in passive mode with dead batteries. Could be a rumour.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
as have been said already the baterries do not usually wear down.

i have had a standard corvette 4 [lefthanded totally unrelated] string for literally years almost 4 to be exact and have yet to change the batteries. similarily i have had a corvette $$ 5 string [also lefthanded haha] for almost 2 now and same old story.

the very neat thing of both my basses is they are 'hybridds' meaning there is a master volume pot which can be pulled up and switches the bass from active ie. using the battery and onboard eq to passive.

kind of a neat feature, but totally redundant since i bought these two for a solid hevay reliable 4 and 5 string active bass afterplaying my friends active esp 30th anniversary upside down.

the store assuming its not being bought online, and or the distributer would probably be able to answer any questions to the fullest versus anyones opinion on the boards here though.
Quote by thefitz
For some reason, I heard somewhere that a Warwick won't even run in passive mode with dead batteries. Could be a rumour.

Only if the pickups are active as well. Otherwise, the preamp is bypassed.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1