I recently had a shop change the strings on my acoustic guitar because, quite honestly, I am awful at it, and I needed and entirely new set (which I did not own myself). I was pleased with the job, though I did notice that whenever I would vibrato around the seventh fret or lower of the D-string there was a metallic sound. It wasn't from the string, but something on the guitar. A couple of months have passed, and until today I had been unable to realize what it was.

I really wish I had pictures to show, but alas, I do not. On the part of the machine head of my D-string that holds the string itself I've noticed that a thin nut that helps to keep this part still has crept out of place and towards the top of this peg. As a result, a metal ring that seems to play no part other than that of a buffer between the bolt and wood can spin around. My concern, though, is that this peg seems to be somewhat leaning in towards the neck, as opposed to straight out.

At the moment this lean isn't very distinct, but I'm concerned that this will, eventually, lead to a drastic problem.

However, I am not an expert of these sorts of things, so I'm hoping someone on UG is more experienced with such problems.

Thanks.

This, obviously, is not my guitar, but this should at least be a somewhat helpful aid.

So the bolt at the bottom has crept up about an eight of an inch of so above where it should be, and is stuck in its current position. The peg itself is leaning very slightly towards the neck, as opposed to straight out as it is in this picture.
take it to a shop and ask about it even if you dont know if theyll help you, at least youll get some proffessional advice. id try and figure out how to fix it myself. shops tend to rip you off with set up and repairs
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
Was the peg bent like that before you brought it in to the shop?

I would bring it back to them if they were the ones who bent it.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
It's not exactly "bent", but slightly leaning, and no, I don't recall it being like that before I brought it in. The bolt definitely was not in that position, though.

The problem is that I can't easily tell how much it might be leaning, if it is at all, because the bolt makes the lean look better or worse depending upon the angle.

Unless I am able to figure out otherwise, I will probably bring it in to a shop so that it may be inspected.
it's hard to tell without pictures, but it sounds like the tuning peg has just come a little loose. on the back of the headstock you will see screws that hold the tuning peg in place. my guess is that you just need to tighten them up a little.
I think I'm reading you correctly. The little nut, which you mistakenly call a "bolt" a few times, is what actually holds the tuning maching to the headstock. The beauty ring below it is just that, but also is there to keep the nut from gouging out the wood of the headstock as it's tightened down. Now to fix, it's very simple. Releive all tension on the D string until slack. You should now be able to right the tilt of the tuning machine by first tightening the nut back down. If the nut seems jammed in place on the tuner post, remove it first, then rethread it on straight. Hopefully the threads aren't stripped. On my Alvarez, it takes a 10 mm open end wrench. Snug the nut down, but don't overtighten as that beauty ring will tend to work it's way down into the wood if you overdo it. Next then is to find a small tip phillips screwdriver and snug up the little screw on the backside of the tuning machine. Once you're satisfied that it's all tightened up, tune up the D string again, paying close attention to the tuning machine to make sure it stay's put.
This is a normal part of the routine maintenance I perform on any acoustic I work on each time I change strings. A guitar vibrates after all, and all of those "good vibrations" can tend to loosen up the little nuts and screws after a time.