Bored with the red (and the guitar itself). I wanna strip the paint and what not and just have wood. I dont want to buy an airbrush to laquer it either. I just want a smooth natural look. Heres what I have in mind
1)Remove hardware
2)Strip to bare wood on whole guitar except top of headstock
3)Apply Tung Oil to all exposed wood.

Here are my questions.
1)Did I cover everything?
2)How much and how often do I apply the Tung Oil
3)Do I just wipe it om?
4)What should I do about the top of the head where it is black and says "Epiphone SG Special" (no flaming, saving up for new guitar)
5)Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks in advance
Hello
Quote by MXBoy11
4)What should I do about the top of the head where it is black and says "Epiphone SG Special" (no flaming, saving up for new guitar)

Don't feel ashamed of what you play. If others don't like it then screw them. If they let you anyway. If you think the SG plays, sounds and feels good to you then don't justify that you're getting a new guitar.

Anyway. Yeah, that all sounds like it would work to me! Can you see the grain as it is on the guitar, or will it be a lovely surprise?
that'd look sick.
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Don't feel ashamed of what you play. If others don't like it then screw them. If they let you anyway. If you think the SG plays, sounds and feels good to you then don't justify that you're getting a new guitar.

Anyway. Yeah, that all sounds like it would work to me! Can you see the grain as it is on the guitar, or will it be a lovely surprise?

I have grown to like the feel seing that my hands are growing. The sound is weak but I think that is just my amp. I was planning on getting a Thinline Telecaster 72' but I rebuilt my new dirtbike instead

As far as the grain, I can barely see it, but if it does turn out bad, who cares...gives it character ya know
Hello
If you just oil the wood, and dont want to continually oil it, apply some sort of sealent over it. Traps the look, and makes it glossy (- glossy depends on what you use for the sealent).
Quote by Lamont

i once dreamt my wallet was on a helicopter and i chased after it. and eventually i pulled my dick out and lassoed the bottom of the copter and pulled it out of the sky. i woke up screaming
Quote by Vinnie9
If you just oil the wood, and dont want to continually oil it, apply some sort of sealent over it. Traps the look, and makes it glossy (- glossy depends on what you use for the sealent).

Yeah, thats the thing, I dont want glossy. I want that matte look and feel.
Few more questions:
1)IS there any special procedure for the neck?
2)How often would I have top oil it if I didnt seal it
3)How hard is sealing and what sealer should I use

I know these are alot of questions but I wanna do it right b/c this is my only guitar
Hello
I'm pretty sure those guitars have plywood bodies. Plywood won't look too good with a natural finish, what with the plys and all.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
they do have plywood bodys...mines soon to be replaced by my build, but till then i raised the action and tuned it to open E to use with slide.....visual mods on the special are almost useless (plywood...), but try somthing simple like that or just wait till u get a new guitar.....

EDIT: and also, be careful with tung oil. it turns the wood green. go with tru-oil or some other mixture of tung oil, cause pure tung oil=bad news.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Jun 17, 2008,
Which Epiphone SG model is this?

Be aware that the body probably won't be a one-piece - you may have 2-4 blanks stuck together, which wouldn't look great with a natural finish, and they definitely won't be bookmatched.
Quote by MXBoy11
Bored with the red (and the guitar itself). I wanna strip the paint and what not and just have wood. I dont want to buy an airbrush to laquer it either. I just want a smooth natural look. Heres what I have in mind
1)Remove hardware
2)Strip to bare wood on whole guitar except top of headstock
3)Apply Tung Oil to all exposed wood.

Here are my questions.
1)Did I cover everything?
2)How much and how often do I apply the Tung Oil
3)Do I just wipe it om?
5)Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks in advance

i think that should tell us what model... and its not two to four pieces...its plywood.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Yep, I just took off the neck and it is plywood. I am dissaointed, but whatever. It was my first guitar. I said which model it is. "Where the headstocks says Epiphone SG Special"
Hello
^yeah, it was my first guitar too, good as a starter, but i got a gibson to replace it as it really started to tick me off.....just get ur new guitar and hope for the best..
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
^yeah, it was my first guitar too, good as a starter, but i got a gibson to replace it as it really started to tick me off.....just get ur new guitar and hope for the best..

Sweet. I was so close to getting a Thinline Tele and Peavey Classic 30 Tube amp (or Palomino 50watt) but I decided to rebuild my new dirtbike seeing that riding season has started and I have a birthday coming up. I just have too many things to buy these days. It is overwhelming
Hello
Meh, I'm half asleep.

How about this...

Sand the whole thing down by 10mm, then glue a flamed maple cap onto it, then do a burst on that?

You could sand the headstock back, then either put a veneer on it, or just respray it.
Yeah, I was planning on doing that, but now that I know that it is plywood the endgrain will be ridiculous
Hello
plywood sucks......
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
^the necks maple/rosewood, and (at least mine) actually plays fairly well compared to the rest of the guitar...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by -MintSauce-
Well.. what's the neck made out of?

I know it would technically not be the same guitar, but how about using the opportunity to make a new SG body?

Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking. I have been looking to make a guitar, but am hesitant b.c of the necks. I am handy with a router, and have good wood-working skills. It would definately be nice because the neck pocket on this body is really sloppy. No matter how tight the screws are, I can still feel it shift around alot.
Hello