Now, the title of this thread may turn away many people... but lemme start off by saying that this is one of the most useful strat mods out there.

Basically, you follow this wiring diagram:

(not mine by the way)
The only things you have to buy are the two switches: one SPDT, and one DPDT.
Now what this mod does is it allows you to wire either your bridge and middle pups in series or your neck and middle pups in series to create humbucker-like tones. The DPDT ends up being an on/off switch while the SPDT switches between a neck humbucker tone and a bridge humbucker tone.

Now, it doesn't make your strat sound exactly like an LP, but it does add two very useful tones to the 5 already existing tones. And hell, for 5 bucks, could you afford NOT to do it?

Here are some pics of my finished mod:

Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
i can see this to be quite usefull.

gewd mod
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
that's cool. i already have humbuckers, but cool idea
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
BTW, I forgot to add, you're also gonna need a soldering iron, some solder, and a drill (pretty obviously). I didn't mention them because I figured most people on the GB&C forum already had them.

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76

Best theory lesson EVER!
I have a bridge-on switch in my Strat via a push pull pot, for neck/bridge and all 3 on options.
I couldn't cause a short by doing this mod, could I?

Because I think, in theory.. if I have the neck/bridge on, and your mods.. I could either blow my ****ing hands off, or get some SWEET tones
Opinions?

EDIT: neck/bridge and all 3 on in parallel
Last edited by Zeppelin_1223 at Jun 17, 2008,
Well, if you did that, you might have to go through a different wiring scheme or not. It all depends on how that bridge-on switch is wired into your guitar.

If you did manage to wire the bridge-on switch into the circuit, the tones you would get would all depend on the position of the SPDT. I suppose if you selected the neck 'bucker position, you'd end up with a combination of that tone and the bridge single coil. If the bridge 'bucker position is selected, I figure it 'll just sound normal. Now if all three pups were wired in series, THAT would be something.

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by firebreath07
Well, if you did that, you might have to go through a different wiring scheme or not. It all depends on how that bridge-on switch is wired into your guitar.

If you did manage to wire the bridge-on switch into the circuit, the tones you would get would all depend on the position of the SPDT. I suppose if you selected the neck 'bucker position, you'd end up with a combination of that tone and the bridge single coil. If the bridge 'bucker position is selected, I figure it 'll just sound normal. Now if all three pups were wired in series, THAT would be something.

I'm telling you dude, I'm SO tempted to try it
EDIT: Wait, if I didn't have the push pull pot selected (pushed down) the strat would be totally normal, therefore possible to use this mod.. just MAYBE not at the same time.. I think.. lol
Could some one please explain that diagram to me in Lamens terms. Just where to solder the wires, which pups. I hate those diagrams to hell, also, whats the difference between a SPDT
and an DPDT? Sorry to noob all over this thread....
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Could some one please explain that diagram to me in Lamens terms. Just where to solder the wires, which pups. I hate those diagrams to hell, also, whats the difference between a SPDT

It's okay dude LOADS of people don't understand half this stuff (I'm one of them).. I'll add labels to the diagram if you give me a sec.
OzarkMDaredevil:

Jumper=Solder

EDIT: Pretty sure that's right, I might have overlooked something..

Anyone else wanna clarify?

EDIT2: ****... S1=SPDT
S2=DPDT
Attachments:
Super Strat Switches.jpg
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil

The thin blue lines illustrate the path of the current. If you follow the lines, you can see that the current from the neck pup "joins" the current from the middle pup and then the combined current goes out.

EDIT: Zeppelin's illustration shows exactly what you should solder. You're gonna need fair amount of fine wire to complete the circuit, so be sure to snatch some of that up when you go buy the switches. It has to be insulated! And lastly, if you plan to complete this mod, I would recommend that you get some small switches. There's not that much room inside the guitar; I was barely able to fit my switches between the 5-way selector and the pots.

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76

Best theory lesson EVER!
Last edited by firebreath07 at Jun 17, 2008,
i did a similar one that enabled me to get that bb-king out of phase tone, thats pretty cool
lol@u
^^
Thanks, glad to see I know a little bit about electronics

yeah, i forgot to mention that, you need a high gauge of wire *using the AWG*.. can't think of one off the top of my head, so just go check some out and what'll work best (Higher gauge= thinner wire)

EDIT: That was to firebreath07, not Blues_King431 (But kick ass mod Blues_King )
haha, i would actually suggest using a thicker gauge (less resistance) just don't go ridiculous, use 22 AWG, thats what i usually use
lol@u
Quote by Blues_King431
haha, i would actually suggest using a thicker gauge (less resistance) just don't go ridiculous, use 22 AWG, thats what i usually use

Yup, that's what I pretty much always use, unless it's a really tight area where it won't fit (Yes, I worded that so sexually on purpose, in case you're wondering.)

I meant "High gauge" considering the gages go up to (suprise!) One, which is as thick as my fingers (possibly more lol)
haha, solid core 1 AWG wire would be great, just a rod of copper

i usually have to strip back the insulation if it won't fit (worded that sexually on purpose too)
lol@u
Quote by Blues_King431

i usually have to strip back the insulation if it won't fit (worded that sexually on purpose too)

haha

I saw it coming (xD) and I still laughed

haha
haha,

you could make a really racist joke about circumcision involving rabbis and wire strippers, but i won't

anyone who reports me for that needs to lighten up, bigtime.
lol@u
Quote by Blues_King431
haha,

you could make a really racist joke about circumcision involving rabbis and wire strippers, but i won't

anyone who reports me for that needs to lighten up, bigtime.

*repo....*

Nevermind, I laughed, I'm going to hell anyway
This already existed! Search for Strat LP Mod!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
OzarkMDaredevil
Yes, those diagrams can be a bit confusing. If you want to see the original drawing just go here: http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/randomhero/index.php
If you want to see that modification demonstrated, here's a YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUMNwkoalKA
He takes a while to show off the "humbucking" sounds, so just scroll past the first minute or so if you wish.
Heck, here is my own strat modification: http://www.1728.com/guitar2.htm
It requires five switches, but gives you a lot of tone options (even all 3 coils in series as someone mentioned).
Nifty.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Jimplaysguitar actually did up a diagram for me a while back that was kinda similar to this. Definitely not $5 though...

...2 p/p pots and a super switch, but it gives you the option to switch positions 2 & 4 between series and parallel.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Last edited by jm1681 at Jun 18, 2008,