I made a thread specifically about the blues scale, but this is in general. So is it ok to use legato to make a section easier even if I'm specifically alt picking? This is a scale I'm talking about, I'll have to use legato everytime I play it at any speed. For instance, strictly alternate picking, my max speed is 16ths at 126 bpm, but by adding just a single pulloff, I can cleanly play 16ths at up to 164 bpm. Yet this is a habit I'll grow into and use for life most likely, so is it not practical, should I just spend more time getting it up to speed?
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Speed comes with practice. Nothings "ok." Everyone has here own styles. For some people it might be easier.
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
look at the picking pattern and think about why that happens. obviously it makes you alter your pattern to something your uncomfortable with......... so take that altered pattern and make an etude out of it if you want to get rid of that pulloff. many players do not use strict alternate all the time though. Its a preference, frank gamble uses economy picking pretty much 100% of the time and that guy is incredibly fast. same with picking/legato alternation, allan holdsworth is the master of that technique and hes incredible. it all depends on the sound you want..... so think about that and take a style that suits you.
paul gilbert does that. but he chooses to do it for the sound not the technique.
I find it's easier to use Economy Picking. Besides it's really useful in just about everything else too.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
Just practice playing fast exercises. Alt. picking 16ths at 126 bpm tops is def. not a good record, you gotta improve. Sure, legato speeds things up but a healthy balance of playing both alt. picking and legato at high speeds is good for any player. But if that's your style, stick to it. No one has to play fast. If 16ths at 126 bpm for AP is good for you, it's good. I spent years getting my chops up to speed. I can 32ths at 120 bpm and 16ths and triplets at up to 200 bpm (im a metal player). Legato, even faster. Just practice. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect makes perfect (as my jazz teacher used to tell me). If you want to improve your speed whether legato or alt. picking, check Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock videos.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Why are you so bothered about how fast you can play a scale? Is there a prize?

Don't practise for the sake of practising, practise with a view to becoming a good guitarist and that means making sure that what you focus on has some practical benefit. Chasing BPM on a straight scale pattern is nigh-on worthless, it's not going to contribute much of anything to your playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by mydogpoops
I made a thread specifically about the blues scale, but this is in general. So is it ok to use legato to make a section easier even if I'm specifically alt picking? This is a scale I'm talking about, I'll have to use legato everytime I play it at any speed. For instance, strictly alternate picking, my max speed is 16ths at 126 bpm, but by adding just a single pulloff, I can cleanly play 16ths at up to 164 bpm. Yet this is a habit I'll grow into and use for life most likely, so is it not practical, should I just spend more time getting it up to speed?

keep in mind legato isn't for the purpose of making things easier. Its just a different way to articulate.

Quote by steven seagull
Why are you so bothered about how fast you can play a scale? Is there a prize?

Don't practise for the sake of practising, practise with a view to becoming a good guitarist and that means making sure that what you focus on has some practical benefit. Chasing BPM on a straight scale pattern is nigh-on worthless, it's not going to contribute much of anything to your playing.

+ 10000000000 to that

alot of people have the misconception that if something is "strictly alternate picked" that it is somehow a higher level of playing. its actually just 1 of many ways to articulate notes on the guitar. Get past it and learn that they all have their place.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 17, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Stock quote: Make alternate pick your bitch; it is vital to fast guitar playing.

no its not.

its vital for alternate picking. You can play fast with legato, economy picking.....ect.

Its just 1 way of many ways you can play notes on the guitar.

Work on it if the music you want to play requires it.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Kindly ignore Munky on this. Alternate picking is vital.

dont tell people to ignore me. I may not agree with you on alot of things, but at least Ill say why, and present a valid point. I dont tell people to ignore you.

What you said isnt true. (that alternate picking is essential for "fast playing").

what I said is. ( that alternate picking is essential for playing alternate picked guitar parts & that You can play incredibly fast without alternate picking)
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
dont tell people to ignore me. I may not agree with you on alot of things, but at least Ill say why, and present a valid point. I dont tell people to ignore you.

What you said isnt true. (that alternate picking is essential for "fast playing").

what I said is. ( that alternate picking is essential for playing alternate picked guitar parts & that You can play incredibly fast without alternate picking)

im pretty sure that he/she was being sarcastic my friend
Quote by RCalisto
im pretty sure that he/she was being sarcastic my friend

Na, it wasn't sarcasm.
shred is gaudy music
Whether or not you use alternate picking for fast playing, you still need a solid alternate picking foundation. It is not the only way to play notes, but it is neccisary to understand it and know when to use it.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Iron_Dude
Whether or not you use alternate picking for fast playing, you still need a solid alternate picking foundation.
Yup.

To clarify, no sarcasm.

Basically everything relies on some alternate picking, and a lot of things rely on a lot of it, so get become proficient at the technique.
Here we go again with the arguing.

Legato IS mainly for articulation rather than making things easier. It's for smoothness. However, perfecting your picking technique whether alternate or economy (which I consider a variation on alternate) is important if your goal is to play fast (and clean). So pretty much, just keep practicing.
Quote by steven seagull

Don't practise for the sake of practising, practise with a view to becoming a good guitarist and that means making sure that what you focus on has some practical benefit.

Yeah, but do you know everything that's going to have a practical benefit ahead of
time, or discover things as you go along? I make it a point to practice some things
I have no idea I'll end up using. Just for the hell of it. It might not lead anywhere,
but it just might lead to something you weren't aware of when you first practiced
it.

But, I'd agree, when your only metric is how fast you can play a scale, you're not
going to get a lot of benefit to your overall playing that way.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Yup.

To clarify, no sarcasm.

Basically everything relies on some alternate picking, and a lot of things rely on a lot of it, so get become proficient at the technique.

There are plenty of songs that don't rely on alternate picking.

alternate picking is a commonly used technique and I would certainly encourage working on it, but its important to see it for what it is. Its one of many techniques for playing notes on the guitar.
shred is gaudy music
I'm practicing it so that I can play licks in that scale when I'm improvising. And besides, its not like it'll harm me, my goal is to master the playing style of EVH and Randy Rhoads while also becoming a competent guitarist in a variety of styles. Then build on that from there
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

If you want to play like those two, then you should focus more on alternate picking than anything else. EVH used a lot of legato too, so be sure to work on your left hand technique as well.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Iron_Dude
If you want to play like those two, then you should focus more on alternate picking than anything else. EVH used a lot of legato too, so be sure to work on your left hand technique as well.

Just a quick point. EVH and Randy Rhoads really didnt alternate pick that much in their solos. They did on occasion, a majority of the solos incorporate a mixure of legato & picking.

I agree though that you should work on alternate picking, and anything else that interests you.

I would highly recommend learning some solos you like. Then you can really get a perspective on how they applied the technique.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by mydogpoops
I'm practicing it so that I can play licks in that scale when I'm improvising. And besides, its not like it'll harm me, my goal is to master the playing style of EVH and Randy Rhoads while also becoming a competent guitarist in a variety of styles. Then build on that from there

No it won't harm you. But, I'd rather use it because I want to, rather than use it
because I can't pick fast enough (although maybe I can't!). Alternate, economy
and legato -- all sound different. You can really hear it.
Sure it's "okay" to mix picking and legato, and here's a good way of looking at it.

Paul Gilbert would say that picked notes are like consonants and legato notes are like vowels, too much of one or the other makes for boring words.

Simple put, the contrast makes your lines more interesting.
Quote by Freepower
Sure it's "okay" to mix picking and legato, and here's a good way of looking at it.

Paul Gilbert would say that picked notes are like consonants and legato notes are like vowels, too much of one or the other makes for boring words.

Simple put, the contrast makes your lines more interesting.

+1 to paul gilbert and freepower.
Quote by Freepower
picked notes are like consonants and legato notes are like vowels, too much of one or the other makes for boring words.

I generally agree, but would point out that Paul Gilbert often plays "consonant" only solos & licks, where guys like Allan Holdsworth play alot of "vowel" only solos/licks.

but realizing what the different ways of articulating notes on the guitar offers us is very important.

Quote by edg
I'd rather use it because I want to, rather than use it
because I can't pick fast enough (although maybe I can't!). Alternate, economy
and legato -- all sound different. You can really hear it.

exactly. Thats they key: they sound different and offer us a variety of ways to articulate the notes.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 18, 2008,