Hi guys, what is an amp head? What does it do? Can I use it by itself?
A head is the amp itself actually. It contains the poweramp and preamp en sometimes effects. A combo is a head and speakerbox in one and you can't use a head by itself, it won't produce any sound and you'll fry it. You have to buy a cabinet (speakerbox) with it
the guy above me is right. though some heads have an headphone output so you can still get some sound out of it.
EDIT: just an example of an amp head:

A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Farether
the guy above me is right. though some heads have an headphone output so you can still get some sound out of it.

I have never heard of a head with a headphone out, where did you find such a thing?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I have never heard of a head with a headphone out, where did you find such a thing?

You could put a 1/4">1/8" jack in the line out and plug headphones into that... you'd still need a dummy load, though.
My head has one.
so has this one:

click
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
But you should ALWAYS have a cab conneted, without one, you can FRY the head!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Unless you have an awesome f-series mesa and it has a speaker off switch which takes up the amps load. God I love my amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Unless you have an awesome f-series mesa and it has a speaker off switch which takes up the amps load. God I love my amp.

Mine's cooler.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
You could put a 1/4">1/8" jack in the line out and plug headphones into that... you'd still need a dummy load, though.

DO NOT ADVISE

My friend tried this once and DESTROYED his 1986 JCM800 because he did the tinyest thing slightly wrong - I don't know what, or how, but I witnessed it, and it was horrible.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
DO NOT ADVISE

My friend tried this once and DESTROYED his 1986 JCM800 because he did the tinyest thing slightly wrong - I don't know what, or how, but I witnessed it, and it was horrible.

I feel bad now...

Works fine with my combo, I guess I won't try it with a head anytime soon.
no matter what, you dont buy a head without a cab, so toss out the headphones and play ur music.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011