sry guys i keep annoying you with these stupid threads but this search for tone is killing me. Instead of practicing like i should be, im on the comp reading reviews and listening to demos of all the amps im considering.
well neways....

PROBLEM: i went to my local guitar store today (i trust them with everything) and i was discussing the carvin legacy 2X12. he said it was a monster amp but only plays metal. i told him my desired tone is that of vai/beckers with david lee roth and becker/friedman in cacophony. he said my best bet would be a peavey.

NOW: for my desired tone would it be wiser to go with-

or the VK all are gonna be 2x12 combos.

the only one i tried out was the VK and with a good overdrive and EQ pedal i think my sound could be achieved quite easily. but i want to kno my fellow UG-brother's opinions.
I was under the impression that the carvin was pretty versatile amp, unless I'm thinking of a different one. The 5150 and 6505 are one trick ponies with that one trick being metal. And in the range you are looking, you can do better than the VK.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Legacys are killer amps and NOT just for metal. Very versatile IMO.

This.

And the 6505 and 5150 are the same amp.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

I'm gonna have to disagree with Kevin Saale and acdcrocks0323: the Legacy isn't really a metal amp, and the 5150 can do more than just contemporary metal (decent rock tones).
Quote by seymour_jackson
sry guys i keep annoying you with these stupid threads but this search for tone is killing me. Instead of practicing like i should be, im on the comp reading reviews and listening to demos of all the amps im considering.
well neways....

PROBLEM: i went to my local guitar store today (i trust them with everything) and i was discussing the carvin legacy 2X12. he said it was a monster amp but only plays metal. i told him my desired tone is that of vai/beckers with david lee roth and becker/friedman in cacophony. he said my best bet would be a peavey.

NOW: for my desired tone would it be wiser to go with-

or the VK all are gonna be 2x12 combos.

the only one i tried out was the VK and with a good overdrive and EQ pedal i think my sound could be achieved quite easily. but i want to kno my fellow UG-brother's opinions.

I don't think your best bet is a PV, imo you should stick to the Carvin.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
ahhhh so in ur opinion would it be better to go for the legacy? (keep in mind ive never tried one).

while the peaveys are a bit cheaper and they sound raw which i do like
^^True, but if you want to do anything lighter than metal or very hard rock you can get a better amp.

Quote by seymour_jackson
ahhhh so in ur opinion would it be better to go for the legacy? (keep in mind ive never tried one).

while the peaveys are a bit cheaper and they sound raw which i do like

Well, what kind of sound are you going for? The peavey might be right, but from your first post I kinda though you were into lighter stuff.
i am into light stuff. i love my megadeth but thats pretty much the heaviest ill ever play.

i like that blues overdrive type of stuff incorporated with arpeggios and alternate picking runs. IE becker/vai with david lee roth but still with the complicated stuff of cacophony.

my clean tone would be best described as cacophony's/eric johnson/SRV
I think a classic 30 with an overdrive would work perfectly for you.
No offense dude but if that guitar shop told you to get a 5150 or VK over a Legacy for what you play, then they have no idea what they're talking about. The only Peavey I might consider buying if I was in your boat would be the JSX.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Kevin Saale
I think a classic 30 with an overdrive would work perfectly for you.

I haven't tried the C30, but I don't think it'd have enough gain for shred tones...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^Yeah, probably should have thought of that >.< More gain than you could ever want. Bump the mids and crank the gain on the clean channel and it's very bluesy.
well the guy there didnt know who becker was and doesnt play any guitars with floyd roses. (hes that gibson les paul plugged straight into a marshall amp type of guy).

ive thought from the beginning that the legacy was for me (ive just never tried it). i just want to make sure its bright and gives me that crunchy squealy distortion. i want my amp to scream!

i just listend to demos of the JSX and it does sound nice.
The F-30 can be very bright. The treble knob dictates the whole sound and can take it from dark to near piercing. It's gain is very smooth sounding so you might not like it since you said you like the rawness of the peavey.
if that mesa is as versatile as everyone says it is, its worth a shot. i could just drop the gain a bit on the amp and throw an overdrive on that bad boy and if it could scream why not? lol.

idk wat it is but everytime i mess around with a mesa at guitar center i HATE them. they dont sound close to petruicci's tone or anyone on youtube that has a mesa. i sat there for a half an hour messing around with the EQ and i felt with a variety of pedals i could get an awesome tone, but my view of the amp and the price was "no way!"
They love being cranked. Have you tried an express? Its very similar to an f-30 though I feel the f-30 is better. Those two sound fine at lower volumes though, especially compared to the rectos, but they still love being cranked.
the express is actually the one that i thought was decent. its gain wasnt that high but i still enjoyed playing it.

the other 2 boogies i tried looked old. i kno most of the recto boogies but thats pretty much it.
If you thought the express was decent then you'll probably like the f-30 more. The countour adds tons of gain and running an OD in front of the Overdrive channel does wonders. I think it has more gain than the express.
alright so this is my plan.

go to guitar center ask to use an overdrive pedal on the express and try it out. if i really like it ill go for the f-30 and if i cant find one ill ge tthe express. but the legacy is still #1
I would definitely try to find an f-30 or an f-50 to try out since they are similar to the express, but they are different. If what you said is your only option then when you're using the express then use the burn setting on the drive channel since that's more similar to the f-30's gain.
I'm not fond of the express series from Mesa (they sound really treble to me), the F series wasn't too bad. I like my DC more, and the enter Caliber series is really great. I'm positive they'd do the job well (Megadeth got me into guitar, so quite obviously i've run through some of both Peace Sells... and Rust in Peace albums through it [oh my, Tornado of Souls sounds sick with the right settings]).

Otherwise (and i'm suprised no one else has mentioned this), have you ever heard of the Ampeg VL-1002? It's a really sweet amp that was apparently widely used in the 80s. Lots of shred guys used it (Paul Gilbert's the first that comes to mind). The cleans on it are really nice too (kinda british voiced with a bridge pickup, warmer with the neck on), and the distortion is like a ballsy, higher gain marshall. I believe if you look on youtube and seach "Paul Gilbert DiMarzio", you'll find a vid from the 80s or 90s with Paul plugged into one with his red RG that has dual PAF Pro humbuckers in it. He doesn't use the clean channel, but does clean up the sound a lot, so either way you get to hear it doing more than one sound.

So I'd say either Mesa DC-5, Mesa .50+ Caliber or Ampeg VL-1002 for your needs.
Hold on. You're looking for a vai tone and the guy argued AGAINST a legacy....

It's still vai's signature amp...isn't it?