Yeah i really need some serious help to writing a good, solid punk rock song, because, as you see, everything i write kinda sucks hard. ANy tips on writing? ANy good stuff to sing about? All around way to improve my writing?
Power chords? Palm Muting? Down picking?
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
I'd say with lyrics, find something that Pisses you off or just aggrovates you in one way or another - Usual subjects include the way the countrys' run, been played by a girl like you're a cheap toy, growing pains... Even simple things like making your own way and feeling alone can and have worked. Of course, it doesn;t have to be angry - a lot of bands have made a mint out of the 'Lets' party because we can' vibe, which is something to consider if going the Angsty way doesn't work.
For the music, its' a case of less is more, when it comes to virtuosity. If you can create a simple and fitting rhythm, in most cases power chords are involved, but its' no pre-requisite. Listen to as many bands as you can, get the feel for it, but trust your instincts first above all else.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Quote by Dudeman5000
Power chords? Palm Muting? Down picking?

Too true.
1. Pick something that aggravates you. Bonus points if it's a subject that's been done many times before

2. Come up with a catchy line/rhyme. This is all you need to have a hit song. the rest of the lyrics can be mediocre, but it better have a lyrical hook, preferably in the chorus.

3. Sing it nasally. And at very high speeds.
Quote by Slay 'Em
Too true.

You and that other douche have no idea what your talking about. There's so much more to punk rock than the steriotypicle power chords and palm muteing.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Well it depends what kinda punk were talking. If youre talking about like pop punk like greenday you can just write simple songs about war and the president and love or whatever. Just have a catchy chorus. In my opinion though the best punk is hardcore punk. Not so many people are into it, but the lyrics can be deep or meaningful. Check out some converge and some refused.
R.I.P Samantha

My Gear
Esp Ltd M-400
Randall Rg75W Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Stratocaster
Yamaha something Acoustic
Several other cheap guitars/basses/Amps
power chords, getting dumped by a girl, high school, rebellious underage drinking, graduating, driving, skating, having sex with a girl, complaints about government, power chords, underlying authorities
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
You should play power chords & palm mute. You should have a basic drum beat. You should have a fast tempo. And the lyrics should be about anything you hate and nothing you love.
Powerchords, palm muting, simple bass and drum parts, a good ballence of screaming and singing, lyrics that you, your band, and your audience would be able to relate to. (Emo-styled lyrics like losing somebody work pretty well if you don't mind the label.)
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
-------------------------
Well here's what I do:

Mix up open chords with power chords
Sing about what ever is on my mind

In all you do NOT need to have a fast tempo nor a psychotic singer whom you cant understand squat from while they "sing." A punk rock song can be slow and calm but still have the same messege that is delievered throught the music.

Recommended Listening:

Michale Graves
Total Chaos
Fear
The Misfits
I'd suggest beginning with a catchy little riff, could be notes or could be a 4 power chord progression. Make this riff slightly more quiet and less bassy (if you have the correct equipment to do so), then after the slightest of pauses, kick into the riff with tonnes of distortion, bass, volume. For verses just use 2, 3 or 4 power chords for a simple palm muting section, then maybe a bit of a palm mute build up to the chorus/short singing bridge. For the chorus either use the same chords as the intro or if you used a noted intro pick some catchy chords (or the ones used in the verses). Repeat this pattern then write a short powerful breakdown that makes you headbang. Repeat chorus a final time (maybe after a quiet little intermission) then bust out the intro for a powerful sharp ending.

P.S. The key to a great punk song is contrast: Quiet to loud, Treble to bass, Clean tone to distorted etc etc
Hope I helped
Quote by DieGarbageMan

how could you not forsee the rise of surskits!

Quote by CaptainRon
One second let me just ask my penis.

Reel Big Fish: 20/02.09
Rise Against: 22/02/09
lyrics - anything against goverment
Guitar - power chords 3 chords
Bass - follows guitar
Drums - basic punk beat

there ya go.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by 24fretsftw
I'd suggest beginning with a catchy little riff, could be notes or could be a 4 power chord progression. Make this riff slightly more quiet and less bassy (if you have the correct equipment to do so), then after the slightest of pauses, kick into the riff with tonnes of distortion, bass, volume. For verses just use 2, 3 or 4 power chords for a simple palm muting section, then maybe a bit of a palm mute build up to the chorus/short singing bridge. For the chorus either use the same chords as the intro or if you used a noted intro pick some catchy chords (or the ones used in the verses). Repeat this pattern then write a short powerful breakdown that makes you headbang. Repeat chorus a final time (maybe after a quiet little intermission) then bust out the intro for a powerful sharp ending.

P.S. The key to a great punk song is contrast: Quiet to loud, Treble to bass, Clean tone to distorted etc etc
Hope I helped

I really like 24frets look at it, i think that'll really help me out when writing good lyrics.
write about what the **** u want and dont worry about what anybody thinks and thats as punk as u can get.
I__________________really suck at writing
i dont know what to do
the only way to clear my mind
is. to. ****. you.

here you go a start
IDK any tips for writing cause LOL I'm the worst lyricist that ever lived... prolly the worst singer too but one thing you shouldn't do is force it.  Trying to mimic other peoples stuff just leads to bland emotionless cliche crap (literally everything I have ever written).  xD
Lyrics can be anything, but I'm finding having a passion and conveying the idea via lyrics should be the focus. Keeping a style in mind is nice, but sometimes not consciously trying to pigeon-hole the lyrics into a style helps bring out the passion. Lately, I've been writing the "chorus" first.  

While punk isn't necessarily known for complex riffs, NOFX would like to have a word with you. 

As far as music goes, I keep a notepad out and if I like the riff, I just tab it out there. It's not something extensive or even a complete thought, but just something to remember the idea and tuning (if you bounce all over with tunings).
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer