So I'm finally breaking down and learning all the notes high up on the fretboard. I've been playing by ear for 15 years or so, and never bothered to learn the notes (at sight reading speed) besides the 5th and 6th strings. I'm also teaching my roommate to play and figured I'd get him started early on.

Here's a few pictures of my fretboard. It's hard to see in the crappy picture, but each octave is a different color so you can identify which notes are equal and which are octaved.

I did this painstakingly with a hole puncher and a pen. If stickers already exist for this don't tell me because I don't want to know. :-)

Enjoy!

-James

Lol! Nice! I usually do this on paper just to save time... I'll print a blank fret board up and just write in all the notes (sharps and flats too).
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
It also makes it quite fun to tear through the major scales at high speed. I'll save the idea for later if I ever get stuck learning some odd scale...
lol good job
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
nice! lol i was actually thinking about doing that same thing one day........
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
Quote by Captain Garry
how did you stick them on

I went to target looking for small stickers with letters on them, but I didn't find any.

These started life as large rectangular stickers, like you'd label something with. I then took the stickers and cut out circles with a hole puncher. Once on the fretboard, I labeled the notes. It took an hour or two but I was in good company with a beer so it was fun.

-J
Good job, looks useful.

My first keyboard (piano) had stickers like these, lol.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Pretty good idea. I really need to get round to learning all the notes on the fretboard, I think ill do it the old fashioned way though.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Thats a cool idea man, although I would only do this with a practice guitar.

Heh, could you imagine seeing someone with a guitar like this preforming live on stage?
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
Heh, could you imagine seeing someone with a guitar like this preforming live on stage?

I plan on leaving them on indefinitely... Hopefully they make it into a show before they fall apart or I change strings and tear them off
I want to do something like this but I need to know the reason for the different color stickers?

I fould a picture of guitar notation, am I suppose to color them like this picture? May I no the reason behind this please?

Fretboard Notation
Quote by DominoK
I want to do something like this but I need to know the reason for the different color stickers?

I fould a picture of guitar notation, am I suppose to color them like this picture? May I no the reason behind this please?

Fretboard Notation

Yeah, that's a brilliant tool for learning how to site read faster or to learn which octave of the note to play (position).
Portugal. The Man »–
That's actually a really really good idea in my opinion. It looks like it would make learning the notes alot easier since you can actually see the notes while you are just playing.
Is the color code I linked a few posts up the correct color code to use?
omg, i'd love to do this but i'd be SOOOOOO scared about tarnishing my already withering finish on my guitar. i hate having to think " C's coming up i got this one and this one and this one" i'd just look and BAM there they are.
theres a company that makes these, only they are vinyl and use adhesive that's made to not leave residue and whatnot, you're gonna have to scrub that fretboard when you take those off.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by jasonmetal love
Lol! Nice! I usually do this on paper just to save time... I'll print a blank fret board up and just write in all the notes (sharps and flats too).

It'll probably be harder to see that way, if you think about it.
Quote by DominoK

Fretboard Notation

I think you understand already, but just to clarify. The colors signify the octave ranges. The guitar covers approximately 4 octaves and by seperating them in colors you can easily tell which notes are equal and which are octaves apart.

I hope this helps some people. It's more useful than you might think